compression release removal?

13 replies to this topic
  • highmark1

Posted January 17, 2007 - 08:01 PM

Can you take the compression release completely out and is there any advantage in doing so? I don't ever use it and it just seems like if ya don't use it why have it>

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 17, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Never use it?What bike are you riding?I use mine to prime on first start in the morning or to clear it out after a crash.

• cleonard

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:38 PM

It is very useful after a crash. Even more so if the bike stays down for more than a few seconds. Without the compression release it means about 20 extra very tiring kicks. That's about the only time I use it, and it worth it.

• LeadDoggy

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:18 AM

never used it, don't know how......

mine be turned down, so it hangs below the bars, never gets in way.

• creeky

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:55 AM

I wouldn't know what to do without a comp release on an XR. lt is really useful for starting both cold an hot and If you stall the engine and still have a little momentum, makes bump starting a breeze.

• ogrider650

Posted January 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM

I wouldn't know what to do without a comp release on an XR. lt is really useful for starting both cold an hot and If you stall the engine and still have a little momentum, makes bump starting a breeze.

please elaborate on this i have never tried to bump using the decomp lever i didn't know you could use it to help bumpstarting.
thanks

• cleonard

Posted January 18, 2007 - 10:41 AM

please elaborate on this i have never tried to bump using the decomp lever i didn't know you could use it to help bumpstarting.
thanks

I forgot about this in my post. I do this all the time. I only use the kickstarter when I don't have a downhill.

The comp release really makes bump starting much easier. I usually do it when I am stopped on a slight downhill. First you start moving. Pull in the clutch and the comp release. Put it in gear, I use second, and let out the clutch. After the engine starts turning then you release the comp release. The engine fires and off you go.

Without the comp release the rear wheel needs a lot more speed and traction to turn the engine over. The comp release makes it a lot easier to get the engine to fire. It only takes a little bit of a downhill to start the bike. If you can get to about 5 mph it will fire right up. You still need some traction. This doesn't work so well in deep sand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Redlines

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:26 PM

Don't you think bump starting your bike all the time is a little hard on your tranny ?? Just get it TDC and then one little click more and it will fire everytime.

• ogrider650

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:30 PM

I forgot about this in my post. I do this all the time. I only use the kickstarter when I don't have a downhill.

The comp release really makes bump starting much easier. I usually do it when I am stopped on a slight downhill. First you start moving. Pull in the clutch and the comp release. Put it in gear, I use second, and let out the clutch. After the engine starts turning then you release the comp release. The engine fires and off you go.

Without the comp release the rear wheel needs a lot more speed and traction to turn the engine over. The comp release makes it a lot easier to get the engine to fire. It only takes a little bit of a downhill to start the bike. If you can get to about 5 mph it will fire right up. You still need some traction. This doesn't work so well in deep sand.

cool i will have to try that i usually just pop the clutch in second now i will try the decomp lever. thanks:thumbsup:

• gialinn

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:40 PM

You know, you guys always crack me up with your talk about compression levers and what not. Are the newer XRs really that different? My 82 xl500r has an auto compression releas. No bar mounted leaver or nothing. 2 kicks first start of the day. 3 if it has sat for a while. Kickstarting when warm is a half hearted kick, sitting or standing. Never takes long to start after a fall. And yes the compression is fine. cours', I am used to kicking over 750's and 400cc two strokes. :lol:

• ogrider650

Posted January 18, 2007 - 01:58 PM

i just figure when i'm racing and super tired anyway to get the bike started with less kicks if i dump it i will try.

• highmark1

Posted January 19, 2007 - 02:29 PM

With the edelbrock I just pump the gas 3-4 times and within 2 kicks I'm off and going. As for after crashing, is that legal, you can really do that? maybe i'm not riding right lol

• creeky

Posted January 19, 2007 - 06:11 PM

With the edelbrock I just pump the gas 3-4 times and within 2 kicks I'm off and going. As for after crashing, is that legal, you can really do that? maybe i'm not riding right lol

Even with the Edelbrock, the comp release is still handy for starting hot or cold. The good part is that when you dump the bike, it won't flood.

• ogrider650

Posted January 20, 2007 - 02:43 PM

yeah that is my next purchase fo sho!!!! and unfortunatley in my case crashing is not only legal but a pig part of my "career" hahahahahaha

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.