ZipTy Racing Carb Modification - test

214 replies to this topic
  • Pilfer8

Posted April 04, 2008 - 11:20 PM

I have sent my carb into ZipTy. First of all I wasnt really happy with the turn around time. After reading this forum I was expecting a call from them asking/recomending changes I should make (like jetting) I had to start hounding them after two weeks to see what was going on. It took about a month to get the thing back. When I got it back it was clean but they had cut all my vent hoses (except two) and one was just gone. I haven't noticed any real difference in HP, but it starts easier and the popping is almost gone on decel:thumbsup: .. It seems to have a bit more low end tourque but I'm not sure if it's the mod or the Scary Fast power now plate I added while I had the carb out.
I have only ridden twice since getting the bike back but I think it has started rejecting the new organ so to speak. There is lots of spuddering on the low end. Earlier in this thread there is talk about ZipTy changing the jetting, but it is my understanding they dont change the jetting; not for $100.00 considering the ZipTy jetting kit is $130.00 ('03 450). So did ZipTy set up the jetting on my carb? Don't think so. They didnt even ask what pipe I am running, what elevation I ride at.. etc... And if they did change it, they didnt tell me to what. (I could look but thats not the point)
So my overall experience with ZipTy is negative. Next time I'll get a can of carb cleaner and a JD jetting kit and do it myself :prof:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 05, 2008 - 05:31 AM

I have sent my carb into ZipTy. First of all I wasnt really happy with the turn around time. After reading this forum I was expecting a call from them asking/recomending changes I should make (like jetting) I had to start hounding them after two weeks to see what was going on. It took about a month to get the thing back. When I got it back it was clean but they had cut all my vent hoses (except two) and one was just gone. I haven't noticed any real difference in HP, but it starts easier and the popping is almost gone on decel:thumbsup: .. It seems to have a bit more low end tourque but I'm not sure if it's the mod or the Scary Fast power now plate I added while I had the carb out.
I have only ridden twice since getting the bike back but I think it has started rejecting the new organ so to speak. There is lots of spuddering on the low end. Earlier in this thread there is talk about ZipTy changing the jetting, but it is my understanding they dont change the jetting; not for $100.00 considering the ZipTy jetting kit is $130.00 ('03 450). So did ZipTy set up the jetting on my carb? Don't think so. They didnt even ask what pipe I am running, what elevation I ride at.. etc... And if they did change it, they didnt tell me to what. (I could look but thats not the point)
So my overall experience with ZipTy is negative. Next time I'll get a can of carb cleaner and a JD jetting kit and do it myself :prof:

first of all - sorry you had a bad experience. When GNCC/Ty Davis is racing the shop does have some delays, no excuse I agree and I did get caught up with this on my 03 carb mod. You also added a power now that disrupts/adds complexity to any carb mod. I had one of these and frankly they are worthless IMO and I suggest you remove it. Otherwise you may never get the results you are looking for. The jetting issue..is something you need to have done either before or after the mod. They do swap LJ as part of the mod but you need to have the needle, clip PJ and mj set up for your altitude. On a 06 I suggest going to the NFLR needle as it cleans the jetting up 1/2 step leaner. Also they do cut the vent hoses, you can specify if you do not want them to cut them. I find the shorter hoses better to maintain as well as more efficient for what they are designed to do, this is a racers setup. Finally with only 2 rides since done....seems to me you need more seat time and a correctly jetted bike before making semi ride report. And if you are not satisfied - please call Steve at Zipty, he really went out of his way for me and many others for great customer satisfaction

• twenty34

Posted April 05, 2008 - 08:15 AM

Personally, I do believe there is benefit to the service they perform, however, IMO, most of the ride reports are from those that overhype the improvements. Kinda like a pipe or any other bike mod. 99% of riders are trying to avoid cognitive dissonance and therefore, will make themselves believe or hype the benefits in their own mind so that they feel they haven't been cheated or wronged. Just like buying a car. Car dealers will do whatever it takes post-sales to make sure you feel that you got a good deal and an excellent car. Zip-Ty and other motocross shops do ZERO for follow up. If they did, they would a lot less of these types of threads - from suspension, to carb mods, etc, etc. That's not the nature of this industry unfortunately.

When I got my carb back from Zip Ty, I think there was an improvement, but I think it was marginal for the cost of what they do. This will be debated, but that's my take on it - whether others feel I'm right or wrong.

As a general rule, the motocross industry is not that sophisticated and will continue to operate with a lack-luster attitude. Only the small guys will take the effort to make sure you are taken care of.

