ZipTy Racing Carb Modification - test

214 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:31 PM

Did you guys go with the "kit" or just the carb mod? I have to call them today as soon as the open to ask a few questions before I send it out.

I think the only difference is the kits includes Zip Ty>>FUEL SCREW, HOT START NUT and MAGNETIC FLOAT BOWL DRAIN NUT and the mod does not. For $60 difference not to bad of a deal..

• Huckster

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:35 PM

Yup, you are right on. I already have a Fuel screw so I dont need it. I sent it off today and am anxious to get it back.

• DPW

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:46 PM

Huckster,

Report back the results....I'm thinking about sending them my carb too, just need the OK from my sponsor(wife). How did you ship it as far as packaging..zip-lock bag with a lot of bubble warp?

• Ga426owner

Posted January 17, 2007 - 01:07 PM

I did not buy the kit - but I did buy the hotstart nut - it is much better than the cheasy stock plastic - I had the fuel screw already.
I shipped mine in bubble wrap in a ziplock bag - they shipped back to me in a sealed bag

• Huckster

Posted January 17, 2007 - 01:56 PM

Definitely ship it in a zip lock bag. I just learned my lesson on that as the post office called me and wouldn't ship it because it smelled like gas. I cleaned it out and all, but it still smelled so make sure you seal it up in something.

• FOZZ

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:01 PM

Mines boxed up going out tommorow...

• lastchild

Posted January 18, 2007 - 01:26 AM

Well If I Live In Reno Nv High Elevation Will It Be Jetted Corectly Or Should I Send It To Them And Then Put It On The Dyno And Jet It Hmm I Think Im Gonna Pop Her Off Tomorrow Morning Then Send Her In

It won't be jetted correctly for Reno. I had them send me the jetting specs that Ty Davis used at the Honey Lake round of the WORCS series and when I rode the bike at Moonrocks it ran like crap...if you figure it out let me know!
They told me their stock set-up is good from sea level to about 3K feet.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 18, 2007 - 04:49 AM

It won't be jetted correctly for Reno. I had them send me the jetting specs that Ty Davis used at the Honey Lake round of the WORCS series and when I rode the bike at Moonrocks it ran like crap...if you figure it out let me know!
They told me their stock set-up is good from sea level to about 3K feet.

You should be able to use the same jetting spec that works in the stock carb - after you rejetted for your altitude with the ZipTy mod...:lol:

• Ga426owner

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:34 AM

Well after about 5 hrs on my bike from this mod - I can say with 100% certainty this is the best bang for the buck I have every spent on modding my bikes. $100.00 and my bike absolutely rips....I let a buddy of mine ride it yesterday. He is a A-Rider that is going Pro this year. He is and has been on CRFs for the past few seasons....his response after riding my bike...the throttle response and power low to mid transition flat out blows his CRF away. Although his CRF has more on top, which is the case for 06/07 CRFs he is flat out amazed by response from starts and out of corners..he did prefer my suspension to his, but that is another story...he is pulling his carb out tomorrow to ship to ZipTy...

the facts - :ride:
Carb is completely checked, cleaned
AC pump is wired - correctly no issue of ever binding
a emulsion tube is added -
Fuel - Zipty said pump gas is fine but recommends VP C12 and prem pump 50/50 blend - this is what I am using
I have aftermkt WB Alum Pro2 complete system so power is better everywhere
no more popping period end..absolutely zero hesitation on twisting the throttle
jetting is stock 168mj/48pj - 06 stock needle 4th clip - I will swap out stock needle for NFLR this week and see what results this gives
power is increased - to me at all rpm ranges..it is night and day different than my 06 was stock..
bike starts on first kick everytime
This made me learn Carb dynamics much more....as well as removing/reinstalling carb is a breeze now...just don't dissconnect the TPS on the carb like I did...big no no :ride:

and no Zipty is not paying me....:applause:

the bad news....my lower back is killing me today...it sux getting old :ride:

• steve_97060

Posted January 28, 2007 - 11:38 AM

Well after about 5 hrs on my bike from this mod - I can say with 100% certainty this is the best bang for the buck I have every spent on modding my bikes. $100.00 and my bike absolutely rips....I let a buddy of mine ride it yesterday. He is a A-Rider that is going Pro this year. He is and has been on CRFs for the past few seasons....his response after riding my bike...the throttle response and power low to mid transition flat out blows his CRF away. Although his CRF has more on top, which is the case for 06/07 CRFs he is flat out amazed by response from starts and out of corners..he did prefer my suspension to his, but that is another story...he is pulling his carb out tomorrow to ship to ZipTy...

