XRR Front Rotor options?

15 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Is this a topic like what oil to use or? Just wondering how to upgrade the stock brake set up, and have it ready for baja racing. Any comments greatly appreciated. :lol:

• BWB63

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:45 PM

Is this a topic like what oil to use or? Just wondering how to upgrade the stock brake set up, and have it ready for baja racing. Any comments greatly appreciated. :lol:

I went steel braided lines front and back. I noticed a difference in the front braking but, not the back as much if any. Once it is locked up the back is locked up. I went 280mm front rotor on the front and once again it did make a big difference in control and I am now able to lift the back tire off the ground on pavement where as before there wasn't a chance. I just bought my second 280mm rotor for one of my other front rims so I can quick change, I see that as a problem for racing if you are trying to keep the money down or you are using Honda pits. Honda pits will not have to oversized rotors on their front wheels.

• surfnride

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:01 PM

If you wanna rock, leave it stock.

• rdahl

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:42 PM

I went with the EBC oversized rotor. It was a huge improvement over stock. If i had the dough i'd go with Braking oversized wave rotor....since all the pros run it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

• surfnride

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:48 PM

And you would know the difference because you have tried lots of different setups? You have spent time and money to fined out the real difference?
I have found things that don't work and have gave my $.02 on that also but, at least I spent the money before I gave my $.02

Yes, I have tried different set-ups. I currently have a 650R with a Braking Wave rotor front brake set-up. If I was going to race it in Baja, I would remove it, and run a stock set-up.

For racing in Baja, my experience is that stock is the best way to go. Why?

1. Braking power has never won a race in Baja.
2. Availability of spares. Oversized rotors use a different caliper mount.
3. stock discs are very tough.

BWB63- I'm not sure I understand why you are attacking me? I've spent plenty of time and money. I'm very qualified to share my opinion with this man.
Ron Wilson

• BWB63

Posted January 15, 2007 - 10:06 PM

Yes, I have tried different set-ups. I currently have a 650R with a Braking Wave rotor front brake set-up. If I was going to race in Baja, I would remove it, and run a stock set-up.

For racing in Baja, stock is the best way to go. Why?

1. Braking power has never won a race in Baja.
2. Availability of spares. Oversized rotors use a different caliper mount.
3. stock discs are very tough.

BWB63- I'm not sure I understand why you are attacking me? I've spent plenty of time and money. 15 years of Racing in Baja. I'm very qualified to share my opinion with this man.
Ron Wilson

You are right, I came off way to strong. I am sorry. No excuse. At the time I was reading it as another post of, "stock is best, Honda made it, nothing can be better". I read alot of that here on the group and if you read how I wrote my post I was Implying that. In my first post, I think we are in agreement that it is not a good setup for racing, as I said, "I just bought my second 280mm rotor for one of my other front rims so I can quick change, I see that as a problem for racing if you are trying to keep the money down or you are using Honda pits. Honda pits will not have to oversized rotors on their front wheels."

Once again I was out of line....I bet I do it again at some point, I wish I could know how it is always being aplied.........I read it wrong a blew it.

As far as racing, I like a floating rotor (stock size) best. Less prone to being bent to the point of not turning. It may dent/bend but, it still might float enough to run through the caliper. For fun I run the oversized rotor, kinda fun trying to do a stoppie on a 320+ pound dirt bike

• surfnride

Posted January 15, 2007 - 10:26 PM

Cool, thanks for owning up.

I forgot to mention all the extra $. That would be reason #4.

Here's some other items I prefer to leave stock on a 650R in Baja:

Bottom triple clamp, Engine(yes, the whole engine cam, piston included) Carb, chain adjusters, skid plate, radiators. It's late, maybe i'll add more tomorrow.

• philipstjohn

Posted January 16, 2007 - 05:25 AM

Cool, thanks for owning up.

I forgot to mention all the extra $. That would be reason #4.

