additional holes in the airbox

4 replies to this topic
  • flyin vee

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:18 PM

Just installed a new Edelbrock on my L, would there be any advantage to additional holes in the airbox? I already removed the snorkle, run a uni filter and a FMF Q2 slip on exhaust. I guess what I am really asking is, with the snorkle gone is that enough air? Back in my moto X days we drilled several holes in the airbox with pretty good results after re-jetting. Other than water fording, what are some disadvantages to opening up the airbox. Any replies would be great.:lol:

• frankstr

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, flyin vee, Check out my garage and the uni vents on my side cover, I'm not sure about the 'L' but it should give you a idea.
But yes the extra air will help.:lol:

:confused: :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted January 18, 2007 - 08:42 AM

More air will help, it will be louder- its amazing how much noise comes out the airbox...

Dave

• gialinn

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Easiest way to test is to ride out to a spot, with no one else riding in the area and pull of the side of the airbox. Make sure your air filter still seals against the carburater side of the airbox. then ride and see if you feel a difference. I needed holes in mine even with a stock filter, which means chaning to a high flow filter wouldn,t do me any good till I drilled the box. Make sure you are hard on the throttle, that is when you will notice it most.

• flyin vee

Posted January 18, 2007 - 03:39 PM

I appreciate the replies, thank you. I think that I a going to go ahead and put some holes in the side cover. With the uni filter and the edelbrock carb I now believe it is the way to go to get more power..... Keep em upright. Kris

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.