A Few Questions... If I May

14 replies to this topic
  • dbleon

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:38 PM

I just had a couple questions I need adressed by the experts (or anyone for that matter)...

1. I have a wr426 and I'm running a yz tank. I hate running out of gas because some is stuck on the right side... so, can i run a right side petcock? If so... any tutorials or how to's? Does it hurt to run the petcock on reserve all the time?
2. What spark plugs are you guys running? Irridium?
3. Can anyone pull a spark plug on the trail on these machines? I have to remove the tank = pain in the a**!

Thanks for any and all input!

• dbleon

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:10 AM

Anyone...please???

• WGP

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'm no expert but.....

You can can run a petcock on the otherside of the tank, just buy a petcock valve, drill out a hole for it (probably want to make sure you don't blow yourself up) and install. Ziptie it so it doesn't hit your red hot pipe. It would probably help to see one that already has 2 like the Ascerbis for the WR450's.
No, it does not hurt to run on reserve, do you want to run out before you run out or just run out:crazy:

If you carry the tools....you can pull the plug? But Why?

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:38 AM

I see no problems with running off of reserve all the time, but when you run outta gas, you're outta gas. That's why most run with it on and then turn it to reserve once outta gas. It's saved my ass on more than a couple instances.

I'm sure you could run the petcock over to the other side; you'd need to make a new hole and you could simply JB Weld it to the other side or something of the like...or you could just remember to refill the bike before riding, or at least check the fuel level...Seems like a lot of work for not really a good enough reason to me.

I see no way to remove spark plug w/o removing the tank. If you brought along an 8mm socket you could do it on the trail. How often are you needing to get to your spark plug on the trail though? As for what type of sparkplug, it's an NGK, but other than that I forget what model type...

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:39 AM

ah, I see I was beaten to it...

• byggd

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:47 PM

I just had a couple questions I need adressed by the experts (or anyone for that matter)...

1. I have a wr426 and I'm running a yz tank. I hate running out of gas because some is stuck on the right side... so, can i run a right side petcock? If so... any tutorials or how to's? Does it hurt to run the petcock on reserve all the time?
2. What spark plugs are you guys running? Irridium?
3. Can anyone pull a spark plug on the trail on these machines? I have to remove the tank = pain in the a**!

Thanks for any and all input!

1) I run the stock 3.2 tank so I seldom run out of gas.
2) Yes, run the Iridium. A little pricy but worth it IMO.
3) I added a fender tool bag with everything I need to change a plug and then some. Saved by butt when I thought my bike was a jet ski last spring and hydro locked it. :lol:

• dbleon

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:59 PM

The reason I want to know if anyone can pull the plug without removing the tank is because last weekend I was out riding by myself, and about 25 miles into the trail, my bike quit... long story short, I tried everything i could to start the bike, but after an hour, I parked it and started walking. After about 5 miles or so i found a farm house to make a phone call (luckily they had a phone), and my brother came to pick me up(three hours later). The next day i pulled the plug, put in a new one and it fired right up first kick. I have since done jetting work to get it where it needs to be, but I'm NEVER going out that far on my own without a plug and proper tools.

The reason I want to know if you can run on reserve, is because in the on position, it seems easy for the fuel to fall below the pickup... and i dont want to sh** my pant agian when the bike shuts off. Plus there's a chance I can misdiagnose and foul the plug messing with the fuel screw... but I guess i should just always check the gas level first....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fullbore4

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:32 AM

The reason I want to know if anyone can pull the plug without removing the tank is because last weekend I was out riding by myself, and about 25 miles into the trail, my bike quit... long story short, I tried everything i could to start the bike, but after an hour, I parked it and started walking. After about 5 miles or so i found a farm house to make a phone call (luckily they had a phone), and my brother came to pick me up(three hours later). The next day i pulled the plug, put in a new one and it fired right up first kick. I have since done jetting work to get it where it needs to be, but I'm NEVER going out that far on my own without a plug and proper tools.

The reason I want to know if you can run on reserve, is because in the on position, it seems easy for the fuel to fall below the pickup... and i dont want to sh** my pant agian when the bike shuts off. Plus there's a chance I can misdiagnose and foul the plug messing with the fuel screw... but I guess i should just always check the gas level first....

