And post some pics as you move along with it..:lol:

:crazy: :lol:

• festerr

Posted January 16, 2007 - 07:06 AM

at first: i need an engine!

• rmhrc630

Posted January 16, 2007 - 01:29 PM

dude - why?

The XR engine is so much taller that you will butcher the frame - custom made gas tanks etc?

Great idea but the XR frame is already alloy, so why?

• BWB63

Posted January 16, 2007 - 07:41 PM

The alluminum frame on the XR650R is heavy. 12 pounds heavier then the XR600R. If you put the XR650R enige in a XR600R frame the bike will be 10 pounds lighter. If you could ever put the XR650R engine in the CRF450 frame or even the new generation frame that would be cool....if you can. It would be something different and would be a blast to find out how it would handle.

• festerr

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:10 AM

always looking for an engine.
is there something down there?

• steed2

Posted January 17, 2007 - 05:13 AM

if u tried to do that u would end up with a slow , extremely bad handling, race /desert abortion machine lol . It will be a waste of your money and time not to metion you will be ruining a perfect bike???...i still dont know why u would want to put a 650 engine in a 450 ? i will put money on it that if you do this a stock crf450 will smoke this abortion in every aspect....just my thoughts ....your not and engineer

• festerr

Posted January 17, 2007 - 05:44 AM

my xr 630 is an abortion for current ways to consider bikes, but i'm faster on it than on my crf 450 in tight enduro tracks, on stones and so on.
i'm not an engineer, but 15 years ago i put a 550 yamaha engine on a 1987 250 kx frame, and the result was astonishing.
stopped using this bike because of italian police, not willing me to ride it on the road!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steed2

Posted January 17, 2007 - 05:48 AM

well if there s a will there a way and it sounds like u know your way around a bike ...goodluck

• RdrMtn

Posted January 17, 2007 - 06:26 AM

If you can pull it off it will be the King of all Dirt Bikes!!!!

• uncleroby

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:42 AM

I apologize for my bad english, I 'll try to tell you what I think.

I reckon it is an interesting experiment but I am afraid the engine is too big and too heavy. The CRF frame is studied for a the crf engine.
I mean Honda projected both bike for a two specific purposes, I don't think mixing them you could get a better product, otherwise it would mean Honda's engineers would better go selling ice creams...
I think you may transform a XR understanding the original project and his weak points and then you may improve it.
For example the XR suspensions are studied for a "normal" pilot, if you are a fast pilot you may improve the bike changing them.

• festerr

Posted January 18, 2007 - 12:20 AM

sorry everybody, i thought that my initial question was clear, i just asked if somebody tried to do this, hoping to receive some pictures and suggestions, but it's clear now that nobody ever made such a modification.
and i wouldn't like to be the first...
thinking about budget
i'll look for a used crf engine
and will overhaul it!
maybe transform it in a 490cc.

Answering to uncleroby: honda engineers maybe will not be selling ice creams, but sometimes they should be obliged to work in a real workshop!

• uncleroby

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:10 AM

So, in Italy I heard people talking in forums about such operation, but they changed their mind, I guess after making some measures of the components.

• festerr

Posted January 18, 2007 - 11:47 PM

Uncleroby: I'am italian.
tomorrow i'll go to a firnd and put the engine in the frame.
than, i'll tell you.

• MindBlower

Posted January 19, 2007 - 02:48 PM

If you put the XR650R enige in a XR600R frame the bike will be 10 pounds lighter.

And handle like you've taken 20lbs of metal out of the frame! The R frame is heavy in part because it's so STIFF. Stiff = better handling. Up to a point.

• Cajun1958

Posted January 19, 2007 - 04:01 PM

That actually sounds like an interesting idea if only for the fact that the ergonomics on the CRF are so much more modern then the XR's. If you're looking to make an XR powered bike that's significantly lighter then stock I think you'll be disappointed. The advantage of the XR engine is that it develops peak power at about 6750 rpm's as opposed to 11,000 on the CRF. You might want to contact Service Honda they build a bike that puts a CR 500engine in a CRF 250X frame and they will sell you a brand new XR 650R motor as well.

Related Content

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.