Best Chain O-Ring or not

9 replies to this topic
  • Fullbore4

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:16 PM

What do guys think is the best chain for a 450? What are the good and bad of o-ring vs. non-o-ring chains?

• socal_sierra

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:25 PM

D.I.D. Gold 520 ERT non-Oring chain, i dont care for x-ring or o-ring chains. Ive ran DID gold chains on all of my bikes and never had one problem with stretching or breaking. They also last a long time.. Thats my vote

• Desert Dog Z400S

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I prefer O-ring or x-ring chains simply because they tend to last longer. I ran one non o/x-ring and it didn't last for s*^$. BTW, you can tell a difference in power delivery between o-ring and x-ring. Xring feels better....slightly.

• socal_sierra

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:49 PM

i guess it depends on the conditions and terrain you ride also.. the reason i run non o-ring is because im mostly on the track and replacing the chain every season. It seems easier to me to just scrub the non o ring chain with a wire brush, lube it up and move on with life. O-ring and x-ring chains tend to use a little more gentle maintence.

• ausgeflippt13

Posted January 15, 2007 - 03:13 PM

I've also read that o-ring chains do not do as efficient a job as non-o-ring chains at putting the power to the ground. There is a little more power loss for the o-ring. However, it is very slight and the vast majority of people cannot tell the difference.

O-rings last much longer and are much less susceptable to "shatterage" as a non-o-ring. Also, the ride is smoother and there is less chain noise.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:37 PM

O-ring chains are a way better value for off road trail riding. Just dont go crazy spending a lot of money. Primary drive makes a pretty good o-ring chain that is a great price. You can buy chains twice the price but they wont last any longer.:lol:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:11 PM

What do guys think is the best chain for a 450? What are the good and bad of o-ring vs. non-o-ring chains?

If you just ride trails, get the o-ring. If you race a track, get the non oring chain.

• NavyNuke

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:57 PM

o-ring/x-ring tend to last longer, but they do rob some power. They are also wider for the same chain width, if clearance is an issue with your tire/bike setup. O ring type chains need a bit less maintance as well, and I'm lazy when it comes to that sometimes.

I run X-ring chains and replace them every year or so, but I ride 40 or 50 mile days 1 or 2 days a week, with some winter months seeing much more.

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I hate to adjust chains, so I use an O-Ring chain. :lol:

• Fullbore4

Posted January 15, 2007 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the info.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.