06 450 rear hub

29 replies to this topic
  • aford541

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:46 PM

That's extremely common. The '06+ needs more slack than the earlier ones.

And the 07 needs even more .

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:50 PM

The '06 manual specifies 1.9-2.3". What's the '07 spec.?

• NDC

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:03 AM

There's not a day that goes by at the track that at least one person comes up and says I'm running my chain too loose. What's worse is after I explain it to the other YZ450 owners they go back and check theirs.

• yz375

Posted January 23, 2007 - 07:46 PM

OK... still don't have the bike. Just waiting or Yamaha to authorize repair. I think they are going to step up on this one.

Two seperate issues on my failures:

The first was caused by the sproket bolt theory where they aren't tightened properly and they failed, causing sproket to come loose and sheer(sp?)break hub/chain guard/ pretty good chunk out of swingarm.
(I thought I was on top of everything, but obviously something wore wrong and I sucked it up)

This issue was the tight chain theory, however, I was not running my chain tight, it seemed really loose. But following rec. that's right. I checked the sproket bolts right before the ride.
Went out rolled around , second lap slow off-on, lap 3 right after I got going landing off a smallish double out a long section. (lake elsinore)Clank locked up!
As soon as I slid to the side, I knew and looked right away. All the bolts snapped except one which was still in one ear of the hub. That piece had broke loose, the entire sprocket(afam 48 or stock) was bent outward away from the bike.

We literally carried it to the dealer after loading and left it intact. Hopefully the pieces that yamaha will assumingly ask for will help determine something.
I will keep you posted

I've heard Talon, and Rad wheels mentioned. Any other favorites or recommend for wheel assemb. priced undr $500? Ebay maybe? I want to price out on my own, I may buy one for piece of mind

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2007 - 08:55 PM

"What is causing the bolts to break" is the next question?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted January 23, 2007 - 10:15 PM

If it bent the sprocket the chain was too tight, plain and simple.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:10 AM

"What is causing the bolts to break" is the next question?

my guess: they got stretched by too much torque...then sheared

• Ga426owner

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:13 AM

If it bent the sprocket the chain was too tight, plain and simple.

possible but probably loosened enough to get folded ... seen this a couple of times from either loose or over tighten sprocket bolts...especially if the sprocket holes get elongated...

• john simonette

Posted February 21, 2009 - 08:41 AM

notice it on my 06 450 today. It's bumming me out because of the expensive venture. Is Yamaha really going to step up and help you out?

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2009 - 11:49 AM

John,

This thread is two years old. I doubt you'll get a response from the OP.

Which problem are you having, trouble with the bolts, or with the bearing pocket loosening?

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.