need help setting up suspension

6 replies to this topic
  • nillbag

Posted January 20, 2007 - 07:27 AM

I have been riding my 06 yz 450 the way it came from the factory and I notice it seems a little stiff I ride some trails and some track what would be the best setup for both any suggestions would be a big help thank you.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:03 AM

http://www.mx-tech.com/?id=support

• IamKazam

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:13 AM

link doesn't work

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:35 AM

The forks can be a little stiff if you don't keep your speed up on the track and I bet it can be pretty tough on the trails. My suggestion is this. If you are between 170-190 lbs, don't mess with valving or springs. This bike is valved really, really well from the factory and it's very hard to improve on. If it's too stiff, turn those clickers out and experiment until you find a setting that works well for you. To soften the forks a bit you can take out some fork oil, but this will generally only soften the forks after halfway through the stroke.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:48 AM

link doesn't work

Try it now. Go down the page to the tuning guide.

The fork is also sensitive to oil level changes in the outer chamber as small as 5cc.

• David37

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Have you tried setting the sag on your bike? Do you bleed your forks before each ride? You can try turning your compression clickers out one click at a time on your forks and shock which will soften up your suspension.

• red7

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:37 PM

How long have you had your bike? I just got my '06 and it's taken a little while for the springs to brake in. It's great on the track now but I need to soften it up a little when I go trail riding. This is fine compared to my way too soft suspension on my WR450. I bottom it out just trail riding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.