Hard Clutch Pull on 05 YZ450

14 replies to this topic
  • JCW

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:18 PM

I've been spoiled by riding KTMs w/ hydraulic clutches. I'm wondering if it is possible to put YZ250 clutch springs in and reduce the clutch pull (and still work well). I've seen 125 springs used in 250 bikes and it worked real well.
Has anyone switched springs and had good luck? If so, which ones did you use?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on the bike until I find out if I can get the suspension soft and plush enough for woods riding. I love the motor and it cranks first kick, hot or cold. However, the clutch pull and the suspension must be dealt with for long days of trail riding.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:22 PM

put a hydro clutch on it...

• John407

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'd try adding 1/2" to the clutch actuator arm. I did it to my '03 450 and it helped, I've ridden my buddies SX450 and my clutch pull is only a little tougher (now).

• JCW

Posted January 16, 2007 - 04:52 AM

Do you mean where it comes out of the engine and attaches to the clutch cable? That makes sense if I can figure out how to do it.

• John407

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:12 AM

Yes that's exactly where I added it. It's a pretty cheap mod and it's helped me and my arm pump. I could email you a pic if you PM me with your address.

• JCW

Posted January 17, 2007 - 11:58 AM

I just got the 05 YZ250 clutch springs in (I see they also fit an RM80??). Since the diagram shows 6 springs on the YZ450, I think I'll try to swap out every other one and see how that works first. I will be careful to watch for clutch slippage and get them out immediately if I sense that. I've seen this work wonders on other bikes. We'll see. Has anyone already tried this on the YZ450?

I am also waiting on the photo of the extended clutch arm to see how that is done. That sounds real promising and logical if I can just find a way to do it.

Finally, does anyone make a clutch lever that is supposed to reduce the pull dramatically like the Enduro Engineering lever for KTMs? I've tied that and it works great.

• JCW

Posted January 20, 2007 - 01:41 PM

I think I want to add 1/2" to the actuator arm to help reduce the clutch pull. I've got a small mig welder and I can handle the lengthening part fine. My question is "Can I remove the spring and simply lift the actuator arm out, or is something going to move and keep me from re-inserting it and putting the spring on it? Sorry, but I've never done that before and I don't want to pull it out and have things move around and be in a big mess? Thanks, JCW

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2007 - 03:45 PM

You will need to remove the clutch cover, remove the pressure plate, and draw the push rod out at least 10mm.

• JCW

Posted January 20, 2007 - 04:26 PM

• John407

Posted January 21, 2007 - 12:18 PM

You will need to remove the clutch cover, remove the pressure plate, and draw the push rod out at least 10mm.

Gray, it's been a couple of years (and a couple of crashes)since I did the mod. but I don't remember having the clutch cover off to remove the actuator arm. I thought that the arm could be removed and installed if you turned the arm 180 degrees from normal. My selective memory I guess.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Maybe not. The 426 and 450 release arms are different. The 426 can be pulled straight up and out because the flat on the shaft that pushes the push rod extends down and off the end of it. On the 450, the flat is as a notch cut into the shaft, meaning that the push rod extends "into" the release shaft, trapping it until the shaft is withdrawn far enough for it to clear the notch.

• JCW

Posted January 21, 2007 - 01:18 PM

You're right grayracer513. It was worth a try and I just tried it and it will not come out. Unfortunately, I just changed the oil and I imagine the best time to pull the clutch cover off (needing access to both sides of the engine) is at an oil change. Since I just changed the oil and filter, I'll try to ride it a time or two and make the mod during the next oil change. That way I can keep the bike upright and not pour oil out everywhere. Thanks everyone & I'm going to try the ASV perch and lever also, as that is supposed to make a big improvement also.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2007 - 02:25 PM

If you start and run the engine long enough to purge the sump, you won't loose any oil to speak of. I've done clutch baskets without draining oil before. You have at least 3-4 hours to work with.

• JCW

Posted January 21, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thanks again. Tons of great information here!

• BikeDestroyer

Posted January 21, 2007 - 07:48 PM

I'm curious to know how the ASV perch/lever works & how much (if any) change was made in the clutch pull. I had my first ride on my '07 WR450 and going from the YZ250 to the 450 the clutch pull is quite hard.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.