How to install a rear spring

18 replies to this topic
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:32 PM

I have an 06 450 and just got a new spring from Factory Connection. Has anyone installed one and if so can an amatuer do it?

• Smokeslider

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:38 PM

heck yeah, I just redid my 400, and my 06 450 looks similar, I took the seat and rear quarter section off(fender frame). I had the swingarm off but you should just be able to pull the bolt form the shock to the lower linkage, then loosen the top rings all the way out(make a note of where they were) and slide the spring upm now there should be a two part retainer system on the bottom that comes apart and slide the spring down. I' have a hard time explaining this on here but it's still not too bad, if you have regreased you linkage bearings at this time, this would be a great oppurtunity to do so, Let me know if you have any questions, and most of the guys on here would be happy to help out.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:51 PM

shock springs are a piece of cake. Pull the sub frame. Measure the installed length of the current spring for reference. Loosen the lock ring and back the preload ring most of the way off, then remove the shock. There's a split collar on the bottom that holds the spring. One end of the spring is smaller than the other. Assemble in reverse order, and run the rings down until the spring is just longer than the original was. Then throw the sub on and set the sag.

You're doing front springs too, right?

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:07 AM

shock springs are a piece of cake. Pull the sub frame. Measure the installed length of the current spring for reference. Loosen the lock ring and back the preload ring most of the way off, then remove the shock. There's a split collar on the bottom that holds the spring. One end of the spring is smaller than the other. Assemble in reverse order, and run the rings down until the spring is just longer than the original was. Then throw the sub on and set the sag.

You're doing front springs too, right?

The front springs were already done. I just couldn't get the rear to act right so I got a new spring. Didn't know if it is something I can do at home or need a spring compressor to install it. What do you mean measure the installed length of the curent spring for reference?

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:42 AM

OK, you were the one we had that mismatched spring discussion about.

The installed length of the current spring is simply how long the current spring is as currently adjusted with the shock fully extended. As the preload ring can be set anywhere within a 3" range, one of the problems you have in installing a new spring is in guessing how far down to turn the ring. You want to get it close to right on initial assembly, because it's not as easy to access it once it's in place with the sub frame back on to finalize the sag setting. By measuring the length of your current spring before you slack off the adjuster, you can install the new spring at something near this same dimension and be fairly close to where you want to end up.

Since you are going to a heavier spring, your new one will need less preload than your old one, assuming the sag is correct as is, so install it about 1/4-1/2" longer.

Another tip: the spring preload adjuster is always easier to turn with the bike on the stand, and you can quite often grab the spring near the bottom and turn the whole spring, which in turn will rotate the adjuster ring.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 18, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Ok here's the problem. I took off the sub-frame and loosed the preload rings around the rear shock. Then I took off the rear shock and turned the preload rings until they are at the top. How do I get the bottom spring guide off. It looks like if the spring was compressed up I could slip it off, but how? Thinking about taking to a local shop since all my buddies mechanics are with them at the races this weekend.

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Unscrew the rings all the way off, slip the spring down, and pull down the outer ring of the retainer. Then slide the "C" shaped retainer out.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 18, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Unscrew the rings all the way off, slip the spring down, and pull down the outer ring of the retainer. Then slide the "C" shaped retainer out.

Thanks, I am going to give it a try now.

• Smokeslider

Posted January 18, 2007 - 10:37 PM

Hopefully everything worked out, once you figure it out, you'll be glad that you didn't take it to the shop, I stared at mine for ten minutes until it finally hit me on how to get if off, but once I did, it all made sense.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted January 19, 2007 - 10:49 AM

I tried and tried to get the rings all the way off. I got them up as far as they would go but still couldn't get it. I ended up and taking it to a shop for $15 bucks he uses a spring compressor.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2007 - 11:13 AM

The '06 shock must be different somehow. On the earlier ones, you can completely unload the spring without compressing it. Maybe it's the Ti spring.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 19, 2007 - 02:38 PM

The '06 shock must be different somehow. On the earlier ones, you can completely unload the spring without compressing it. Maybe it's the Ti spring.

I think it is the Ti spring. However, just sitting on the bike without the sag set properly yet and I can already feel a difference in the rear end. Can't wait to hit the track again.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 20, 2007 - 12:12 PM

For the record, I was looking at the instructions (go figure) today. The way to install the spring was to slide the bumper up a couple of inches to get the collar off. I hope anyone else who is doing this read this first or is smarter than me.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 20, 2007 - 04:07 PM

Its not different. Your directions were good. The Ti springs are just the same, just lighter. As usual you were right on course. :lol:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 20, 2007 - 04:09 PM

For the record, I was looking at the instructions (go figure) today. The way to install the spring was to slide the bumper up a couple of inches to get the collar off. I hope anyone else who is doing this read this first or is smarter than me.

Glad you got it. Thats the important thing. I cant believe the guy at the shop didnt know that. I would worry alittle about having them work on your stuff. Hope you like your new spring. :lol:

• jayh300

Posted January 22, 2007 - 12:47 PM

sorry i just saw this.... I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and ran in to the same thing.... finally slid the bumper up and the collar came right out.
sorry
jay

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 01:02 PM

I should have remembered that detail. :lol:

Sorry to have omitted it.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted January 22, 2007 - 04:43 PM

You guys all owe me $15 for the shop fee. Cough it up.

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2007 - 05:01 PM

I'll give you a full refund of what you paid for the advice. :lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.