XR6 fork conversion question

14 replies to this topic
  • tomb1957

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:25 PM

I am getting all the needed parts together to convert my 98 XR6 forks to 2000 CR250 forks. I will be using the 2000 triple clamp and have decided to have the stem turned down to except the 600 top and bottom bearings. My question is: Will the stem need anything else done to it besides machined for the bearings and threaded at top for the 600 hardware? I remember something about possibly the 250 stem is a little longer on length. I'm trying to keep from having to use the Emig stem since they are pricey.

• Kenaroo

Posted January 17, 2007 - 03:15 PM

After you turn down the stem you will need a spacer for the top clamp. You can just buy what you need for Emig Racing for the 600.. the 650r you have to buy his whole unit.

after figureing all the time involved taking every thing down to the machine shop, making sure all the dimension are right etc.. I went and just ordered the unit form Emig racing. It just saves a lot of time and trouble redesigning something he has already figured out.

His fab work is top notch and Paige is awesome at customer service.

good luck on the project... you will love the results

• xr-jorger

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:13 PM

let us know how it turns out. time, set up cost, and benefit, I am thinking of doin this myself

• tomb1957

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Will do jorger, were practically neighbors I live in Clovis.

• xr-jorger

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:22 PM

cooool I might have to come by when your done and check it out!:lol:

• cbaranski

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Here's my 96
http://www.putfile.com/cbaranski
I used a set 0f 01 cr125 forks. I ended up useing my stock xr stem and had my buddy at work in the machine shop make a couple of sleeves. 1 was for the bottom clamp and 1 for the top clamp. The bottom clamp the stem gets pressed into it, and on the top you'll need another bushing to take up the gap because the cr stem is much bigger in diameter. Stock xr front brake caliper will bolt right on the cr forks.

• cbaranski

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:39 PM

tomb1957 A cont. to my previous thread.
After I got a set of forks, front wheel, rebuilding the forks and new springs and Race Tech gold valves. I have a total of $400 into the front end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tomb1957

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Here's my 96
http://www.putfile.com/cbaranski
I used a set 0f 01 cr125 forks. I ended up useing my stock xr stem and had my buddy at work in the machine shop make a couple of sleeves. 1 was for the bottom clamp and 1 for the top clamp. The bottom clamp the stem gets pressed into it, and on the top you'll need another bushing to take up the gap because the cr stem is much bigger in diameter. Stock xr front brake caliper will bolt right on the cr forks.

I was wondering about the caliper. I got one off of ebay for a 2000 CR125 just incase. I might go the sleeve way myself. Thanks.

• tomb1957

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:57 PM

cbaranski, was the bottom sleeve different in size (od ) allowing to be pressed into the clamp? Also, nice bike you have is that a Vapor computer?

• cbaranski

Posted January 19, 2007 - 09:14 AM

tomb1957 ,yeah That the Trail Tech Vapor. I pressed both stems out of the bottom clamps. i didn't over see the work being done but when I told the machinist where I work what I was trying to occomplish he knew exactlly what I wanted. Oh I almost forgot, you need to have some metal removed from the cr top clamp as well to be the same thickness of the xr top clamp. For this is because the cr stem is a little longer than the xr stem.

• ESS

Posted January 19, 2007 - 12:55 PM

Does anyone know if the necks are the same as the XR650R. I put a CRF450 front end on my XR650R and found a place that has a new top bearing and race to make the 450 stuff work. The bottom was the same as the 450 but the top was different. Swap the bearing and race on the top, adjust your steering stops, and call it good. This would be a lot easier than all that other stuff. Maybe they're the same?

• tomb1957

Posted January 19, 2007 - 12:58 PM

I went ahead and ordered the Emig stem and bushing. My forks arrived yesterday, what a mess. I got them off of ebay and they were cheap. The right fork leaks like crazy. The discription stated no visible leaks. I don't see how it could have been missed there was oil and dirt between the protector and the bottom of the pipe. Still they should be okay. I am going to use Pivot Works complete seal and bushing kit. If the forks don't perform properly I'll have to get differnt ones. Like I said they were cheap so I'm not out too much. You get what you pay for. I will post my progress.

• sbabs

Posted January 19, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Good luck on your project. I wouldn't worry about the leaks, get oem seals, and clean everything out jiffy spiffy with brake cleaner, then soap and water before you put them back together. I don't know if the CR125 shim stack can be modded, you might want to check into that as I'm sure they are set up for motocross. You might be able to pull some shims and make the front end a little more plush.
I just bought a CR125 front end for my XR400, I plan on revalving once I get all my parts together and the forks fitted. I'm pretty jazzed, I hear nothing but great things about this mod.

• tomb1957

Posted January 24, 2007 - 06:01 PM

Hey guys, got everything except the fork seals for my conversion. As soon as the bike is back together and tested I will be putting the stock front end on ebay. This includes: forks, triple with stem, complete front wheel, and caliper(I'm. keeping the breakline) all in great shape. If anyone is interested just pm and I'll give you a great deal. Oh, it's a 1998 XR600.

• xr-jorger

Posted March 29, 2007 - 07:37 PM

how did the conversion turn out, any pics

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.