suspension setup 07 450f

13 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:09 AM

I have a buddy of mine who has a 2007 450f. What do you think might work for suspension settings for his abilities. Hes a 200lb +30B class rider.

I have a 06 450f and I also race C/B and +35 class. He lives in SC and I live in FL. I ride mostly sand with braking bumps and whoops and SX style tracks. He rides hard pack red clay and some loamy stuff with lots of big jumps.

Posted Image

• djtroy

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Anyone have any advice??

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:10 PM

I rode an 07 450 and the suspension felt like it was built for me. I'm 225 lbs and a B rider. I don't think I'd change anything.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 07:03 PM

At that weight, the spring rates should probably be moved up a step.

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:21 PM

At that weight, the spring rates should probably be moved up a step.

I would have thought that too, but I didn't bottom out on anything. :lol: Maybe I wasn't riding it hard enough?...LOL.

• Bigcr

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I'm 220lbs. w/o gear and here's my set up: .50 fork springs with the oil 10cc less than stock. 5.8 rear spring. Add 2-3 clicks of rebound. This set-up works better than all of my friends bikes that have been re-valved by MB-1 and Factory Connection. However they ride Hondas so I don't know if they count.

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:39 PM

I would have thought that too, but I didn't bottom out on anything. :lol: Maybe I wasn't riding it hard enough?...LOL.

The new YZF suspension is stellar, but it really is sprung for riders in the 165-185 range. The fact that it works so well with riders over that weight is a tribute to just how good it is. Once you've tried one with enough spring to match your weight, you'll see the difference. I know one kid who's around 240, and he raves about his '06, which is still all stock. It's hard to convince him that it could be even better when it's better than anything he's ever ridden.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:47 PM

The new YZF suspension is stellar, but it really is sprung for riders in the 165-185 range. The fact that it works so well with riders over that weight is a tribute to just how good it is. Once you've tried one with enough spring to match your weight, you'll see the difference. I know one kid who's around 240, and he raves about his '06, which is still all stock. It's hard to convince him that it could be even better when it's better than anything he's ever ridden.

Good point.

• djtroy

Posted January 16, 2007 - 05:33 PM

I'm a fat guy too weighing in at 215lbs pretty decent spare tire, but this bike sure beats the 2001 kx125 ive been beating on all these years. I guess I need to stiffen up my 06 450f? How much would it cost to get my bike set up right? Are there any settings I should change on those clickers? I'm a suspension noob. The whole thought of playing with the suspension freaks me out. I have never done it before. i was thinking I would send them away and be done with it.
Any advice on setting up the stock stuff for now?

• Bigcr

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:14 PM

Set your sag first. Do a search on setting your sag and go from there. You'll probably need stiffer springs. Don't be afraid of the adjusters, that's what they're there for.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Agreed = the 06/07 suspension is great for the 165 - 190lb range...After it is broken in and some wear occurs it will bottom and become somewhat harsh for a 205 + lb-der B rider
I went with .48 fork springs and 5.6 shockspring - I am 210lbs - after this and a revalve it is perfect...:lol:

• red7

Posted January 16, 2007 - 09:54 PM

Stiffen up the clickers from stock and you may be fine depending upon how hard you ride.

• sigepmock

Posted January 17, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Just got my 07 dialed in. I'm 6'-2" 230 lbs with gear. Left front springs the same, went up to a 5.7 in the rear. I'll get the exact specs tonight. I know we changed fork oil height and revalved for the stiffer rear spring. Made a huge difference. No more bottoming and its a ton smoother with the compression not cranked all the way up. Also the added rebound on the rear really helped on the whoops sections.

Again I'll get exact specs up tonight when I get home.

Chris

• howard27

Posted January 17, 2007 - 09:27 PM

245lb here! Stock was great. I run a .50 front a 6.5 rear with ohlins valving . Tell the kid I said "DO IT":thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.