ZipTy Racing Carb Modification - test

214 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted January 04, 2010 - 06:46 PM

powerbowl and a 52 leak jet is what I've done. Tweaked the main up 1 and fuel screw at 2 and leak jet between 2-3. Stock clip and needle. I don't how much better you can get. The R&D did come with a stiffer spring and the ap cam but I wired it anyway. Just my input. I personally wouldn't do Zip TY

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2010 - 07:26 PM

And I personally would not waste a dime on a Power Bowl. In the first place, the Zip-Ty mod modifies the main circuit. It is not an accelerator pump mod, and does not do the same thing.

• dvn

Posted January 05, 2010 - 04:24 AM

I went for my first ride since the zip ty mod. I didn't notice a dramatic difference. The bike did stall when I unintentionally whack the throttle with the clutch pulled in entering a corner. Bad habits are hard to break. :cheers: I went trail riding since this was my first ride since back surgery. I normal ride mx so I can't give a true review of the mod yet.

Hmmm I'm definately considering this now! I'll have to give them a call on Monday

Why? It doesn't sound like it did much at all. :moon:

• ZMoney520

Posted January 05, 2010 - 07:16 AM

The zip Ty mod was a waste of time and money for me. I couldn't see any improvement. The best thing I have done for my carb issues is buy a 2010 Yz450. Haha

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2010 - 07:36 AM

Why? It doesn't sound like it did much at all. :moon:

Depends on who you ask, doesn't it? Read the whole thread.

• Thesolidman1

Posted January 05, 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hey Grey, did you every get the mod on your 3rd carb, and if so, what is your impression? Also, I see the Zip Ty website calls the service "New and Improved" ( and the price is now $125), does anyone know what is new and improved? Thank you.

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2010 - 08:38 PM

Nope, never bothered. I got the bikes running well enough that I never was interested enough to spend for it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:09 PM

Only one complaint with my zip ty racing mod:
It's so damn responsive and peppy that it turns my little right hand flaws into big mistakes.
I may need to look into a flywheel weight?

• Ga426owner

Posted January 24, 2010 - 12:37 PM

ah bringing up old threads...I luv it :ride:

Folks I don't care what mods you do to the carb if the bike is not properly jetted correctly for the mod, you will get zero benefit from the mod, in fact you will probably get worse results.

Most riders will be fine with unmodded properly jetted carbs because most riders are not that in tune with what they have to have regarding throttle response.

The zipty mod works great on my 06 - there is zero bog and that is what I could not stand.

It did however make little difference on my 03 in the longterm....(Grey you and I discussed this at nausieum :banghead:)I ended up going back to stock and it worked better. Then I used the JD kit and it worked better still, but still not great
...Like KTM the lack of a LJ is the issue with this FCR....so it can only be tuned so far...Example of "The Law of Diminishing Returns"...although if I ever get a free or a 50% discounted Powerbowl I would like to see what if any benefit it has on a 03 FCR. Merge and others have kits for this also....

All of this will soon be a thing of the past as FI will put carb mod business out of business...funny that now you see FI mods coming out....it never ends :bonk:

• soulsedg3

Posted October 14, 2014 - 05:03 PM

yes only unplug the harness - and it is a great idea to etch the carb and black sensor - this way if it ever does move , you can align the etched marks for the correct setting:thumbsup:

Thank god someone had already done this on my bike!!   i removed it, cause it just made sense, then read after that you dont do this!   lucky for me, i had noticed someone had marked it.   So i was able to align it (not sure if it's totally perfect, but its in approx area)

• soulsedg3

Posted October 14, 2014 - 05:57 PM

And yes, totally revived this thread! mwahahaha.

From what i can read, the zip ty mod wont do much for my 03 yz450.   sounds like it has best results on the 06-07 range.

Although, just having them go over my carb, and check for everything wrong and replacing it, is worth it to me.   i'm not a carb guy at all.   I'm including a letter that indicates what i've seen on carb, and what elevation i ride at, and what avg temps are here. =)

• stevethe

Posted October 14, 2014 - 06:01 PM

And yes, totally revived this thread! mwahahaha.

From what i can read, the zip ty mod wont do much for my 03 yz450.   sounds like it has best results on the 06-07 range.

Although, just having them go over my carb, and check for everything wrong and replacing it, is worth it to me.   i'm not a carb guy at all.   I'm including a letter that indicates what i've seen on carb, and what elevation i ride at, and what avg temps are here. =)

He may be able to help you out with jetting but that's not really what the mods do. The mods and set up make the carb work right.

• soulsedg3

Posted October 15, 2014 - 05:18 AM

Yah i gathered that. But they do repair anything wrong with carb right? And charge you accordingly?
For instance gray thinks i might need a float needle thingamajig. And i know my bowl needs a gasket.

• stevethe

Posted October 15, 2014 - 05:21 AM

Yah i gathered that. But they do repair anything wrong with carb right? And charge you accordingly?
For instance gray thinks i might need a float needle thingamajig. And i know my bowl needs a gasket.

Yes they will, they do good work. But be sure to let them know about it also in your letter.

• soulsedg3

Posted October 15, 2014 - 05:27 AM

Awesome. Thanks bro!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.