Setting sag...standing or sitting?

9 replies to this topic
  • red7

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:04 PM

In reading through past threads it seems like the popular sag setting is around 98 mm. However, are most of you setting yours while standing on the pegs or sitting on the seat? http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm recommends standing while the manual says sitting.

I didn't suit up since I knew I'd have to remeasure after I got some responses to this thread but with shorts and flipflops on (Yeah I know from watching the weather it's freezing back in the States while it's 81 degrees out here so it's ok to hate me:p ), I came it at 98mm while sitting and 89mm while standing. Will it change much with helmet and gear on and then should I work off of the sitting or standing? If it wouldn't change much with the extra few pounds and sitting was the correct way then I'm dead on at 98mm but I'm thinking that's not the accurate way to do it.

I'm not going to ride until this afternoon when it cools down a little so I have time to dial it in.

• red7

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:10 PM

Also, just so that I don't end up having to set it and measure it 100 times is there a rough formula for gettting it close so that I can just fine tune it a few times. For instance let's say that the correct measurement is 89mm so I have to raise it to 98mm is 10mm like 1 whole revolution, 2, 3? And I'd need to spin it up to decrease preload and increase sag correct?

Thanks!

• Yamahafan

Posted January 18, 2007 - 02:03 PM

Go weigh all your equipment INCLUDING HELMET & BOOTS. I'll bet it is close to 15 pounds. I usually wear a back pack with 15 pounds of dumbbells when I measure sag. I think 15 pounds makes a difference.

Standing or sitting? - I think an MXer should measure sag standing and woods riders sitting.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 18, 2007 - 02:14 PM

I'm not going to ride until this afternoon when it cools down a little so I have time to dial it in.

Jeez, nice problem to have...it was 12 deg. f on my last ride.

I measure my sag while sitting. If done standing I would think that you would be putting more weight on the front end and not getting an accurate measurment. But like Yamahafan suggests, perhaps it should be done in the manner that matches your riding style closest...I'm mainly a woods rider and I stand whenever possible.

• red7

Posted January 18, 2007 - 02:52 PM

I would have thought sitting would have been preferred as well since the pegs distributed the weight to both wheels more than sitting. People seem to feel 98mm is around the optimum setting so thats somewhat agreed upon within a few mm either direction but if some measure there sitting and others standing then we are talking about a full centimeter difference which seems substantial to me. I ride a little more track then trails but like both. If there is no consensus then is there a happy medium since I ride both?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2007 - 03:16 PM

The proper, repeatable way to do this so that where you sit is not an issue is to have two people to help. One holds the bike upright, one measures, and you stand on the pegs with your hands off the bars. Use an adjacent wall for balance.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 18, 2007 - 03:23 PM

The proper, repeatable way to do this so that where you sit is not an issue is to have two people to help. One holds the bike upright, one measures, and you stand on the pegs with your hands off the bars. Use an adjacent wall for balance.

I also suggest being geared up while you do it....:lol:

• red7

Posted January 18, 2007 - 04:23 PM

That makes sense to me now because when I went back to measure once suited up before my ride it dawned on me that sitting back further would measure more sag. Suiting up made a big (6-8mm) difference. So my stock setting is 97 mm standing and 104 sitting. Sounds like there is no need to change at this time.

For future reference though, approximately how many mm does it change if you turn the nut 1 full turn?

Thanks!

• flintlock28

Posted January 18, 2007 - 04:28 PM

If I remember correctly on my 04' yz450f.... each turn equals 1.5mm.

If that's wrong, I'll repost the correct number's, after consulting the manual.

• red7

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:15 PM

I was looking in the settin suspension part at the back of the manual an didn't see anything which is why I asked. These manuals are great but sometimes they have bits of information in several different parts of the book so it's hard to find in pinch.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.