New 02 426 project

7 replies to this topic
  • jroon

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions, first off, I bought more or less a basket case, everything is there as well as a spare transmission. The apparent reason for the dissassembly was a bent shift fork and then they found filings when it was taken apart. I guess the shop they brought it to gave them a wacky estimate and they gave up. I got it for a song so I don't mind spending a little to put it together. Other than the 03 camshaft(for the autodecompressor), is there any other updates I should be considering when I put it together? And now maybe a dumb question, I see all the cool plastics available ie yellow etc, so what happens with the blue tank? Do you need to buy one or do the graphics cover it?

• Fastest1

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:02 PM

02's were plenty sound so just a camshaft (auto) change should be good. Re the plastic, yes it does mean a new tank or tolerate the mismatch! Enjoy

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Do a search on the BK mod...might as well do it while the carb is off the bike. You might consider installing a remote hot start also. But neither of those is a big deal to do when the bike is already put together as they don't require a major teardown anyway.

Since the bike is torn down and you are considering changing the color of the plastics then this would be the time to have the frame powder coated! The blue frame doesn't go well with different color plastics.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:18 PM

The BK mod can be found in the Common Threads sticky, along with the Cam Mod instructions and the full, original 100 page DCM thread.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jroon

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Wow, you guys are fast, thanks, I hadn't even considered the frame color. Tomorrow is "sort the tranny parts out day"

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Be critical of the locking dogs and slots in the gears. When you say "bent shift fork", it suggests to me that the original problem was jumping out of gear, jerking under a load in one or more gears, etc. This is caused by locking dog wear, and ends up bending the shift fork when it tries to hold it in. It would be no fun to pull the thing right back apart once it's finished.

• berudd

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:36 AM

If you go with a remote hotstart keep the cable clean and lubed. If not, the hot start button WILL seize in the carb. Don't ask how I know.

I would recommend and oversized front rotor and a stainless brake line.

• Jeremiah

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:47 AM

I'm always so impressed with grayracer's knowledge. What a good man to share it with everyone!

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.