Metal in the engine casing.

4 replies to this topic
  • KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 05:41 PM

I was tapping out a bolt hole in my brothers YZ 450 to helicoil it and while treading the hole, the bottom broke through. THere were two pieces of metal from the crankcase cover that fell right on the lip of some gears. I was able to get the bigger of the two pieces, but a small piece about the size of an "a" maby a little smaller fell down into the cases.

What should I do? Could I use a small vacum with a hose on it to try and find the piece?

Anything besides splitting the cases.

Advice?

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:18 PM

You were repairing the threads in the right side case cover for the oil line, right? Just pull it off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 09:08 PM

Well, I actually watched the piece fall into the center cases. But I fixed it. I got a small LED light and a long twig. I wrapped some duct tape around the end of the twig, located the piece of metal with the LED light and stuck the stick in the center cases, grabbing the metal and retracting it with the stick.

Whew!!! That was almost a mess.

Now the last problem. Some coolant got into the cases. What is the best way to deal with that? I was thinking about getting some regular 10w-40 oil and flushing about 3 or 4 quarts through the cases. Right idea?

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Heat a pint of oil on an outdoor grill CAREFULLY (use a thermometer and don't exceed 150 degrees F....hot oil is dangerous to handle) and pour it into the crankcases through the filler cap. Just let it sit there about 20 minutes and then drain the cases. If this is a pre-'06 model, also drain from the small drain on the left side, behind the shifter.

That should take care of the problem, but if you aren't sure, or your new oil shows signs of coolant contamination in the first 30 minutes, do a follow up oil change.

For picking up chips, you'd be surprised how well cotton swabs work.

• KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 11:17 PM

Good info, thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.