06 450 rear hub

29 replies to this topic
  • yz375

Posted January 19, 2007 - 10:20 PM

2nd time now! Blew the rear hub apart at a local track today!! Awhile back there was a thread mentioning some issues people were having with this. Anyone had any problems, only asking 06 owners. I have owned previous years without any problems.

So far Yamaha has been solid supporting me today, they told me to bring it by an auth. dealer and they would handle it! I will know more once the two speak to each other. Anyway, happy Yamaha stepped up right away, but a little concerned about this happening again. This time was on a landing, so pretty much lucked out again!!!! Scary for sure

• Ga426owner

Posted January 20, 2007 - 05:53 AM

2nd time now! Blew the rear hub apart at a local track today!! Awhile back there was a thread mentioning some issues people were having with this. Anyone had any problems, only asking 06 owners. I have owned previous years without any problems.

So far Yamaha has been solid supporting me today, they told me to bring it by an auth. dealer and they would handle it! I will know more once the two speak to each other. Anyway, happy Yamaha stepped up right away, but a little concerned about this happening again. This time was on a landing, so pretty much lucked out again!!!! Scary for sure

what are they saying in regards to why it is happening? Is there a TSB Technical Service Bulletin on this? Please let us know what they say and why....:lol:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:37 AM

Something's going on here. Is your chain too tight, a roller seized up or something else?

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:52 AM

Something's going on here. Is your chain too tight, ...?

That's extremely common. The '06+ needs more slack than the earlier ones.

• yz375

Posted January 20, 2007 - 11:02 AM

I will let you all know, we haven't really discussed the important stuff yet. Just logistics, getting bike to auth. dealer.

I am just feeling very fortunate right now, if you have ever blown a rear wheel(hub/sprockets) you know how scary it is. All I have been thinking about is that J.Stewart crash last year in the nationals when his engine siezed up. There is nothing subtle(sp?) about it!

Need to remind everyone, Yamaha supported me 100% yesterday, we will see what happens as this unfolds.

Since this happened to me the first time, i have been very cautious of the sprocket and chain. That's the toughest part about this, I am sure all the bolts were tight, chain was running borderline loose when it happened. I feel like I did all I could, I love the bike, but it's kind of in my head right now.

• 2stroke13

Posted January 21, 2007 - 12:12 PM

Never had a problem until I tightened the chain,,,first ride blew the hub apart!
Chain slack always stays at 3 fingers behind slider plate now

• Ga426owner

Posted January 21, 2007 - 12:40 PM

Never had a problem until I tightened the chain,,,first ride blew the hub apart!
Chain slack always stays at 3 fingers behind slider plate now

this has worked for me on 6 YZFs and 2 WRs from 99 - 06 as well as setting the new sprocket bolts with locktite and letting it set up for 24hrs, never retightening until a sprocket change

• 02YZ426

Posted January 21, 2007 - 05:55 PM

If your concerned about it happening again, maybe you should consider getting a Talon hub next time. I haven't had any problems with my 06 yet... knock on wood. I keep my chain slack at 2 inches behind the slider.

• yz375

Posted January 21, 2007 - 07:50 PM

I can't wait until I speak to the dealer tomorrow! I would seriously consider an AM hub if I was paying for the replacement. I think the chain length is key, i will let everyone know if they have any special reccom.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I've seen these hubs blown two different ways. One is by allowing the rear sprocket to loosen, drop bolts, and break the remaining sprocket tabs off. The other way is the drive flange is torn off with the bolts in place and tight. The cause of the second type of failure is almost always a chain that's set too tight and runs out of slack as the swing arm passes over center of travel.

The '06 chain tension specification calls for more slack on the stand than previous models because the lower roller is mounted lower, and does not bear against the chain as much, thus taking up less of the slack when the suspension is fully extended than on the older bikes. People incorrectly view the increased slack as excessive, and over tighten the chain, sometimes with disastrous results. The slack is measured with the bike on a stand by lifting the chain and measuring from the rear slider bolt to the pins of the chain. The correct MINIMUM slack is 1.9".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz375

Posted January 22, 2007 - 10:49 AM

I just recieved a message from the aut. dealer. Yamaha will NOT cover it now! Apparently the first level of customer service simply wants you to get the bike to the auth. dealer. They mentioned that it happens a lot on these bikes and that its a user maintenance issue. WOW, looks like I am going aftermarket on the rear wheel and will let the new buyer know the deatails.

Just an FYI - I have purchased 11 Yamahas in 4 years, was about as brand loyal as you can be. Probably helped sell many more to friends that started riding or bought new bikes. What a bunch of crap, not even offering the parts at cost??? Bad business!!!

