Which clutch basket?

6 replies to this topic
  • fowler175

Posted January 19, 2007 - 08:08 PM

I was just wondering what people have been using to replace the stock basket? I know the Hinson is popular, but was wondering about the Moose, Barnett, and Wiseco baskets. Also, how much longer life can one expect from any of these compared to oem replacements? The next obvious question is regarding the friction plates and springs. Are oem the best out there, or are there better, or equal replacements available?

Thanks for any input.

• 642MX

Posted January 19, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I just replaced my basket this summer on my 02 model. Since it lasted nearly 5 years I bought another OEM basket. I didn't have much luck with my stock plates. Ferodo clutches last a long time and so do the Tusk from Rocky Mountain (they are made by EBC).

• motoag93

Posted January 19, 2007 - 08:45 PM

I replaced the stock basket on my old kx250 with a Hinson. After 9 months of riding (not hard mind you), not even a blemish. I think I got it for about $300 but can't remember exactly (off ebay).

Not sure about the yami design but you may have to get someone to press fit the drive gear to the basket for you.....unless you have a press.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2007 - 09:06 PM

The Yamaha basket replacement works differently. There 5 or six rivets that hold the primary gear/torsional cushion assembly onto the basket, and these must have the heads drilled off and be punched out. The new basket is supplied with a set of Allen bolts that replace the rivets.

The best buy, IMO, is the GYT-R basket. It's a Hinson for less money, simple as that. Both the Hinson and GYT-R parts are akadized, which is an advanced form of hard anodizing, and will last a good deal longer than OEM parts. The other brands you mention use less expensive approaches to that, IIRC, but still are better than stock. For the money, though, the GYT-R stuff is very hard to beat.

• fowler175

Posted January 20, 2007 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for the replys. I will have a look ay the gytr, but I think the Hinson was around $210 here on TT. As for the plates and springs, I may try the tusks. I just want to make sure that I am not replacing them right away again.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 20, 2007 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for the replys. I will have a look ay the gytr, but I think the Hinson was around $210 here on TT. As for the plates and springs, I may try the tusks. I just want to make sure that I am not replacing them right away again.

I suggest the GYTR clutch plates and springs....they seem to offer the best feel and best performance....over all but Hinson which is similar

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 20, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Barnett all the way. The stainless steel inserts all but eliminate notching, and if they do notch, you can replace the inserts instead of the whole basket.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.