Need help changing oil on 06 yz450f

19 replies to this topic
  • kents_504

Posted January 19, 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hey guys,
I recently picked up a really nice 06 yz450f and am in need of doing an oil/filter change. I forgot to get the manual from the guy i bought it from but I called and he is mailing it out. I just need to know like step by step directions for draing the oil. I came off a 02 yz250f so i know how to do the filter and such, but just dont know where to drain the oil from or how much to put back in(Ive heard 1qt???). Thanks in advance for the help.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Download a PDF Manual:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

1> Run the engine for about one minute, and shut down.
2> Remove the dipstick and drain the oil from the oil "tank" at the drain plug located below ignition cover (left side). Replace the plug.
3> Remove the top two oil pump filter bolts, then the lower one and remove the oil filter cover. Service the filter and replace the cover.
4> Drain the crankcase at the drain plug cleverly located directly behind the frame rail on the right side, below the kick starter. (yes, you do detect sarcasm).
5> Fill with 1.1 qts oil, replace the dipstick, start and run for 1-2 minutes, shut down for at least 30 seconds, and check the level.

• djtroy

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Download a PDF Manual:

2> Remove the dipstick and drain the oil from the oil "tank" at the drain plug located below ignition cover (left side). Replace the plug.
3> Remove the top two oil filter cover bolts, then the lower one and remove the oil filter cover. Service the filter and replace the cover.
4> Drain the crankcase at the drain plug cleverly located directly behind the frame rail on the right side, below the kick starter. (yes, you do detect sarcasm).
5> Fill with 1.1 qts oil, replace the dipstick, start and run for 1-2 minutes, shut down for at least 30 seconds, and check the level.

I didnt see any dipstick!!!

• DPW

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:24 PM

did you download the manual? all there...

• red7

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Download a PDF Manual:

3> Remove the top two oil filter cover bolts, then the lower one and remove the oil filter cover. Service the filter and replace the cover.

My new '06 only has 3 oil changes on it but I'm always surprised that it always takes less then the above recommended oil. I do it exactly like Grayracer recommends and then put in one full qt. When I go back to check it's always overfilled so I have to use the drain to get it to go down. Why am I not getting all of the oil out using the above recommendations? I even lean the bike over to the side I'm draining to see if I can get any more out.

• red7

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:33 PM

Dipstick is the black round plastic thing that stands straight up on the front left side of the motor. It threw me off a little compared to my WR450.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:48 PM

I do it exactly like Grayracer recommends and then put in one full qt. When I go back to check it's always overfilled so I have to use the drain to get it to go down.

Ours used to show overfill at 1 qt. until we started giving it a little longer to settle down after run up. I think it's due to air bubbles in the return line that keep oil spilling out of the line onto the stick for a bit after shut down.

• red7

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:41 PM

Well, that probably explains it because it actually kind of bubbles out of where the dipstick goes as if the oil level is rising inside the engine.

• djtroy

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Ok I have a few more noob questions....

I still don't see a dipstick, I see the black plastic filler cap but it doesnt have a dipstick on it. I was also wondering how you know when its too full. I guess if it had a dipstick you would know. Is that little bolt in the side the one for checking the fill level?

• Ga426owner

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:42 AM

I still don't see a dipstick, I see the black plastic filler cap but it doesnt have a dipstick on it. I was also wondering how you know when its too full. I guess if it had a dipstick you would know. Is that little bolt in the side the one for checking the fill level?

on a 06/07 the dipstick is right in front of the cylinder on the front of the motor - a black knob :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:43 AM

manual??? in the front of the cylinder

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Item #27 is the dip stick. As they say, RTFM.

Posted Image

• YourHero11

Posted November 05, 2007 - 01:38 PM

I just changed the oil in my 06 last night. The dipstick is behind and a little of to the left of the filler cap. There is the black filler cap and then there should be a tall black knob behind it. Its higher on the case too.

• THE FALCON

Posted July 31, 2009 - 05:42 AM

Hey all,

I heard that you can buy oil straight from autostore or walmart. but i am not sure on the right oil weights to use. I ride a yz450f.

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2009 - 06:18 AM

Hey all,

I heard that you can buy oil straight from autostore or walmart. but i am not sure on the right oil weights to use. I ride a yz450f.

Get a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

Read:

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

• zano_17

Posted August 06, 2009 - 04:57 AM

its pretty much behind the frame down tube, next to the oil return line in front of your cylinder head.

• Justin89

Posted August 06, 2009 - 07:59 AM

Sorry for the bad pick but you can see it right behing the clutch cable

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Wouldn't you think he'd have found it sometime in the last 32 months?

• Justin89

Posted August 06, 2009 - 08:06 PM

Wouldn't you think he'd have found it sometime in the last 32 months?

OH sorry:bonk: I saw you responded to one of the posters ^ so I figured it was current. My bad...again:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted August 06, 2009 - 08:23 PM

I saw you responded to one of the posters

Another newbie reopening an old thread to ask an unrelated question. What can you do? :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ450F 2015
  • * * * * -
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by dios de la tierra
  • On November 12, 2014
Forums
Photo

Problem with 14 450s by boegey

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  40 replies
Forums
Photo

Cycra Powerflow Plastic Kit YZ250F/YZ450F (2014/15) by Quake

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 14 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 prices? by rk8950

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Beginner 2014 YZ 450 F or 2015 YZ 250 F ? by Tomsz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  45 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.