Handguard Woes, Which Ones Are You Running??

33 replies to this topic
  • Boston Mangler

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Ok, this question is a tad embarrasing and i kinda feel like a dumbass, so please cut me some slack! :confused:

First time i laid the bike over with the stock handguards i bent the clutch lever big time. I replaced the lever and bought some acerbis rally pro hand guards to protect my hands AND the levers. They didnt fit all that well and i had to grind the "nub" off of the ends of both levers to get them to fit.

I got a good deal on a set of Moose guards and the same problem, levers didnt fit. :lol:

Now, i THOUGHT that the guards should be at the same level/angle as the levers to help protect them but they dont seem to fit in. Is my logic off?

What are you guys doing? Do you levers hang UNDER or OVER your handguards?

Thanks

• tirebiter

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:48 PM

Move your lever perches inwards..

• bcone

Posted January 16, 2007 - 07:32 PM

Now that you've taken off the nubs anything should work. I have my Acerbis bark busters slightly higher than my controls so that the ends of the levers are just below the aluminum bar. I also moved the controls slightly in board, mocked everything up loos and then made sure I had clearances. They fit without cutting anthing off. Only thing is they are at a slight angle so they don't block the wind on the freeway. I also mounted some LED lights to the bark busters for signals, very slick as long as I don't head on a tree they should make it.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 16, 2007 - 07:32 PM

Cycra with the triple clamp mount.

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Move your lever perches inwards..

Tried that, but i got them as far inward as possible but they are still hitting if i put them level with the guards

Now that you've taken off the nubs anything should work.

Yes, i know. It is just something stupid that bugs me.

I would like to be able to have full levers and have them full protected by the handguards, but it looks like i have to look into other options.

:lol:

• wheelnut46

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:25 PM

Be sure to cut a little more than just the ball on the end of the levers off. My clutch lever pinches my left pinky glove slightly whenever I shift. The brake lever bent enough on a drop so that it operates perfectly within the handguard.
I have Moose handguards.

• bcone

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:52 PM

You should not have to cut your controls IF you give up having the controls in perfect alignment with the bark busters. And what is the point? To protect the controls and your hands while still keeping things looking tidy. My controls hang in the lower cup section of my Acerbis bark busters and they work great (although I like my controls down at a slight angle). I'll see if I can get a pic up tomorrow evening.

• oneshot

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:58 PM

i had the same problem w/ acerbis. i used a bench vise, and did a little bending and re-shaping of the handguards, and moved the levers inward a little and everything works fine. had to do the same thing on my klx.

• pigryder

Posted January 17, 2007 - 04:56 AM

my guards are straight out and my levers are slightly down, I have the original set of levers and perches on my R. you angle the levers down so that when your standing your not reaching straight out with your hands

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 17, 2007 - 05:42 AM

You should not have to cut your controls IF you give up having the controls in perfect alignment with the bark busters.

Not a chance, my are over an inch too long and the perches are moved inward as much as possible. Maybe it is the bend of my bars! :lol:

And what is the point? To protect the controls and your hands while still keeping things looking tidy.

Yes, to protect the controls in a crash

I'll see if I can get a pic up tomorrow evening.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spotsboss

Posted January 17, 2007 - 08:15 AM

First thing I did on my '07 XRR was can those silly handguards, or "handguards" I should say. Popped on a set of real aluminum guards. The clutch lever was too long so I bought a Moose "shortie" lever. Fit perfect. I didn't want to cut the ball off the OEM since it serves a safety and a cosmetic purpose.

:lol:

• camoman

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:23 AM

I have the acerbis hand guards also... Just replace the levers with shorty levers. Fits good and looks good....

• pigryder

Posted January 17, 2007 - 01:53 PM

sorry about the crappy pics...Im sick:crazy: and tool them quick with my phone Posted Image these are the stock levers and I put the guards on it when I got it three years ago :lol: Posted Image and I have crashed this thing hard!

• jaredc28

Posted January 17, 2007 - 02:36 PM

My levers are cut way back, and line directly with the handguards. I haven't had any problems shifting or pinchin my hands. You have to get really close to even see them, because the guards "guard" them.

• CaseyWR450

Posted January 17, 2007 - 02:42 PM

I'm have acerbis on both my bikes and they're great. I had to cut the levers a little bit so they would fit though.

• lhark

Posted January 17, 2007 - 02:50 PM

Me, too. I'm sold on the Acerbis Rally Pros with the removable wings. I shortened up the levers, too. I use the Moose XR bend aluminum bars. LED's mounted on the handguards look great and clean up the whole front end. The ball ends of the levers aren't needed when the lever is inside the handguard IMO.

• ogrider650

Posted January 17, 2007 - 03:36 PM

i have the acerbis and cut the levers i only use two fingers anyway. bikes been laid down several times and no more problems with broken levers. i also wrap some teflon tape around the lever clamps so that if i wad up hard the perches with rotate and not break. kind of the cheap way to ASV rotator clamps

• bcone

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:11 PM

Having trouble with pics.

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Guys!

Does Moose make the shortys for the "L"? Sounds like a good route to go!

• bcone

Posted January 17, 2007 - 08:30 PM

:lol: OK thanks for the help....:confused: Posted Image

Bars are stock which may be a factor, controls are about an inch in from the grips and just down from the busters.

Front view w/LEDsPosted Image

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.