ZipTy Racing Carb Modification - test

214 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 06, 2007 - 03:35 PM

So do you still need to do this if you just unplugged the TPS, not taken it apart like you did?

I sent in my carb, but I've heard nothing about having to reset the TPS?

I'll give a ride report once it's back together. They are very easy to talk to and very helpful. Nice guys.

:applause:

no no need to reset if you just unplugged the coupler

• yama02yz250f

Posted March 25, 2007 - 06:18 PM

I am thinking of sending my carb out to them but my jetting is almost perfect right now....will they change that?

• twenty34

Posted March 25, 2007 - 06:37 PM

I am thinking of sending my carb out to them but my jetting is almost perfect right now....will they change that?

So if you have your jetting dialed in, why would you spend $100?

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Because the mod would still produce 1-1.5 more horsepower than he's making now. That's why.

Call Zip-Ty and ask them about the jetting. They'll leave it alone if it's close to what they recommend. Chances are you'll end up tweaking it a bit after the mod is done anyway.

• twenty34

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Because the mod would still produce 1-1.5 more horsepower than he's making now. That's why.

Call Zip-Ty and ask them about the jetting. They'll leave it alone if it's close to what they recommend. Chances are you'll end up tweaking it a bit after the mod is done anyway.

Do you have the Dyno that shows the added HP? How many bikes were tested?

They don't do anything to your jets, BTW.

You are correct that you may end up doing more tweaking than what you currently have to do. Again, if you have your jetting nailed aleady, you may not see much more improvement. I just had it done to my bike. I don't believe you've had it done GR?

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:43 PM

You might ask that of Zip-Ty

... if you have your jetting nailed aleady, you may not see much more improvement.

The mod makes a fundamental change to the main circuit, and alters the character of the fuel/air mix delivered to the airstream. This change will have the same effect regardless of how well the bike was originally jetted. If your jetting is spot on before hand, and you don't do anything to adjust for the modification, you won't get as much out of it as you would if you optimized the jetting post-mod, but that's true of anything.

I don't believe you've had it done GR?

What's your point?

• aford541

Posted March 25, 2007 - 07:58 PM

After receiving my carb back from ZipTy Racing - I noticed they spot clean it to perfection, much cleaner than I sent, emulsion Tube added, and accel pump wired and reset duration as well as complete new jetting. After installing it and resetting the TPS...I noticed a crisp throttle response as well as it fired up on first kick....(never disconnect your TPS at the carb....yuk that was painful)
Power Test - wow a lot better low and mid - coming out of corners is a new experience as this bike rips...they mention a 1 -1.5 hp increase...I noticed a much better bark for starts and at all throttle positions
They recommend a 50/50 mix of pump gas and VP C112....my test was on pump gas...so it should be even better with some racegas added.
Gave me a chance to order a alum Hot start nut...much better than the stocker.
All in all I am happy with this mod....for anyone that does not feel comfort in setting their own accel pump duration/wire method this is the way to go and you get the emulsion tube....
as well as all kinds of fun uninstalling and reinstalling a carb :applause: :eek:

I think I'm the most insane of the thumpertalk crew, I had an 07 yz 450 that had the head ported tokoyo mods carb the bike just ripped, everyone that has ridden it was totally impressed, but guess what it grenaded!
2000 parts bill, screw that, I bought another bike, I put my tokoyo mods carb, 2 power nows, disconnected TPS, stock pipe (yosh is getting rebuilt) and the bike was very good, it didnt have the hit of the mod motor but the head had never been off. I think that it would be ok for 99% of the riders out there.
power nows 200, tokoyo mods 240, and you are done, stock pipe and all.

I dare you to try it, youll dig it.

• twenty34

Posted March 25, 2007 - 09:13 PM

You might ask that of Zip-Ty

I'm quoting you, not ZipTy. I've never seen these numbers cited anywhere or with ZipTy - i.e. 1-1.5 HP gain.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 26, 2007 - 05:24 AM

They don't do anything to your jets, BTW.

