06 450 helppppppppppp.

11 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:29 PM

ok I was running stock front and rear was 48 Tag, Well I went to 50 t tag rear and My damn chain is to short I am running a o ring rain but for the life of me cant rember which one. So what are my options and should I just get a new chain ? I f I get a new chain what size should i Order? This sucks cause i just spent a 100 bucks on this chain. I just got my suspension back from enzo and want to ride and now this:bonk:

• flintlock28

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I know occasionally, people will use two or three master links, to add length. I've hear running two is o.k., but I'm not sure about running three.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Try a 49 T stock gearing or buy a new chain. Last thing you want is the chain to break becoming a lethal weapon.

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2007 - 08:57 PM

I've been running two masters on a Regina ORN6 for two years. However, as external widths of chains tend to vary, I don't recommend doing this unless you can get exactly the same brand and model of master link to match the chain you're running. So, in your case, unless your memory gets jogged, either get a new chain, or use your old gearing.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:05 PM

Uhhh, you are supposed to change both sprockets and chain all at the same time. Shame on you! :lol:

But anyway, you can run another master link as long as you have another inner link. If you don't, you need a new chain.

• matts06yzf

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:10 PM

ok what size chain do I need? 13-50 for sprockets Thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Buy a 118 or 120 and cut it to fit.

• grayracer513

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:23 PM

...you are supposed to change both sprockets and chain all at the same time.

Not necessarily. If the original chain was allowed to run over 1.5-2% over the specified length, the sprockets probably are worn to the point where they need to be gone, too, and that's what usually happens. But I've worn out a number of rear sprockets with a chain that was still under 1% stretched. It just depends on the situation.

• matts06yzf

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:30 PM

Ill just buy a new chain, Thanks

• Baron Von Beard

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:16 PM

I always buy a 120 link chain and cut it to fit so I can make it as short as possible.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:44 PM

I dont know if this will help you or not. But I run aftermarket axle blocks, that you can flip, so I can run different gearing without switching chains. This may work for you. Mine are kind of like these.
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2007 - 08:55 AM

You can do the same thing without the blocks, if the chain is of a length that will fit both sets of gearing. The advantage to the blocks is that you don't have to move the adjuster screw so far when changing over.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.