Hhello everyone, newbie here & Oil filter question on YZ450

7 replies to this topic
  • muck

Posted January 15, 2007 - 03:59 PM

Ok, You all probably have read and responded about this alot. I have had my YZ450 now for a little over 2yrs. I religiously change my oil and air filter after every ride. This is where I might get flamed, tonight is the 1st time I am going to change the oil filter.....guess what I took the lower bblt out 1st. and when I went to install that bolt there was a liitle resistance. It statred getting harder and harder to turn. I did not want to force so I backed it out and notice that some of the threads on the bolt were rounded(starting to strip) this is where I need your help, what should I do??:lol:

Thxs...paul

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:36 PM

You've had a 450 for 2 years and this is the FIRST time your changing your oil filter? :confused:

Anyways...... Run a tap thru the hole with some grease on it to collect the shavings and buy a new bolt. :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:40 PM

First, unless you are using some really inadequate swill for oil, which you might be, every ride is probably overkill. Second, you should be changing or cleaning (depending on the filter type) the filter with every oil change.

But to correct the problem at hand, get a 6x1.0mm tap and the same size die. Use these to clean up the threads in the hole and on the bolt (or buy a new bolt). Grease the tap so that it will hold any chips it catches or creates.

To prevent the problem, ignore the manual's advice on using the lower oil filter cover bolt to drain the well. Instead, remove the lower bolt last of the three and let the filter well drain to the outside. Less metal debris will be routed through the threads of the lower bolt that way.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:41 PM

You've had a 450 for 2 years and this is the FIRST time your changing your oil filter? :lol:

Imagine what that looks like. :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • muck

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:51 PM

642MX & grayracer513 Thxs for your help and I knew that was coming. I will never listen to the locals again. Here is another one, the oil I use is yamalube..any more recommendations ?

• muck

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Imagine what that looks like. :lol:

YEAH......:confused:

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:01 PM

642MX & grayracer513 Thxs for your help and I knew that was coming. I will never listen to the locals again. Here is another one, the oil I use is yamalube..any more recommendations ?

Yamalube is good stuff, but there are better oils that are less expensive on the market, like the Shell Rotella 15W40 that I use. :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:50 PM

recommendations ?

Amsoil MCF and Mobil 1 MX4T retain their viscosity better than either Yamalube or Rotella. I would use either, but I get Amsoil for less.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.