Sounds like she was flooded. Before walking again in the future try pushing it to a downhill slope and get up momentum and hop on and start er in 3rd.

• byggd

Posted January 18, 2007 - 05:03 AM

There is no way to pull the plug without removing the seat and tank, And yes you can run on reserve but as already stated it's not recomended because you lost your fail safe.

• BIG HAL

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:43 AM

There is no way to pull the plug without removing the seat and tank, And yes you can run on reserve but as already stated it's not recomended because you lost your fail safe.

Dude run the IMS tank DONT put a petcock on the exhaust side... The IMS tank has a line from the other side to run the tank DRY!!! No you have to take the tank off... We put a T handle and a plug too... in the cross bar pad just cut the foam If your worried about $$ then you will worrie about a fire!!!

• jandmsuburban7

Posted January 18, 2007 - 11:29 AM

[quote name='ausgeflippt13']
I'm sure you could run the petcock over to the other side; you'd need to make a new hole and you could simply JB Weld it to the other side or something of the like...

The plastics on these bikes are made out of polyethelene and glues do not stick. I havent tried it but, but i understand that JB Weld will not hold either. Plastic welding is about the only way to make something stick to this. I would use some type of gasket/compression fitting to attach to the opposite side of petcock and just run a straigt line over and "T" it into the other line. I would probably also put a small twist valve in there. I would also put an inline filter just before the carb especially if your not using a petcock. Check out ebay for a welder.

http://search.ebay.c...ssPageNameZWLRS[/URL]

Let us know how it turns out or if you buy the IMS? Jason

• dbleon

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like she was flooded. Before walking again in the future try pushing it to a downhill slope and get up momentum and hop on and start er in 3rd.

Ya I tried to bump start it with no luck, the plug was just TRASHED!

• dbleon

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:29 PM

Dude run the IMS tank DONT put a petcock on the exhaust side... The IMS tank has a line from the other side to run the tank DRY!!! No you have to take the tank off... We put a T handle and a plug too... in the cross bar pad just cut the foam If your worried about $$ then you will worrie about a fire!!!

I actually already have a clark tank sitting in my garage, I just like running the yz tank cause it feels better... but when i go on long trail rides i think I'll run the clark. Switching back and forth is a pain in the a** though. Where can i get a petcock tank mounts and the seat holder fitting, so i can go back and forth in a few minutes??? Anyone have an idea???

I would also like to hear how Mr BBQ can pull the plug without removing the tank... please elaborate (even though I've really got the jetting dialed in)!

Thnaks for all the replies!

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 18, 2007 - 06:18 PM

[quote name='jandmsuburban7'][quote name='ausgeflippt13']
I'm sure you could run the petcock over to the other side; you'd need to make a new hole and you could simply JB Weld it to the other side or something of the like...

The plastics on these bikes are made out of polyethelene and glues do not stick. I havent tried it but, but i understand that JB Weld will not hold either. Plastic welding is about the only way to make something stick to this. I would use some type of gasket/compression fitting to attach to the opposite side of petcock and just run a straigt line over and "T" it into the other line. I would probably also put a small twist valve in there. I would also put an inline filter just before the carb especially if your not using a petcock. Check out ebay for a welder.

http://search.ebay.c...ssPageNameZWLRS[/URL]

Let us know how it turns out or if you buy the IMS? Jason[/QUOTE]

Most conventional glues do not work because the surface is too smooth. The key is sanding with a very coarse paper or even a wire brush. JB Weld will work (I have tried it), as will Gorilla Glue (IIRC), but the latter is a b!tch because it requires pressure to bond effectively. Gorilla Glue is killer b/c it expands when dry, thus helping to fill in holes.

The atomic lattice of the polymer used in gas tanks is too closely-packed, and as a result the surface of the tank is inherently smooth. Granted, it's also been finished that way as well. Remember to sand! :lol:

Some glues also can eat away at the plastic, so be wary.

• Jekel

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Do not try to modify the tank yourself for safety. As for other brackets for the tank and seat, check Ebay or call some salvage yards. You may even be able to make some yourself. Just carry the tools for tank removal with your other tools. Chances are you will never need to do this when you carry the tools unless you submerge it in water. Just my .02

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.