ZipTy Racing Carb Modification - test

214 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted April 09, 2007 - 05:34 AM

Well, I've been hearing you guys descibe your reaction to the Zip-Ty mod for a few weeks now I think I need to send mine back to them.
I was the first guy on here to inquire about this mod and I think I was one of the first to send mine down to them..I hate to say it but I'm not experiencing the same performance increase that y'all are.
I feel a definite hesitation/bog down low and I'm running the exact same jetting as Ga450owner...there must be something wrong with my mod. I have the vague recollection that they told me they were missing one part of the mod and they were going to try and drill it themselves...this must be the emulsion tube. Maybe they didn't have any in stock and tried to engineer one?
I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Talk to Steve - he seems to be the most helpful. Explain to them that you are having issues and want them to double check their services:thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Well, I've been hearing you guys descibe your reaction to the Zip-Ty mod for a few weeks now I think I need to send mine back to them.
I was the first guy on here to inquire about this mod and I think I was one of the first to send mine down to them..I hate to say it but I'm not experiencing the same performance increase that y'all are.
I feel a definite hesitation/bog down low and I'm running the exact same jetting as Ga450owner...there must be something wrong with my mod. I have the vague recollection that they told me they were missing one part of the mod and they were going to try and drill it themselves...this must be the emulsion tube. Maybe they didn't have any in stock and tried to engineer one?
I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Same experience as me. I've talked to them a few times, but that didn't help much. Unfortunately, I may have to call again and see if there's anything else to do as I still experience the Bog and my low end isn't where it needs to be. The midrange - top end pulls outstanding however, so there's improvement, but I went back to stock jetting to try and get it to work better. They suggest a 48PJ but it didn't seem to affect anything.

My biggest complaint is that low end is still an issue and the bog is still there. I did have some success yesterday with adjusting the fuel screw, but it still needs more.

• lastchild

Posted April 09, 2007 - 08:44 AM

Talk to Steve - he seems to be the most helpful. Explain to them that you are having issues and want them to double check their services:thumbsup:

I'll give him a call but I only live about a mile from Factory Pro http://www.factorypro.com/.
They're the folks that really put this mod together. I can take the bike to Raul, have him put it in the Dyno and worry no more.
Seems kinda silly since I've already given my $100 to Ty Davis...I should have just driven down the block!

• WB450

Posted April 09, 2007 - 09:37 AM

I'll give him a call but I only live about a mile from Factory Pro http://www.factorypro.com/.
They're the folks that really put this mod together. I can take the bike to Raul, have him put it in the Dyno and worry no more.
Seems kinda silly since I've already given my $100 to Ty Davis...I should have just driven down the block!

:thumbsup:

• moochie

Posted April 09, 2007 - 11:54 AM

Maybe I'm not following what your saying...but my first thought was the same. Why didnt you just drive down the block ?

• WB450

Posted April 09, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Maybe I'm not following what your saying...but my first thought was the same. Why didnt you just drive down the block ?

Kinda what I was thinking.

• lastchild

Posted April 09, 2007 - 04:08 PM

Kinda what I was thinking.

I don't know...that's what I'm thinking too!
I guess it seemed easier at the time to just take off the carb and ship it down to So-Cal. If I took the bike to Factory I'd have to put some kinda take-off slick on the rear...the dyno trashes knobbies. Plus, they're always super busy.

• WB450

Posted April 09, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I don't know...that's what I'm thinking too!
I guess it seemed easier at the time to just take off the carb and ship it down to So-Cal. If I took the bike to Factory I'd have to put some kinda take-off slick on the rear...the dyno trashes knobbies. Plus, they're always super busy.

Still cool you'll know, let us know what happens on the dyno.:thumbsup:

• kxman

Posted April 10, 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hope you guys get it straightened out. Please post back what Zip-Ty's response is. I just got back from riding my bike and couldn't be more pleased with the way it runs after their mod.

• WB450

Posted April 10, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Hell, I was so pleased with my carb I ordered thier new rad braces today. Still waiting for a dip stick!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moochie

Posted April 11, 2007 - 04:51 PM

I didnt really have any carb related issues with my 06 450 until I installed a Rekluse z-pro clutch. With the clutch installed the bike would occasionally do a cough and stall out of slow corners. Someone suggested the zip-ty mod to correct that so I sent it out to them. Got it back and rode it yesterday and it now runs better than ever and no hint of coughing and stalling. $100.00 well spent!

When I called out there, they said they were doing some R&D testing on the new Rekluse clutch and gave me a few tips on the clutch that came in really handy!

• kxman

Posted April 14, 2007 - 02:25 AM

I didnt really have any carb related issues with my 06 450 until I installed a Rekluse z-pro clutch. With the clutch installed the bike would occasionally do a cough and stall out of slow corners. Someone suggested the zip-ty mod to correct that so I sent it out to them. Got it back and rode it yesterday and it now runs better than ever and no hint of coughing and stalling. $100.00 well spent!

When I called out there, they said they were doing some R&D testing on the new Rekluse clutch and gave me a few tips on the clutch that came in really handy!

What tips did they give you?

• MTshirt

Posted April 22, 2007 - 03:08 PM

First ride with the Zip Ty carb today.
Best bang for the buck out there.
Well worth the $160 bucks.

• Yamahafan

Posted April 22, 2007 - 05:40 PM

First ride of the year -

After a couple throttle twists to prime the carb the bike fired up on the second kick. The low-to-middle end throttle response was lightswitch quick, almost, dare I say it, too responsive. I have a WB Aluminum Pro pipe and stock gearing 48/13. I had to lean forward a lot and be very careful to keep the front end down on acceleration. I installed a new Sunline throttle cable over the winter which didn't have any slack. I had to be very careful on jump landings not to overtwist the throttle or I would be on the verge of looping out. I put a little slack back in the throttle, which I had to do at the carb when I got home because the slack adjustment near the throttle was already at the max, and will try again. If the carb is still too responsive I will consider cutting the AP actuator arm wire (Redbeard mod) and replacing it with the thick O-ring supplied in the JD Needle Kit.

[Better yet, I might add a little more flywheel weight to take the edge off the hit and decrease stalling in corners. :applause: ]

This is my fourth ride on the 450F. I love the power of the bigger bike, but the power seemed almost too abrupt with the Zip-Ty + Redbeard Mod anywhere in the low to middle throttle range. In any event this problem is a good problem to have and I would send my carb to Zip-Ty again in a heartbeat.

• WB450

Posted April 22, 2007 - 06:58 PM

First ride with the Zip Ty carb today.
Best bang for the buck out there.
Well worth the $160 bucks.

Why $160.00?

• DPW

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:03 PM

Why $160.00?

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTUyMA==

• WB450

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:14 PM

Wow, $100.00 seems like a steal now!:applause: :excuseme: :p :p

• WB450

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Sorry about the gloating bro, after talking the Steve I was wondering when it was going to happen, $100.00 was a steal.

• DPW

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:20 PM

two options>>>> the kit which I posted a link too and the mod only which is $100...http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTUxOQ==

• steve_97060

Posted April 22, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I just pulled my carb today and have it all packed up to be shipped out tomorrow... How long did it take you guys from shipping it out to getting it back?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.