I am going to pick up my bike now!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I was hoping you would get a positive result.....a friend of mine here in atlanta just went thru a similar nightmare with Yamaha on a 07 YZ250...with a blown motor due to a factory mistake....cost him 1800 out of pocket :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 11:31 AM

The cause of ... failure is almost always a chain that's set too tight and runs out of slack as the swing arm passes over center of travel.

It will do you a lot more good to learn from the experience and avoid repeating the error, perhaps even letting your friends know so they don't make the same mistake, than it will to bash Yamaha for their decision that the failure was of your own making.

They bought you one hub for the same reason already, but you apparently didn't learn from it. That they now choose not to buy you a second one is not surprising to me. Were I the Yamaha service rep in your area, my instructions to the dealer would have been to test fit a rear wheel in your bike with the same size rear sprocket you were running and without moving the chain adjusters. If the chain was found at less than the specified 1.9", I would have declared you an owner, and that would have been that. It's right for them to step up when it's their fault, and it's also right for them to refuse to when it's yours.

If it were a different sort of failure, things would be different. Likewise, if it were some other manufacturer, one like many I could name that have a record of denying they have problems with their products, I would be more prone to take the part of the consumer on this. But this is the same company that initiated a world-wide recall on the YZ250F, and tying up production resources in the process, almost before the public even knew there was a problem, and has fixed every one of them without being asked. They are also the same people who gave you one new rear hub already, when, IMO, they probably shouldn't have.

That sounds harsh, I know, and I mean nothing personal by it. But that's my opinion. You aren't required to like it, accept it, or agree with it, but I think you should give at least a little thought.

• yz375

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:10 PM

I completely agree with everything you just said GR. However, you must have misread something. I never recieved anything from Yamaha for the first failure, I handled it on my own.

Secondly, I did mention that I was running my chain on the loose end of spec. The type of failure I had is typically caused by running a tight chain.

Last but not least, Yamaha is now working with my local area dealer to help resolve, I was just there. I don't believe i bashed Yamaha or had any intention to do so in the future. Simply stated my opinion of how this specific situation was handled. They called me and let me know that our notes from Fri. were not forwarded to the proper tech. channels. That caused them to deny the dealers request for assistance. Bad business, it was what it was.

FYI - there is no service bulletin on this, however, self admittedly by Yamaha, this is happening pretty frequently. Seems like this would be just as imporatant to address as the 06 250f valves, with way less of a financial reprec. and more importanly from a safety perspec.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I
FYI - there is no service bulletin on this, however, self admittedly by Yamaha, this is happening pretty frequently. Seems like this would be just as imporatant to address as the 06 250f valves, with way less of a financial reprec. and more importanly from a safety perspec.

shoot I was hoping to hear that there is a TSB on the spinning bearing on the chain side hub....:lol:
I think that a majority of the problem you are having is chain tension unfortunately....and that is why Yamaha is not issuing a TSB on this...I hope they assist you on this...they are not much assistance in this area of the country either...
:confused:

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:42 PM

I completely agree with everything you just said GR. However, you must have misread something. I never recieved anything from Yamaha for the first failure, I handled it on my own.

Secondly, I did mention that I was running my chain on the loose end of spec. The type of failure I had is typically caused by running a tight chain.

My mistake as to the previous repair.

If they were able to establish that your chain tension was correct, what do they contend caused the failure, inasmuch as they claim user maintenance? Perhaps no one has yet thought of the test I suggested. You might point it out to them as a way to see what the conditions were at the time of failure.

• yz375

Posted January 22, 2007 - 02:00 PM

that's actually not a bad idea, it makes sense to me. I will run this by them when we get something solid established.

Does anyone know if GYTR puts out an upgraded rear wheel assem.? In the message I left, I mentioned I would possibly be willing to pay cost plus labor if such an improvement was avail to public..

• aedwards07

Posted January 22, 2007 - 02:07 PM

Welcome to the club.It happened to me twice.Where is yours breaking.Yamaha supported it 100% both times.I switched to RAD hex hubs and now an not worrying about it anymore.

• 02YZ426

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Welcome to the club.It happened to me twice.Where is yours breaking.Yamaha supported it 100% both times.I switched to RAD hex hubs and now an not worrying about it anymore.

Those are nice hubs! A little pricey though

• warrior86

Posted January 22, 2007 - 07:33 PM

can you post a pic of your grenaded rear hub? I just replaced my rear sprocket (stock one is shit) and i noticed that in between the two bearings is a spacer. I dont remember from my previous bike but in this situation...the spacers can jiggle around inside the hub. Is this normal?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.