• twenty34

Posted April 05, 2008 - 08:27 AM

first of all - sorry you had a bad experience. When GNCC/Ty Davis is racing the shop does have some delays, no excuse I agree and I did get caught up with this on my 03 carb mod. You also added a power now that disrupts/adds complexity to any carb mod. I had one of these and frankly they are worthless IMO and I suggest you remove it. Otherwise you may never get the results you are looking for. The jetting issue..is something you need to have done either before or after the mod. They do swap LJ as part of the mod but you need to have the needle, clip PJ and mj set up for your altitude. On a 06 I suggest going to the NFLR needle as it cleans the jetting up 1/2 step leaner. Also they do cut the vent hoses, you can specify if you do not want them to cut them. I find the shorter hoses better to maintain as well as more efficient for what they are designed to do, this is a racers setup. Finally with only 2 rides since done....seems to me you need more seat time and a correctly jetted bike before making semi ride report. And if you are not satisfied - please call Steve at Zipty, he really went out of his way for me and many others for great customer satisfaction

Not to challenge your opinion here, but why should he or anyone else have to call these guys? He paid money for a service with poor turnaround that should have taken days, not weeks. I have been personally dealing with a suspension shop and PMB for a simple $10 part that still hasn't come. I send emails and they just don't respond. When I call, it's like talking to someone who's braindead. Why? It's the general theme of this industry. As long as there's enough money coming in so they can go riding on the weekend is about all that most of these vendors care about.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Personally, I do believe there is benefit to the service they perform, however, IMO, most of the ride reports are from those that overhype the improvements. ...

When I got my carb back from Zip Ty, I think there was an improvement, but I think it was marginal for the cost of what they do.

I think you are right in general about how results of mods like this get hyped, although I do think that the improvement from the air circuit part of the ZT mod is noteworthy. It needs to be borne in mind that this modification consists of two parts, the changes to the main air circuit, and the AP wiring mod. I have never agreed that converting to a solid or wired AP linkage is a good approach to the problem of weak AP output. In fact, I have no real complaint about the totally unmodded AP in either of my '06's, having been brought up, as it were, on thumpers with no accelerator pump whatsoever. And yes, they could be better, but it doesn't really hamper my riding that way it is.

Additionally, on an '08, much of the AP trouble that existed in the earier carbs has been addressed at the factory with a different diaphragm and a stiffer spring. So, if you have an '08, or for whatever reason had no particular problem with the AP performance on your older bike, you won't likely be impressed by the change on that side of the mod.

The air circuit mod is, IMO, much more significant, and while you will disagree as to its value, I think that at today's prices for stuff like this, it would probably be fair to charge $100 for that alone, compared to what you get from, say, an $800 exhaust system. But the improvement is subtle, having more to do with cleaning up the part throttle performance than with power output, and some may not even notice it. It's very important to realize that ZT does not rejet the carb in this, and that if your jetting is whacked before the mod, it will be just as whacked afterward, and this is the reason some, probably not you, have been disappointed with the results.

It's my observation that most people who are more content with the carb the way it was are less impressed by the changes. At the same time, those who expect too much from it are also disappointed. I've been on the fence about doing this to my own bikes because I haven't been dissatisfied enough with what I have to endure the down time. I have ridden ZT'ed YZF's and thought they ran very well, though, and now that I have a 3rd carb, I plan to have one done when the budget permits.

As a general rule, the motocross industry is not that sophisticated and will continue to operate with a lack-luster attitude. Only the small guys will take the effort to make sure you are taken care of....

Not to challenge your opinion here, but why should he or anyone else have to call these guys? ... It's the general theme of this industry. As long as there's enough money coming in so they can go riding on the weekend is about all that most of these vendors care about.

Customer service is a lost art, it seems, and you're right, it does seem worse in this business than others. Thankfully, there are still some in the industry like Doug Dubach and the guys at the Thumper Talk store to serve as reminders of how things should be. They screw up too, and sometimes it is necessary to bring a problem to their attention so it can be fixed. It's how they handle problems and out-of-the-box situations when they come up that separates the good from the all too typical.

• Pilfer8

Posted April 05, 2008 - 10:21 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your feedback. I was expecting to get ripped for trashing these guys a bit. Grayracer, I'm going to take your advice and get it jetted properly for my riding conditions and I will take the power now out like you suggested (do you really think it's useless?). Like I said, I definately noticed easier starting, so that in itself is a + :prof: But, so far I have had negative performance.
So after playing around with some jetting I will report again.
You educated me about the hoses. I feel better about that now.

Thanks again,

Dan

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2008 - 01:59 PM

The original purpose of the Power Now was to stabilize air flow at under 3/4 throttle in cammy engines with oversized carbs to promote cleaner throttle response within that range. By that, I mean they do much more for a 250F than a 450, and yes, I do feel that they are not worth their while on your bike.

• srfdwg2

Posted April 05, 2008 - 02:30 PM

Zip-ty mod on my bucket with adjustable leak jet was"AWESOME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can also say Steve is one helluva guy if you have any issues with his carbs.I was also a unhappy customer due to the turn around time it took to get finished.As again"STEVE"handled my bitching/crying like a man and had me feeling like an ******* afterwards"lol".So if you had any issues,I can assure you Steve at Zip-Ty will make any customer happy.If not you gotta be one big s%$# head.

• Pilfer8

Posted April 05, 2008 - 03:02 PM

Well I'm starting to feel like a bit of a $%#^ head because I took it into Yamaha today to check the valve clearances and they figure I have a bent valve (intake). So I will retract my statements about the performance.

