When does hunting season end in MS?

22 replies to this topic
  • robklx400

Posted January 20, 2007 - 04:22 PM

I want to ride some trails in south eastern MS (bethal trails), but hunting season has it closed. Any idea when it will open? Thanks, Rob. :lol:

• Bandit9

Posted January 20, 2007 - 06:41 PM

I don't think it is closed b/c of hunting season. I called them and they said Bethel was closed due to excessive rainfall. It was supposed to open on Jan 18th, but it got pushed back to Jan 26th. So as of yesterday, it will be open next weekend. I would call them before you go.

Here is the number
601-928-4422

Blanco

• eauxgod

Posted January 21, 2007 - 06:39 AM

The place is closed to hunters on Sundays so it's advised to ride that day.

• Bandit9

Posted January 21, 2007 - 06:55 AM

So it is closed on Sundays to hunters and open on Saturdays for riding, during hunting season, when there is no rain related closure that is.

Then when hunting season is over and there is no rain related closures, then you can ride both Sat and Sun?

Correct? Yes or No?

• robklx400

Posted January 21, 2007 - 03:53 PM

I don't think it is closed b/c of hunting season. I called them and they said Bethel was closed due to excessive rainfall. It was supposed to open on Jan 18th, but it got pushed back to Jan 26th. So as of yesterday, it will be open next weekend. I would call them before you go.

Here is the number
601-928-4422

Blanco

Thanks for the #, I'm a bit confused about which day to ride. I'm guessing Sunday?

• Bandit9

Posted January 21, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Yeah, me too. Lady I talked too didn't say anything about hunting closures.

• eauxgod

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:42 AM

Just about any riding area can be closed b/c of rain so always call ahead if there is a question.

During hunting season, weather permitting, Sundays are the only day that you can ride b/c De Soto is closed to hunters.

Any other time of the year the trails are open to riders seven day a week, again, weather permiting.

• Bandit9

Posted January 22, 2007 - 06:50 AM

OK, got it now. Sundays is the day to ride during hunting season.

• eauxgod

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:05 AM

I just got off the phone w/ the De Soto office and hunting season ended 1/17. :lol:

Evidently the trails are closed Monday through Saturday during [COLOR="Red"]Deer w/ dog season[/COLOR]. This most recent season lasted from 12/24 ~ 1/17.

Now we just have to wait on the weather.

The lady said to call 601.528.6180 to check rain/trail status.

• robklx400

Posted January 24, 2007 - 03:26 AM

Thanks! :ride: :ride:

• eauxgod

Posted January 26, 2007 - 12:25 PM

Currently closed 'til 2/2/07 :ride:

• jbird710

Posted January 26, 2007 - 12:45 PM

I didn't think hunting season ever closed in Mississippi :ride:

• MS450

Posted January 26, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Count me in and about 5 others. We are up in Jackson, Ms. and are dying for a place to ride. I've got a new '07 RM-Z 450 with 4 hours on it set up for woods. I guess we will call the number next week around Thurs. Feb. 1st to confirm that they will be open Sat. Feb. 3rd. I know at least 3 of us will come down for the day and ride. :ride:

• tbr landscape

Posted February 01, 2007 - 05:47 AM

I know a place that is not affected by hunting and you can ride when its wet the soil is sandy and the terrain is hilly so it drains very well its never sloppy. We ran a hare scramble there this past sunday. We are going to ride this saturday also dont know if thats to far for you. Let me know if you want more info also know some more places to ride. Terry

• tbr landscape

Posted February 01, 2007 - 06:10 AM

Where are yall talking about riding on saturday I live in Brandon, MS. We were planning to go to ohv area in Meridian, MS this saturday its awesome over there! I have a feeling that the other two that were suppose to go this saturday are going to back out because its to cold for them!!! Im setting up a crf450r for the woods and I need some seat time! We ran the hare scramble in Meridian this past saturday its about the best place to ride when its wet not sloppy at all !

• MS450

Posted February 01, 2007 - 10:37 AM

Me and another guy had planned on coming over to Meridian sunday but he could not get a yard pass. I've rode over there alot but its been a while since back in '03. We are planning on trying to go to Bethel still for saturday but if that falls through we may just come over to Meridian. Honestly I'd rather go to Meridain but they all want to go south.

Were you at Got Gear this past Saturday? if so I think we already met.

• tbr landscape

Posted February 01, 2007 - 02:09 PM

Yes I was at got gear, you was with Gus right? Your name is? Our plans were Meridian this saturday but like I said I dont know if its going to work out for the other two that were going so I might be looking to ride else where. Give me some info on Bethel: membership required...etc. Meridian is nice this time of year its not sloppy at all !

Thanks, Terry

• MS450

Posted February 01, 2007 - 03:38 PM

Yep I was with Gus my name is Roy. I talked with Gus today and he thinks Bethel will be better or at least warmer. I am calling their number in the morning to see if they will let us ride Saturday. No fee that I know of it will be our 1st time down there. It is in the Red Creek Wildlife management area. If they won't let us ride Gus said Meridian would be okay. I will know more after tomorrow when I call. There is a sand pit in Pearl that we use as a last resort desperation ride pretty limited but sandy with limited mud and at least a a ride.

Shoot me a PM with your number so we can reach you.

• eauxgod

Posted February 02, 2007 - 04:58 AM

No fee that I know of ...

It's like $5 per truck and from what I understand you will get a ticket if you don't pay. If you do go to Bethel, there is a temp. parking area a little further east on Bethel Rd. from where the directions tell you to turn left off Bethel Rd.

Where in Meridian is a place to ride?

• MS450

Posted February 02, 2007 - 05:11 AM

It's like $5 per truck and from what I understand you will get a ticket if you don't pay. If you do go to Bethel, there is a temp. parking area a little further east on Bethel Rd. from where the directions tell you to turn left off Bethel Rd.

Where in Meridian is a place to ride?

thanks for the info! We are stll a go I am calling in few hours about 9 am. Are you coming over?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Single track trails in wind rock? by Dmills345

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Southeast
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Alabama

Dual Sport and/or Trail Riding by NoRoadsNeeded

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   South
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Arkansas

Trail PAC Endorses Tom Cotton for Senate in AR Today by cuttenkid

• 0 replies
Where 2 Ride

Top Gun MX

1757 highway 25, gallatin, tn 37066

Forums
Photo
Texas

Houston. The John Penton Story by Home Skillet

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.