Have some questions about the 426 plz help

10 replies to this topic
  • yama426rider

Posted January 18, 2007 - 05:19 PM

ok heres the thing. I just got my 426 done after a long and LARGE rebuild and i dont wanna have to do it again any where in the near future, so, Here are the questions
1) What is the correct way to check the oil?
2) How often should i change the oil?
3) Should i change the oil filter every time?
4) And i run Rotella, some pros at my local track said this was the best is this true?
5) Is there anything else i should do often to keep it in good shape and a reliable machine?

Thanks for the help :lol:

• 642MX

Posted January 18, 2007 - 05:51 PM

ok heres the thing. I just got my 426 done after a long and LARGE rebuild and i dont wanna have to do it again any where in the near future, so, Here are the questions
4) And i run Rotella, some pros at my local track said this was the best is this true?
5) Is there anything else i should do often to keep it in good shape and a reliable machine?

1. Start the motor, idle for 2 minutes, shut it off, and then check it.
2. Every ride
3. Yes
4. Rotella is a fine oil
5. Replace the cam chain yearly & clean your air filter every ride (even if it looks clean).

• Goosedog

Posted January 18, 2007 - 05:56 PM

I change my oil every other ride so I don't really worry about checking it the level.

It takes exactly 1 1/2 qrts with filter change so again, I don't worry about checking the level.

I use a stainless steel reuseable filter and clean it in the parts washer each time.

It's pricey but I like Yamalube 4R (or is it R4) oil, my clutch seems to like it too.

Keep checking your bearings, especially swingarm. If you haven't done it yet you should tear the SA down and service it.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 18, 2007 - 05:59 PM

1) Run the bike for a couple minutes then shut it off. Unscrew the filler cap, wipe it clean, then reinsert it but do not screw it in. Then pull it out again and check the level.
2) I change the oil every 6 - 8 hours of riding time.
3) I have a reuseable filter and I clean every other oil change.
4) I run Rotella 15w-40. It is a good oil and is reasonably priced. Best oil? Ask 20 people that question and you will get 20 different answers!
5) Clean your airfilter after every day of riding. Regrease your bearings regularly...swingarm, shock, shock linkage, steering head, wheel bearings. I ride every weekend and try to do this once a month. If you are riding in wet muddy conditions or crossing streams do it more often. Keep your chain lubed and adjusted properly. Keep your bike clean! :lol:

• Jessthro

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:09 PM

either you guys have alot of extra cash layin around or you ride once a month. changing the oil after EVERY ride?

these engines arent made of glass. im not saying dont change the oil on a regular basis but atleast run it a few times in between.

every 3-4 rides wont harm anything. hell i change it every 5-6 hard rides and that includes dunes and track. i also ride with 2 crf 450s another yami and a kx 450. they change theirs about as often as i do and their bikes run great.

i also have a 06 yfz 450 quad that has full blown motorwork and i do the same thing with it. after a year of hard use its never had a problem.

of course if your paranoid then by all means...but realistically every ride is overkill. atleast be crazy and do it every 2.

focuse more on the "fun" aspect of owning a machine. the riding part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jessthro

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:19 PM

one last thing. i know people are gonna disagree, this is an open forum and in no way am i saying anyone is wrong. if you have OCD or really like working on your bike, then by all means do it as often as you like. i was just stating what works for me and the guys i ride with. and the money i save on oil i can fill the cooler up with.

• yama426rider

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the help guys TT is great! The oil filter is i guess reusable its not plastic or paper some type of metal does this mean i can re use it? What kind of parts cleaner do i use to clean it? thanks again

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:38 PM

642MX, Goosdog, 426rider are right on. I am kind of middle of the road like Jessthro. 642MX be easy on me here.

1.) As mentioned already, run for 2 minutes, check oil - I actually do loosen the carriage bolt at the top by the carb to make sure I have oil flow after every oil change - Like the manual recommends.
2.) I go as long as 10-12 hours which is usually a couple of rides. (Sometimes 3)
3.) I change the oil filter ever other oil change & clean/reuse
4.) I run AMSOIL - No Rekluse for now
5.) Change Air filter often - I agree - Best after every ride. Important to clean the area around the airbox well while in there.
Keeping a bike clean is good, especially if you have time, but I usually only clean my bike if it is really muddy or I am going to work on it. After a dusty day on the trails or MX track, not going to clean it here...

All said, I have an 00 which I bought used and have rode and raced it for 3 + years with no problems. Yes I am due for a rebuild & valve check but the basic intervals I have used have worked fine for me.

• 642MX

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:23 PM

but I usually only clean my bike if it is really muddy or I am going to work on it. After a dusty day on the trails or MX track, not going to clean it here.

Your killing me. :lol: When are we rebuilding it? I can't this weekend....maybe next?

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2007 - 08:14 PM

1. See the first posted reply. Check it right AFTER the last ride of the day, too, because two weeks later, it won't show on the stick.
2) Every 3 ride days, or 10 hours, max. (more often if you run cheaper oil, or if you race it)
3)Yes. Get a Scotts stainless filter and you won't have an excuse not to.
4)No. It isn't the best, IMO. It doesn't rise to the level of an oil like Amsoil MCF or Mobil 1 MX4T.
5) Keep the oil fresh, the filters clean, the bearings greased, and don't let little problems grow into big ones. It already is reliable, and it only needs a little help from you.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted January 18, 2007 - 09:28 PM

Your killing me. :lol: When are we rebuilding it? I can't this weekend....maybe next?

Yeah - Thanks for being easy on me. Sent you a PM. And now to your regular programming...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.