Will an O-Ring chain fit on a YZ450

9 replies to this topic
  • JCW

Posted January 15, 2007 - 12:28 PM

I'm ready for a new chain and I'm wondering if an O-Ring chain will fit or if it will rub on the engine case around the counter sprocket. My son has a YZ125 and there's not enough room for an O-Ring chain. I prefer the O-Ring since I ride off road.

Thanks,
JCW

• Bigcr

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:19 PM

DID makes a new "T" ring chain that is a lot slimmer than a regular O-ring chain. I put one on my '07 and it's not even close to rubbing. I ran it 3 times at the track before I got hurt (that's another story) and haven't had to adjust it, so it can handle the power.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 02:21 PM

Reasonably narrow sealed chains like the Regina ORN6 (which I use exclusively) or the DID ER series will fit. There have been problems with some of the less expensive, wider chains like Primary Drive hitting the frame at the sub frame tab.

It's important to get the rear wheel alignment dead on with the '06-7, because if it's off, and the marks are not guaranteed accurate, it will set up a lateral whip that will cause the same contact.

• JCW

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll get one of those two brands.

JCW

• MacJammer

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:20 PM

I just put a primary drive full set on my 450. X-ring chain and new sprockets fit just fine. I would recomend changing all three at once if you haven't yet. I broke 19 teeth off of my rear sprocket after about 10 rides. My chain was stretched to max. Oh 80 bucks for the whole set from Rockymountainatv.com.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yami racer

Posted January 16, 2007 - 05:53 AM

Reasonably narrow sealed chains like the Regina ORN6 (which I use exclusively) or the DID ER series will fit. There have been problems with some of the less expensive, wider chains like Primary Drive hitting the frame at the sub frame tab.

It's important to get the rear wheel alignment dead on with the '06-7, because if it's off, and the marks are not guaranteed accurate, it will set up a lateral whip that will cause the same contact.

What is the easiest way to ensure it is dead on? Do I measure from the wheel block to back of swingarm? This is what I have been doing not sure if its the best way though.

• Yamahafan

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:11 AM

The BEST and most accurate way is to use you sagsetter tool or yard stick to measure the distance from the rear axle to the bolt the attaches the swingarm to the frame and the back of the motor.

Unfortunately it appears that Sagsetter has gone out of business. I would love to buy up their inventory. They had a great tool.

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2007 - 08:28 AM

What is the easiest way to ensure (the wheel alignment) is dead on? Do I measure from the wheel block to back of swingarm? This is what I have been doing not sure if its the best way though.

Measuring from the axle to the swing arm pivot is an accurate way of doing this that requires little set up or special equipment.

A better way that's slightly more complicated is to roll the chain off and clamp a straight rod to the side of the rear sprocket. The rod should be long enough to reach the front sprocket. The wheel is then adjusted so that the rod just touches the same side of the front sprocket. At that point, you either simply make a note of any discrepancy in the alignment marks, or correct them by adding a new pair either behind or in front of the existing ones.

There are tools made for this that range from a $30 Motion Pro type to Lasers running $90 to $1400 and up that don't require the chain to be removed. The Motion Pro, or something similar would be handy to have.

• red7

Posted January 16, 2007 - 10:20 PM

Yep, I'm running the same Regina and no problems.

• DPW

Posted January 17, 2007 - 01:03 PM

Yep, I'm running the same Regina and no problems.

Ditto...2 rides so far

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.