the facts - :ride:
Carb is completely checked, cleaned
AC pump is wired - correctly no issue of ever binding
a emulsion tube is added -
Fuel - Zipty said pump gas is fine but recommends VP C12 and prem pump 50/50 blend - this is what I am using
I have aftermkt WB Alum Pro2 complete system so power is better everywhere
jetting is stock 168mj/48pj - 06 stock needle 4th clip - I will swap out stock needle for NFLR this week and see what results this gives
power is increased - to me at all rpm ranges..it is night and day different than my 06 was stock..
bike starts on first kick everytime
This made me learn Carb dynamics much more....as well as removing/reinstalling carb is a breeze now...just don't dissconnect the TPS on the carb like I did...big no no :ride:

and no Zipty is not paying me....:applause:

the bad news....my lower back is killing me today...it sux getting old :ride:

Thanks for the great information on having this mod done by zipty..I guess after hearing your review I will have to send mine in also..just not looking forward to taking the carb off, it is a pain in the ass on these 4 strokes..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • David37

Posted January 28, 2007 - 08:15 PM

Hey, Huckster and FOZZ could you write up a review after you put on the Zipty modified carb. After Steve97060's review and if your reviews are good as Steve97060's, I'm going to send my carb to Zipty.

• steve_97060

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hey, Huckster and FOZZ could you write up a review after you put on the Zipty modified carb. After Steve97060's review and if your reviews are good as Steve97060's, I'm going to send my carb to Zipty.

David, just to clarify...I was just quoting Ga426owner on the zipty mod, he is the one who had it done and wrote the great review on it...:ride: I plan on having it done in the near future now also...

• Huckster

Posted January 29, 2007 - 04:18 PM

I am not sure when I will be able to ride it, but I will let you know when I do. It looks like winter is finally here.

Taking the carb off was pretty easy. I am hoping putting it back on is the same if not easier.

• steve_97060

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I am not sure when I will be able to ride it, but I will let you know when I do. It looks like winter is finally here.

Taking the carb off was pretty easy. I am hoping putting it back on is the same if not easier.

How long was your total turn around time on getting it done? how did you shipt it? when you removed your carb, did you take everything off like Ga426 did?

• Huckster

Posted January 30, 2007 - 03:27 AM

I shipped it FedEx and put it in a sealed zip lock bag. They did the mod the same day they recieved it and I chose to have them ship it back Ground which usually takes 5 days from the west coast. They called me when it was done to ask how I wanted it shipped back.

GA gave me a few tips on how to remove it so it was easy.

• FOZZ

Posted January 31, 2007 - 02:39 PM

Im in the same boat with winter - gonna be awhile..

Turn around about 2 days at the shop then shipping time..

Great customer service so far..:ride:

• lastchild

Posted January 31, 2007 - 11:59 PM

Have you tried the NFLR needle yet? I'm curious how it works for you. Those guys told me not to bother with it, that the carb doesn't respond well to that needle.
Unlike you, I'm still getting some decel popping...and I'm running the exact same jetting you are.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 01, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Have you tried the NFLR needle yet? I'm curious how it works for you. Those guys told me not to bother with it, that the carb doesn't respond well to that needle.
Unlike you, I'm still getting some decel popping...and I'm running the exact same jetting you are.

they told me that too...but that does not make since to me - At stock it ran better with the NFLR. I am going to try it this weekend if the temps rise above - 48
Heck the 07 has this stock - do they change it out?
But It does run great with the stock - 06 ??NPLR??

• swatdoc

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:49 AM

Couple questions guys:

What is an emulsion tube, and what does it do?

Does anyone have a pic they can post on how the pump arm is wired?

thanks

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2007 - 12:24 PM

Here's a link to a PDF on the AP mod (from the Common Thread):

http://www.thumperta...560#post3137560

Emulsion tube is another name for Needle Jet, or Discharge Nozzle, or Main Nozzle, as it's called in the parts book. It holds the main jet, and contains the orifice in which the jet needle runs. In addition, it mixes fuel from the main jet with air from the main air jet, and is partly responsible for the spray pattern and droplet size of the fuel entering the intake air stream. It's item 17 below:

http://parts.yamaha-...ifx?d=88127,2,0

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.