89 XR 600 pulse timing

have a 89 XR 600, the pulse rotor will align on any of the splines on the crankshaft, (no indexing) does anyone have the correct method of timing the ignition rotor to the puse coil/crank position?

Are you sure? My 93 is keyed. It would only go on in a single position. None of the timing parts had any adjustment. It would only go together one way.

If it can go on in different ways, there will be an index mark of some kind. It is usually in the form of a small dot on both parts. Aligh the dots.

OK, now I know that this will sound strange but I just put a new sprag starter clutch in a 1995 Triumph Speed Triple (requires a complete engine tear-down) and was struck with the same boggle. I do not know what the pulse wheel looks like on a Honda XR but I found that when I looked closely (or not!) there was either one "tooth" missing or out of orientation and it is the first tooth after the gap that sets it to TDC at the sensor.

Then again I could be real wrong as Honda and Triumph may have little in common. Generally speaking, the design that you are describing is not very Poke-Yoke (error proof) (pronounced 'poke-eye O.K) and thus not very Japanese and thus not very Honda. Maybe it is a Zen thing "there is no right and there is no wrong....Grasshopper...only degrees of rightness and wrongness."

Please post the answer to this conundrum when you find the shining path to power and a smooth running engine.

thanks guys, the crank has an offset spline, the pulse rotor does not. I was hoping someone new the relationship of the pulse rotor position to the pulse coil to the flywheel "F "mark thaks again

Someone must have screwed with your rotor, I have worked on quite a few 600s and have never seen a rotor without the locating spline.

• 2 months later...