Bottom triple clamp, Engine(yes, the whole engine cam, piston included) Carb, chain adjusters, skid plate, radiators. It's late, maybe i'll add more tomorrow.

I would love to see your complete list of what to keep stock when racing Baja.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted January 16, 2007 - 05:28 AM

You are right, I came off way to strong. I am sorry. No excuse. At the time I was reading it as another post of, "stock is best, Honda made it, nothing can be better". I read alot of that here on the group and if you read how I wrote my post I was Implying that. In my first post, I think we are in agreement that it is not a good setup for racing, as I said, "I just bought my second 280mm rotor for one of my other front rims so I can quick change, I see that as a problem for racing if you are trying to keep the money down or you are using Honda pits. Honda pits will not have to oversized rotors on their front wheels."

Once again I was out of line....I bet I do it again at some point, I wish I could know how it is always being aplied.........I read it wrong a blew it.

As far as racing, I like a floating rotor (stock size) best. Less prone to being bent to the point of not turning. It may dent/bend but, it still might float enough to run through the caliper. For fun I run the oversized rotor, kinda fun trying to do a stoppie on a 320+ pound dirt bike

Is there an aftermarket floating rotor you prefer?

• pburke

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:55 AM

tell me more - I am about to spend $$$$ on stuff like that and anything I don't need to buy is good news.

Lower triple clamp? why? I was about to drop $150 on a BRP lower clamp to go with the upper and a Scotts. Glad I read that since I was going to call them today and place the order.

And since I'll be a rookie in Baja in '08, I will have to start another thread to learn everything about the pit options. Honda will swap wheels for you? What about Barnum and providing your own? Over here in the Midwest you don't really hear about how things work out there in the desert...

Motor - I was going to put in the HRC kit after learning that "that's what the bike was designed for" - not really for the power.

I'm ok with the stock brakes on the loose stuff - keep locking them up and falling off as it is :lol:

• BWB63

Posted January 16, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Just about everyone I know runs the stock lower clamp. David Grey got hit by a Jeep head on in the Baja 500 and the lower tripple clamp didn't break, I have a parts bike that hit a power pole and the tripple clamp made it. My point, if the crash is bad enought to mess up the lower tripple clamp, you are not riding again that day.
Some things I would NOT leave stock. The handle bar. The bendo mattics are junk. Top tripple clamp needs to be changed to move the bars forward and to install a steering dampner. The stator, needs rewind if you are going to use any real lighting. Intake valve are to soft and will need to be changed after a season or two. Suspension needs major help for racing. Different exhaust system, three pounds of weight will be gone and the bike will respond in the higher rpm's better. I love the difference a pumper carb gives in responce, once things get tight and you need to lift the bike now. A lot of the rest of the stuff has to do with what makes you feel better. I like the oil sight tube I have, case guard, better, more any greese for the steering stem bearings, shock and shock linkage bearings, split stator with one leg rectified for DC. A real light, pumper carb.,gripper seat.

• pburke

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Just about everyone I know runs the stock lower clamp. David Grey got hit by a Jeep head on in the Baja 500 and the lower tripple clamp didn't break, I have a parts bike that hit a power pole and the tripple clamp made it. My point, if the crash is bad enought to mess up the lower tripple clamp, you are not riding again that day.

That means $150 saved, I guess. :confused:

checking through the rest of your to do list:

The handle bar - taken care of - getting new Pro-Taper with the stabilizer anyway

Top triple clamp / steering damper - about to be ordered

split rewound stator, one leg rectified for DC - take care of

Intake valve are to soft - hmmm - Maybe when the HRC goes in

Suspension needs major help for racing - Barnum is planned, unless somebody talks me into doing it myself

Different exhaust system - taken care of

pumper carb - Got Edelbrock

oil sight tube - got that waiting to be installed

case guard - SRC, ready to install

grease for bearings - will do when I tear the suspension out

A real light - gonna get some HID when the time comes.

gripper seat - just installed

-----------

What about the usefulness of these things:

HRC kit - you write about lifting up the wheel when you want it with the pumper carb. Well, I have the bike uncorked with pumper carb, but it sure won't lift the wheel up when I want to unless I am in 1st gear. That's with 13-45 gearing, about equal to 14-48. Not sure what I need to do to get better response.