• angrybob

Posted April 05, 2008 - 04:02 PM

I sent mine in about a month ago and the turn around time was about two weeks. I live in Phoenix (they are in the LA area) so shipping time was minimized. It seems they do the carbs in batches as I was told when I called to inquire about the status.

I had a unique reason for sending mine out to them. I bought a used '06 450 and the previous owner was in there. He was an absolute tool and should not be working on bikes. I sent it to them so they could go through the carb and make it right. I also went with the "kit" that includes the mixture screw hot start screw, and magnetic float bowl nut.

I got everything back on with their recommended settings. Its hard to make a sober judgement on the performance change. My spring to the hot start plunger was missing and prior to sending it out, the fueling was crap. Total crap.

Now that everything is sorted, its a first kick bike and the fueling is excellent. I do have a little popping on decel, but I think that's part of the beast itself. My only complaint is with the phone calls. I asked if they would make jetting recommendations and the first guy said "no - every situation requires a different jetting scenario". True, I argued but I don't race and am a weekend warrior. To no avail, he refused.

Having been down this path before, I called back the next day and got someone else. He said 45 pilot with 165 main now and 168 main when it Phoenix hot. Simple.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted April 05, 2008 - 05:14 PM

Not to challenge your opinion here, but why should he or anyone else have to call these guys? He paid money for a service with poor turnaround that should have taken days, not weeks. When I call, it's like talking to someone who's brainde I have been personally dealing with a suspension shop and PMB for a simple $10 part that still hasn't come. I send emails and they just don't respond.ad. Why? It's the general theme of this industry. As long as there's enough money coming in so they can go riding on the weekend is about all that most of these vendors care about.

To me if I am unhappy with a service I paid for - I will communicate to the operation that got my money period end for some kind of resolution. If I do not get any resolution, then yes I may trash them on a thread to everyone so no one else has to endure my path and get taken. I agree Rick...a lot of people in this industry seem to be somewhat braindead and I dare say "BongHit Central". But to ZipTys credit they will make things right. :thumbsup:

• chan470

Posted April 06, 2008 - 09:58 AM

ok you guys are starting to freak me out since I just sent my carb on thrusday. And what about the cutting of vent hoses? I wasn't aware this was part of the mod. Gray can you share your opinion on the purpose/benefit to cutting the hoses?

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2008 - 10:53 AM

Gray can you share your opinion on the purpose/benefit to cutting the hoses?

I don't know what their reasoning is for doing it in the first place, so, no.

• SXP

Posted April 06, 2008 - 07:11 PM

I don't know what their reasoning is for doing it in the first place, so, no.

On my carbs they cut two of the hoses to just below the float bowl and left the others the stock length. My guess is these two short hoses break any vacuum that might arise in the event the lower hoses get submerged in water as in creek crossings.

Also, on my 07 WR carb, they removed the O-ring I had around the AP linkages that I put there per the JD kit instructions. They returned the carb with no apparent mods to the AP linkage. Frankly, I didn't notice much of an improvement. The stock 07 carb with the JD kit rocked by itself.

I am also running an 05 carb on one of my 99 WRs and they changed the entire "cam" system on the AP linkages with an anodized billet piece and the difference was pretty noticeable. The Zip-Ty carb mod was well worth it on this bike/carb.

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2008 - 08:05 PM

On my carbs they cut two of the hoses to just below the float bowl and left the others the stock length. My guess is these two short hoses break any vacuum that might arise in the event the lower hoses get submerged in water as in creek crossings.

That would make sense, and if that's the reason they were to give, I would agree with it. But the top two hoses could also be pulled up and run to the air box to accomplish the same thing.

• chan470

Posted April 17, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Steve at Zip ty called yesterday. They are done with carb. and it is on it's way to me. I'll post when carb arrives. I sent carb to them from ky on 4/3. Zip ty has had excellent customer service so far. :thumbsup:

• chan470

Posted April 22, 2008 - 01:48 PM

Recieved carb today. It is very clean. I ask them not to cut my vent hoses and they didn't. Zip ty suggested 165/45 jetting for stock back @ 1000ft. Installing tonight. I'll post opinion after I go for a ride.

• chan470

Posted April 29, 2008 - 04:29 PM

I went for my first ride since the zip ty mod. I didn't notice a dramatic difference. The bike did stall when I unintentionally whack the throttle with the clutch pulled in entering a corner. Bad habits are hard to break. :eek: I went trail riding since this was my first ride since back surgery. I normal ride mx so I can't give a true review of the mod yet.

Funny story though, when I first started the bike it didn't want to idle and was surging/missing at closed to 1/4 throttle. I was mad cussing the zip ty mod then I remembered I didn't drain gas out from last race in oct. Drained gas put fresh in ran and start like the champ!:applause:

Zip ty did have excellent customer service as I have stated before. :p

I'll make it to the track soon and report back with a real review.

• Poopy

Posted August 26, 2009 - 06:43 AM

Anyone notice if this helps with flame out at all?

• MxRacer476

Posted January 02, 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hmmm I'm definately considering this now! I'll have to give them a call on Monday

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.