KLR 650 exhaust

8 replies to this topic
  • dustball

Posted January 19, 2002 - 02:23 PM

I am going to pick up my new KLR650 in a few days and was wondering, is there anything a soon to be poor guy like me can do to increase the exhaust flow on the stock pipe? I do plan on getting a jet kit and K&N air filter but will have to wait for more $$$$$ before I can buy a performance exhaust, Also, What is the best exhaust to get for the KLR? I'm an old fart and hate loud bikes! are there any that are reasonably quiet?

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: dustball ]

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: dustball ]

• simon@vic

Posted January 22, 2002 - 09:04 PM

-there is almost no way to modify your stock klr pipe.
-NO NOT BUY A K&N FOR YOUR KLR is has less flow then the stock
-also dont bother buying a jet kit for you klr, if you have the stock pipe just rase the needle one clip {by lowering the clip on the needel} and get a new main jet that is 2 sizs biigger. the pilot should be fine.

when i was working for kawasaki i was the "klr guy" because it was a spotbike shop and i was the only one who was into enduros.

some things you need to watch out for.
-fully disconnect the choke cable at the carb end befor working on it, the thin plastic cracks very easly if you try to rotate the carb
-valve cover bolts strip very easly
-balencer chain must be adjusted regulerly
-exaust valve "B" will get tight quicker then the rest.

email me if you have any quesions on this good yet very heavy and old bike

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: simon@vic ]

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: simon@vic ]

• AccidentalLeader

Posted October 22, 2005 - 03:45 PM

The cheapest way to get more out of your stock KLR exhaust is to wrap the header pipe & muffler/spark arrestor with header wrap. I have done this with my '06 KLR 650 with good results. Using header wrap- 1" wide on the header pipe, 2" wide on the muffler/spark arrestor, keeps your exhaust gases hotter, which in turn doesn't slow the exhaust velocity as much as an unwrapped pipe. This procedure actually keeps some of the heat from transferring from the header pipe to the engine's cylinder--where it's less than a half an inch from touching already. It cost me less than $75 for a roll of each- 1" & 2" wide wrap and extra stainless steel hose clamps. I still have enough to re-wrap the pipe and muffler in the event that it starts looking nasty or starts wearing out. I don't see that happening anytime soon though. I was able to reinstall the sheilds on the header pipe and the muffler. @ $75, it beats several hundred for an aftermarket muffler. To help prove the fact that it works, the engine actually runs a little too lean with just this modification alone. Any other mods to the airbox and such will only aggravate the lean mixture further. It's not a new idea. Auto drag racers have been doing this for decades. I just haven't heard anyone with this idea for the KLR.

Hope this helps.

• Pro_Marinero

Posted October 23, 2005 - 05:11 PM

[quote name='simon@vic-also dont bother buying a jet kit for you klr, if you have the stock pipe just rase the needle one clip {by lowering the clip on the needel} and get a new main jet that is 2 sizs biigger. the pilot should be fine.
QUOTE']

Jeez, this post was resurrected from the dead.

For anyone who's actually using it for info though, the KLR has no clip on the needle. It can only be shimmed. Better yet, chuck and get an adjustable KLX650 needle not only for the clip but for the taper. It helps on the "lean surging" which can plague KLR's when the needle is shimmed up.

• crooks420

Posted December 22, 2005 - 06:03 PM

Ok, I just picked up a needle, clip, spacer and jet for my 05 KLR 650 (these are for the 94 KLX650). The question is: which clip position will give best performance? I am in California. I chucked the Fuel Evap system, and have installed the adjustable fuel mixture screw 2.5 turns out.

Jesse

• turbodude750

Posted May 06, 2009 - 04:49 PM

does anyone have a stock c model pipe for a klx 650 for sale?

• rdhj

Posted May 15, 2009 - 05:24 PM

"Better yet, chuck and get an adjustable KLX650 needle not only for the clip but for the taper. It helps on the "lean surging" which can plague KLR's when the needle is shimmed up."

HMM, can you describe what the bike feels lie with a lean surge. I have the 22 cent mod and I noticed that while I'm cruising at high speeds sometimes i think i feel it running out of gas. Go and get gas to find out that I have plenty. Is this what lean surging is? Wonder if I should get this needle.:doh:

• Trailryder42

Posted May 16, 2009 - 05:20 AM

Before you go playing with the needle any more, make sure your fuel line and vacuum line to the petcock is not slightly kinked.

Make sure the fuel tank is venting properly. The vent seals in the gas cap get sticky sometimes and don't vent the tank properly.

Are you running an inline fuel filter other than the sintered bronze type?

What year model is your bike?

HMM, can you describe what the bike feels lie with a lean surge. I have the 22 cent mod and I noticed that while I'm cruising at high speeds sometimes i think i feel it running out of gas. Go and get gas to find out that I have plenty. Is this what lean surging is? Wonder if I should get this needle.:doh:

• XR_RON

Posted February 14, 2012 - 06:33 PM

I went into an Industrial supply store here in Panama,and for 1 dollar a foot,I bought 20 feet of exhaust wrap,2 inches wide,I was looking for a way to shield my inner leg from the heat coming from the exhaust side of my KLR,so First,I wrapped it from the head,back to the coupling,and tried that,I was so impressed at the result,that I took off the muffler section,and wrapped it all the way to where it goes into the huge muffler,and Im very happy with this mod,It does make a difference,and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend all KLR owners to do the same.Dont even think its going to hold moisture,and rot out your head pipe,it gets hot enough to dry out any moisture,Ive tested it,by soaking the wrap in water before the wrapping begins,I did not use any fancy clamps,I tied it on with stainless steel ty wire,and made all the twist to the inside of the pipe,so you hardly see whats holding It on,and it works so good.a short test ride,and the pipe wrap was dry as a bone,EXCELLENT MOD for the function and cost, The engine is running cooler,and it even kind of dampens some of the noise,it seems,You wont believe this,but I think it makes the bike feel a little more snappy. Any way this is a great mod.

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2000 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2000
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Shim factory setting size needed for valve adjustment. by rodrigonehme

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX/KLR 600/650
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2010 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2010
  • 1 review
  • Last review by jon2xc
  • On February 16, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2007 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2007
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2009 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2009
  • 1 review
  • Last review by fl08
  • On August 06, 2013

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.