race gas, leaded or UN-leaded?

10 replies to this topic
  • ____Kurt____

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:25 PM

i was wondering, since it says on cars and not too sure about bikes it says "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY"
would i be able to run leaded? is it better? and what are teh +'s and -'s for unleaded and leaded? thanks alot. i'd be running it in... all my bike's. not straight (too much money) but mixed with super 93 octane
thanks alot.

what one is better?
http://www.vpracingf...p_01_fuels.html
http://www.citgo.com.../RacingFuel.jsp
http://www.sunocoinc...umer/RaceFuels/

• ____Kurt____

Posted January 17, 2007 - 01:11 PM

no one uses race gas?

• Numba68

Posted January 17, 2007 - 01:38 PM

I use VP ultimate 4 in my bike and have had great results with it, its more of a 4T gas though. lead I think is more for a 2T bike but i'm not to sure on that.

• cheezy

Posted January 17, 2007 - 02:30 PM

Lead does nothing for four strokes, only 2 strokes.

• KX02

Posted January 17, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I'm not sure what type of bike you are talking about. If you are having detonation problems on pump gas a leaded race gas can help cure it. The correct race gas for you application will usually yield better throttle response as well, but you do need to jet your bike for whatever fuel you use for best results. Leaded gas is only legal for closed course competition.

• bigbluerider4life

Posted January 17, 2007 - 05:14 PM

i run sunoco cam2 purple 112 octane race gas- with lead

i have a pinger and thumpers and it really make a big improvement over 93 pump

i run 50/50 in the pinger and the lead helps 2 strokes by raising the temp
i run it straight in the thumpers and the lead is supposed to help lube the valves

either way it wont hurt a thing and any good race gas with contain lead...

no it not only allowed in competition either...and yes my local gas station has it at a pump...so no bs about either

• CBus660R

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Long story short, if your bike is not pinging/detonating, you don't need race gas and it will be a waste of money. Having said that, you can use leaded race fuel. The only vehicles that need unleaded are vehicles with EFI and catalytic convertors. Lead ruins O2 sensors and cats. It is also illegal to use leaded fuel on any vehicle that is made after 72 (maybe 74, somewhere in the 70's is when new vehicles had to be unleaded only) and that is why they put the sticker on dirtbikes. What's the chance of you getting busted for it in a dirtbike (outside of an AMA Pro race)? Zilch!

• dukeryder

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:23 PM

Lead does nothing for four strokes, only 2 strokes.

:lol:

Why would you say that? Most Race Cars (NASCAR, Dragsters) run Leaded gas so that they have less VALVE failures. Last time I checked I didn't have any Valves in my 2stroke.

• dirtflea

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:26 PM

My CRF runs a lot crisper on VP 100 octane pump gas than Premium 92 octane does. I hear if you run the race gas in a Rice Racer car it goofs up the catalytic converter, I guess the small amount of lead plugs it up.

• mjhilbilly

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:39 PM

no one uses race gas?

I use the VP U2 fuel in my 2 stroke. It's leaded, oxygenated and 101 octane. I mix it 50/50 with 91 pump fuel. I use it because it makes the bike run alot crisper and more responsive. I did not notice any REAL gain in power. So, for me, it's a good thing as I don't need anymore power. The 200 EXC has plenty of guts.

• Old Checker

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:11 PM

My Yamaha manual says to NOT use leaded gas. BTW it is a 07YZ450.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1996 KDX 200 Wont run by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

DRZ125 Carb Set Up & Service - Incl Air Screw! by beamishnz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 125/125L/250
  • Hot  31 replies
Reviews

Beta 350 RR 2014 by Bryan Bosch

Beta 350 RR 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

My Wr250f 2009 misfire when I switch off the light! Need Help! by bluelabelkk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.