You are correct that you may end up doing more tweaking than what you currently have to do. Again, if you have your jetting nailed aleady, you may not see much more improvement. I just had it done to my bike. I don't believe you've had it done GR?

If your mj, pj, and needle are set up properly - they will not touch it. They may modify the Lj to set the AP duration. They will add emulsion tube and wire the AP pump as well as their own tricks they will not discuss with you.
My jetting was set up as perfect as possible before sending the carb off to ZipTy. With their modification the bike runs so much better, crisper off throttle and more power. I don't need no stinkin Dyno to tell you this!
Point of this is - even if you think your jetting is set up correctly...the mod with Zipty will greatly enhance your bike. It is a night and day difference.
If you are even thinking of spending $$$ on powernows or quickshots.....forget about it......the ZipTy mod is that much better:thumbsup:

• MTshirt

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:10 AM

aford541,
What do you think caused your motor to come apart?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:10 AM

If your mj, pj, and needle are set up properly - they will not touch it. They may modify the Lj to set the AP duration. They will add emulsion tube and wire the AP pump as well as their own tricks they will not discuss with you.
My jetting was set up as perfect as possible before sending the carb off to ZipTy. With their modification the bike runs so much better, crisper off throttle and more power. I don't need no stinkin Dyno to tell you this!
Point of this is - even if you think your jetting is set up correctly...the mod with Zipty will greatly enhance your bike. It is a night and day difference.
If you are even thinking of spending $$$ on powernows or quickshots.....forget about it......the ZipTy mod is that much better:thumbsup:

What jets are you runnig?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:36 AM

What jets are you runnig?

45pj
165-170mj depending on temp
NFLR 4th clip

• WB450

Posted March 26, 2007 - 09:45 AM

45pj
NFLR 4th clip

Thanks. My bike runs really crappy when cold, how about yours? Where do you typically run your air fuel screw?

• twenty34

Posted March 26, 2007 - 06:52 PM

45pj
NFLR 4th clip

So what clip position is the slider stock? :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:07 PM

The stock '06 comes with an NFPR with the clip in #4. The two needles have the same major and minor diameters, but the taper starts slightly lower on the needle on the NFLR. Each clip position on the NFLR is a half step leaner than the same position on the NFPR.

Check out the chart on 7-7 in your manual.

• twenty34

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:36 PM

The stock '06 comes with an NFPR with the clip in #4. The two needles have the same major and minor diameters, but the taper starts slightly lower on the needle on the NFLR. Each clip position on the NFLR is a half step leaner than the same position on the NFPR.

Check out the chart on 7-7 in your manual.

Do you know where can you purchase the NFLR? I'm really curious at this point if it helps at all? The folks at ZipTy have not made mention of needing to get a different needle. Maybe I'm a little confused.

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2007 - 07:56 PM

The part number is listed in a chart on 7-9 in the manual. Order it from Yamaha. Doug Dubach was the first one I'm aware of to make this recommendation, and Yamaha themselves went to the NFLR in '07.

Specific jetting isn't really an element of the Zip-Ty mod.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Thanks. My bike runs really crappy when cold, how about yours? Where do you typically run your air fuel screw?

depends on how cold.....under 55 and a larger mj is needed (I use a 168 or 170)
otherwise adjust fuel screw 1.5-2.5 out

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Do you know where can you purchase the NFLR? I'm really curious at this point if it helps at all? The folks at ZipTy have not made mention of needing to get a different needle. Maybe I'm a little confused.

I also spoke to them about the needles...they do not care what needle you use...I had the NFLR before the carb mod so I kept it in. You can buy these at any yami dealer....5-8bucks
Grey is right it adds a little leaner condition. DRD recommends it for the 06 and 07 it comes in stock...
I also use JDs needles on my 03 and carb is modded by Zipty

• WB450

Posted March 27, 2007 - 04:35 PM

depends on how cold.....under 55 and a larger mj is needed (I use a 168 or 170)
otherwise adjust fuel screw 1.5-2.5 out

Thanks, FYI Steve took care of all of the issues I had with my carb, great guy!:naughty: :D :bonk: :p :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.