waterproofing electrical?????

4 replies to this topic
  • bork

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:05 AM

I hear one should seal all connectors with silicon, to aid in those real deep water crossings. What is meant by silicon? Is it the spray? or di-electric compond? or hopefully not rtv?

• cleonard

Posted January 20, 2007 - 11:35 AM

I hear one should seal all connectors with silicon, to aid in those real deep water crossings. What is meant by silicon? Is it the spray? or di-electric compond? or hopefully not rtv?

It's the grease, not the glue, that is being referred to. You can get it at any auto parts store. It is usually in a little tube and is called "dielectric grease." Some of the formulations are silicone and some are not. You have to be a little more careful with the silicone stuff. It is basically RTV that never hardens. It can irritate skin and is really bad if it gets in your eyes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted January 20, 2007 - 12:46 PM

Yep, what Cleonard said.

• bork

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:48 AM

So do you fill & plug in all connectors or just smear on outside? cake it up ugly? & do you guys do the spark plug/boot ?

• cleonard

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:36 AM

So do you fill & plug in all connectors or just smear on outside? cake it up ugly? & do you guys do the spark plug/boot ?

Fill and plug. The idea is to make is so there is no place for the water to get in.

I've never done the sparkplug boot. It should seal the way it is, but I guess that the grease would help. Just use a little so it seals better. I think that the connection on the coil end is much more vulnerable.

I've never had an issue where the bike quits due to water. However, I'm in southern California and deep water crossings are only a few times per year thing. I'd guess that it's a lot bigger issue in Florida. I use the grease stuff more for long term reliability. It keeps the water out so the connections dont corrode.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.