ZipTy Racing Carb Modification - test

214 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted March 28, 2007 - 07:01 PM

The part number is listed in a chart on 7-9 in the manual. Order it from Yamaha. Doug Dubach was the first one I'm aware of to make this recommendation, and Yamaha themselves went to the NFLR in '07.

Specific jetting isn't really an element of the Zip-Ty mod.

Ummm...Going to a new needle is only for 8k ft and above according to Dubach. Not sure why you'd make this suggestion when I don't ride that high of an elevation.:bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Well, there are a couple of problems here, aren't there?

One is that the Jetting specs currently listed on the new Dr.D site specify a "needle jet", and gives a part number of 5TA-14916-PL-00. To start with a needle jet would be a **-14947-**-**. A **-14916-**-** is a JET NEEDLE. The next problem is that the part number given doesn't come up as a valid Yamaha part number. My conclusion is that it's a misprint. The number intended could have been 5TA-14916-LP-00, but that needle in #4 would be a step and a half richer. Doesn't add all the way up.

The second is that the only change recommended for extreme altitude is either a half step leaner needle or a 1 size drop in the main. If a 450 runs a 165 at sea level, 8000 feet should call for something closer to 158.

In any case, the info I cited is from the old version of the site, and is different from what's there now. Ask Ga426owner if you doubt it. (come on, you know you doubt it). I've also pointed out on a number of occasions, and provided references for backup, that the change to the NFLR results only in a 1/2 step change for the leaner, not a major change. It's fine tuning at best.

Doug Dubach recommended a combo of 165/42/ with an NFLR in #4 for nearly a year until the web site was revamped. He's free to change his mind at any time, of course, but given the established errors in the currently posted info, I don't think that's what happened.

Suppose you tell me why you think I made that recommendation.

• Ga450owner

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:32 AM

Ummm...Going to a new needle is only for 8k ft and above according to Dubach. Not sure why you'd make this suggestion when I don't ride that high of an elevation.:bonk:

You may want to recheck that he and you are talking about the needle jet....Doug has been recommending the NFLR for the 06 for a long time....

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:41 AM

You may want to recheck that he and you are talking about the needle jet....Doug has been recommending the NFLR for the 06 for a long time....

Like I said, there's something fundamentally wrong there. The part is referred to as a needle jet, but the part number is for a needle. It also comes up "not found" when you search it in the parts book. Looks like a straight up misprint.

• Yamahafan

Posted March 29, 2007 - 09:44 AM

45pj
165-170mj depending on temp
NFLR 4th clip

Temperature clarification -

Zip-Ty told me they run the following standard jetting on their race bikes (after Zip-Ty mod) for 72 degrees at sea level to 1000 feet:

168 main jet at 72 degrees
NFLR needle in 4th clip (middle clip)
Fuel screw at 2.5 to 2.75 turns out
48 pilot jet
standard leak jet = 55

Start from there and adjust for temp, altitude and humidity.

Zip-Ty did not change any of my jets.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:29 PM

So, how many are running this mod with premium pump fuel only? Race gas is hard to come by where I live now, and will be even harder to come by where I'll be in about a month, so if I'm going to need race gas I'll probably spend my $100 on something else.

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:37 PM

There is nothing about this mod that would require higher than pump premium octane levels.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Ga426 just mentioned somewhere in this thread that ZipTy recommended running premium pump/race gas 50/50. I'm planning on sending my carb in as soon as I get my tax refund, as well as adding a few more accessories to my bike :bonk:

• BKRacing

Posted April 03, 2007 - 08:52 PM

http://www.ziptyraci...spx?id=MTUxOQ==

Comparatively speaking (Tokyo Mods) appears to be a steal of a deal? I wonder if they do the same amount of work?

If you dont want to be over charged for things you didnt ask them to do, dont go to Tokyo Mods, 3 times the original price quoted in my case:mad: . I have not dealt with ZitTy racing, they are supposed to be good, but I have had great luck with everything I've brought to Nicoll Racing in San Clemente.:naughty: :bonk:

• Ga450owner

Posted April 04, 2007 - 04:02 AM

Ga426 just mentioned somewhere in this thread that ZipTy recommended running premium pump/race gas 50/50. I'm planning on sending my carb in as soon as I get my tax refund, as well as adding a few more accessories to my bike :naughty:

With the Zipty Mod

prem pump works fine :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kxman

Posted April 04, 2007 - 08:29 AM

What jetting is everyone running with the Zip-Ty mod?

• Ga450owner

Posted April 04, 2007 - 11:47 AM

other than LJ the jetting is what works at pre Zipty mod.

I am 45/48 pj & 165-170mj NFLR needle

• mxgene

Posted April 04, 2007 - 01:09 PM

Recieving mine back from ZipTy tomorrow. Will get a full three days on it and will post thoughts about it Mon...

BTW- I am using the JD jet kit with ERC 110 fuel...

• ragdoll 1

Posted April 04, 2007 - 03:30 PM

sent mine down today cant wate to get it back:thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted April 05, 2007 - 07:07 AM

45p 168m

• whiteYZ

Posted April 05, 2007 - 09:10 AM

for some reason i seem about dead on at 48 pj 168 main 2 1/4 turns out fuel screw, zip ty mod and dr.d exhaust. 07 1000ft above sea level about 50-55 out

• MTshirt

Posted April 06, 2007 - 12:32 PM

I got my 06 carb back from Zip Ty today. Still waiting on the parts to repair the engine/trans so it will be a week or so before I can try it. I may put it in the 07 just to see the differance it does make.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 06, 2007 - 07:59 PM

I'll probably be shipping my carb out on Monday, if I can break away long enough this weekend to pull the carb before I take off :bonk:

• mxgene

Posted April 08, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Ok. So I got my carb back on Thusday and went riding Friday and today (Sunday).
Best word to describe it is: WOW!

It pulls harder and is more consistent. Much better throttle response with no bog or hesitation whatsoever. Best $100 you can spend on a performance mod. When riding at 1/2 throttle, you open it up more and you are there immediately.

I highly recommend this mod to anyone with an FCR carb...

• lastchild

Posted April 08, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Well, I've been hearing you guys descibe your reaction to the Zip-Ty mod for a few weeks now I think I need to send mine back to them.
I was the first guy on here to inquire about this mod and I think I was one of the first to send mine down to them..I hate to say it but I'm not experiencing the same performance increase that y'all are.
I feel a definite hesitation/bog down low and I'm running the exact same jetting as Ga450owner...there must be something wrong with my mod. I have the vague recollection that they told me they were missing one part of the mod and they were going to try and drill it themselves...this must be the emulsion tube. Maybe they didn't have any in stock and tried to engineer one?
I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.