Chain and Sprockets

13 replies to this topic
  • 30-A rider

Posted January 15, 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have done a search so dont flame me; just didnt get any solid recomendations for my particular needs.

2000 YZ 426. I dont race but do ride an MX track. Dont care so much about weight..most interested in best bang for your buck.

Lets keep it simple with recomendations and explanations, and hopefully there wont be any flaming amongst TTmembers on this thread.

Thanks in advance to all who reply..much appratiated.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 12:07 PM

For the chain, I recommend the Regina ORN6. It's a $65 chain (Regina makes the identical Renthal R1, which sells for around $85) that will last about two years or more if you take care of it.

Sprocket choice is pretty wide open. I'd avoid the cheapest stuff, and probably would not go with the most expensive, either.

Steel rears last the longest, but except for Ironman and one or two others, they are very heavy. Good quality, truly hard anodized aluminum sprockets like the Tag and AFAM rears hold up quite a bit better than heat treaded alloy cogs like Renthal. Your choice.

• King_Air

Posted January 15, 2007 - 12:27 PM

I second Grays recommend chain and Tag sprockets. I just got the Regina chain and Tag front and rear from right here at the good ol Thumper Talk store. I haven't done any rides with them yet, but I like the looks of them for now.

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:44 PM

I use the Primary Drive brand from Rocky Mountain. You can get an O-Ring chain and 2 steel sprockets for $57.99. After a year of use on my 426 I had to adjust the chain once and the sprockets look nearly new.

• Wiz636

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:28 AM

I have been running a Regina ORN6 and Sunstar steel sprockets on my 426 for about 8 months now and I still do not see any indication that they are wearing.

I ride at least once a week but usually more, race harescrambles/GPs and this last winter involved lots of wet and muddy riding. I clean the bike after every ride and use simple green and a scrub brush on the chain/sprockets followed with a good rinsing from the garden hose. After that I spray it down with WD40 to get the water off...once it dries I lube it up with Dumond Tech chain lube.

I'm due for new chain/sprockets on my RM250 and I am going with a Regina non-ring chain (just for comparison) and Sunstar sprockets...unless somebody has an alternate recommendation for good, inexpensive (I don't mean cheap though!) sprockets.

By the way, I heard somebody say that Ironman sprockets are hard on hubs because they don't have very much contact area...anybody know anything about this? Also heard they are 'too' hard and this results in a drive that is too jerky...don't flame me, just repeating one of the many rumors that one hears! I can't imagine that with all the shifting, accelerating, braking, bumps, etc that one could even sense such a thing...

• grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:46 AM

... heard they are 'too' hard and this results in a drive that is too jerky...don't flame me, just repeating one of the many rumors that one hears! I can't imagine that with all the shifting, accelerating, braking, bumps, etc that one could even sense such a thing...

If anything, the Ironman should be "springier" than an equivalent aluminum cog. I agree with you that either gear is still a disc of metal bolted directly to the hub, and how anyone can profess to be able to feel the difference at all is beyond me.

But it will make a good addition to the product line at my Black Feather Racing Products division.

• yz007f

Posted March 27, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Pro Taper sprockets are a good choice if you want to stay with Alum ones.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldfordz

Posted March 28, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Anyone use the Sunstar sawtooth (or staggered) rear sprockets?? I get a good season and a half out of mine and for the money, you can't beat them...they just aren't pretty...black only.

• yzsurfer

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:21 PM

I have the Ironman on my '00 426 and it still looks great. Been on a long time with a lot of Baja miles. Never felt any jerky ride or anything mentioned above. Used to go through Renthals regularly. Nuthin' but good things to say about the Ironman, I'll stick with them.

Jeff

• CaseyWR450

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:31 PM

I use the Primary Drive brand from Rocky Mountain. You can get an O-Ring chain and 2 steel sprockets for $57.99. After a year of use on my 426 I had to adjust the chain once and the sprockets look nearly new.

I just got Primary Drive a sproket kit with an X-ring chain hoping it holds up well.

• DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2007 - 01:27 PM

Second That :bonk:

• Ganadore

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:57 PM

Best bang for the buck = most anything thats not OE.......

• rideawn

Posted April 02, 2007 - 08:29 AM

114 links for replacement chain on stock '07 gearing (13/49), correct?

• Dirt Vader

Posted April 03, 2007 - 09:07 AM

Yes 13/49 114.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.