Benefit of stronger wheels (Excell, etc)?

dry-break tank? You really need that for Baja or is it just a time saver? I could care less about a few extra minutes at the gas stops - I'll be riding to finish, not to win.

Footpeg fix? I guess I don't want to find out what happens without it.

Fork brace? I don't see many race bikes that use them

Bold Graphics? :lol:

• surfnride

Posted January 16, 2007 - 09:30 AM

That means $150 saved, I guess. :crazy:

What about the usefulness of these things:

HRC kit - you write about lifting up the wheel when you want it with the pumper carb. Well, I have the bike uncorked with pumper carb, but it sure won't lift the wheel up when I want to unless I am in 1st gear. That's with 13-45 gearing, about equal to 14-48. Not sure what I need to do to get better response.

Benefit of stronger wheels (Excell, etc)?

dry-break tank? You really need that for Baja or is it just a time saver? I could care less about a few extra minutes at the gas stops - I'll be riding to finish, not to win.

Footpeg fix? I guess I don't want to find out what happens without it.

Fork brace? I don't see many race bikes that use them

Bold Graphics? :lol:

Glad I was able to save you the time and $ for the bottom clamp. The bike is "rigid" enough. Dry- break is nice to have. Makes the pit stops very smooth, easier on the pit crew also.

HRC power up kit- This past Vegas to Reno we were running 3rd OA, at mile 462 the bike blew up.(I was riding it) Brand new HRC power up piston. I'm quite certain a stock motor would have made it another 80 miles to the finish.

For 2 years I worked for bajaboundmoto doing tours in Baja. We rode un-corked basically stock bikes. (tim still does) A stock XR650R will do over 90 miles an hour. It will go 20,30 even 40,000 miles on the original piston, valves,(with oil changes, valve adjusts)

Please don't take this the wrong way...but...If you are having trouble getting the front end up on a good running 650, maybe it's time to invest in a motocross, or off-road riding clinic.

Benefit of stronger wheels? They look pretty.

Footpeg fix- without a doubt, I've snapped off two footpegs.

fork brace--no-the bike is rigid enough.

This has turned into a very thought-provoking thread. :confused:

• pburke

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Please don't take this the wrong way...but...If you are having trouble getting the front end up on a good running 650, maybe it's time to invest in a motocross, or off-road riding clinic.

well, I don't know if it's a good-running 650. It's a pretty good bike, but it doesn't seem to deliver the alleged punch everyone is talking about. I've done wheelies easier on a XT600 Tenere in 1984 than on this thing.

The only 650 I ever compared to it, and it was only for a few hundred feet on a parking lot, was a bone stock corked 650, and doing that little ride, it could not tell a difference to my bike. I have a hunch mine is still corked (if that is possible with an Edelbrock on there) ...I'll be tearing it apart today to take a closer look. The bike runs fine, but it definitely does not lift the wheel on command. I do need a rider course anyway, but I've been able to do these stunts on lesser bikes, so I was quite disappointed when I didn't have any trouble keeping the wheel down.

This has turned into a very thought-provoking thread. :lol:

It saved me a few hundred bucks already - I am not getting:

- fancy brake discs front and back
- lower triple clamps
- fork brace
- HRC kit
- Bold New Graphics

Money saved goes to Barnum for new suspension instead. Much more useful investment.

• surfnride

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:16 AM

"Money saved goes to Barnum for new suspension instead. Much more useful investment"

You are a very wise man, pburke. Feel free to PM me for anything else. Best of luck to you, and your team.
Ron

• porterdog

Posted January 16, 2007 - 11:50 AM

I am not getting:

- Bold New Graphics

What?! How can you expect to even finish without BNG?! Better get at least a few fresh stickers...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.