KLR600

12 replies to this topic
  • Smee

Posted September 19, 2001 - 12:04 PM

I just got a KLR600 (86) and love it. It is in great shape and only has 8600kms on the clock. I don't have a book yet or any tech info or pictures for my desktop. Can anyone help out? Any feed back from other owners or your past experiances with an 86? Thanx Smee

• Wilbur444

Posted September 21, 2001 - 01:41 PM

You might try the KLR/KLX group on Yahoo it seems to have a good deal of info and some helpful folks on it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KLX650

------------------
Rich Revis
Phoenix, AZ

• WR_Jason

Posted September 27, 2001 - 11:25 AM

NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!
I cant belive
1 you got an 86 KLR 600
2 You like it :).

I had an 86 KLR 250, it blew up around 8000 miles. WATCH the valves, they go tight and eat the top end up. Thats what happened to the 250.
I have ridden the 600 and did not like it on the street and would NEVER take it in the dirt. It weighs more than my 750 street bike, has soft scarry suspension, and brakes to match. Good pulling power though for riding solo around town.
Good Luck, with it, watch the valves, if it gets hard to start with the kicker, the valve seats are shot.

• RQBBAN

Posted April 13, 2008 - 11:17 PM

Good Luck, with it, watch the valves, if it gets hard to start with the kicker, the valve seats are shot.

I assume this might be the same problem with mine?

-84 Kawa KLR 600

(my first bike, I weight 76 Kg which isn't nearly as much as the bike).

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Btw, the 600 KLR works just fine in a city enviroment, at least for me. A bit hard if you accidentally turn the engine off due too high gear, but that's a noobs mistake (Haven't got my license just yet so I'm practising with my pa).

But thanks alot, my father told me it was a bit harder than 1 cyl. 2 tact. should be.

• buzzard111

Posted May 20, 2008 - 06:54 PM

dont listen to them smee. i got an 86 and i love it. it was in pretty hard shape when i got it though. i had to replace the starter clutch and the cylinder head and valves, but im sure that was through lack of maintanence. i take it off road all the time, my only problem is in the small gas tank, i cant get much more then 200 kliks on a tank.Posted Image

• TNC

Posted June 25, 2008 - 07:09 PM

I had an '85...for the wife...and an '86 for me. Later I owned an '88 and now an '01. I thought the '85 and '86 600's were great bikes, and frankly I thought they were better off road than either of my 650s. I put an Acerbis 6-gal tank on my '86 and made radiator shrouds from those humongous ones that came on the bike. I had a Works Performance top drawer remote reservoir rear shock on it and some modified dampers inside the stock forks. I've ridden all my KLRs in some very harsh conditions off road, and I still believe the 600 chassis is better off road than the 650. I even looked at the possibility of sticking my 650 motor in the '86, but something put me off from going that route...too long ago to remember the mechanical issue. I'd steer clear of '84 models, as they had no electric start, but the '85 and '86 is a solid bike IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RQBBAN

Posted June 26, 2008 - 03:14 AM

I have the '84 and I'm just 18, and I find it really hard to kick-start so I'm thinking of getting a new spark plug (I suppose that's what makes the spark when you kick start as well as when you use electric start).

Another idea of mine is to install a home made electrical starter using a lighter or something similar, anyone else but me who thinks that would be possible? I mean, shouldn't take that much of a spark to ignite the fuel...

Also, the sidecap (?) (The round metal thing that you tend to bust when driving on the left side of the bike instead of on the tires) is busted from a crash, I noticed that spare parts for KLR 600 are unusual in my area :thumbsup: would it be the same with the sidecap or is it used in other models asw?

• TNC

Posted June 26, 2008 - 07:18 AM

Boy...you're not kidding about how much of a PITA kick starting the '84 was. I was working at a Kawa dealership as a part time mechanic back then, and we hated to see one of those come in. Not sure exactly what was wrong with that setup, as my '85 and '86 started decently with the kickstarter. I even swapped my '86 kickstarter over to my '88 650, and it was decently easy to kickstart. Maybe the '84 didn't have the KACR...I can't remember now.

I don't know what would be involved in converting to electric start on the '84, but unless you find an '85/'86 donor, it's probably not worth the effort or money. I'd be more tempted to find an '85/'86 model for cheap and resurrect the newer bike from all the parts with an electric starter.

• RQBBAN

Posted June 27, 2008 - 03:45 AM

Boy...you're not kidding about how much of a PITA kick starting the '84 was. I was working at a Kawa dealership as a part time mechanic back then, and we hated to see one of those come in. Not sure exactly what was wrong with that setup, as my '85 and '86 started decently with the kickstarter. I even swapped my '86 kickstarter over to my '88 650, and it was decently easy to kickstart. Maybe the '84 didn't have the KACR...I can't remember now.

I don't know what would be involved in converting to electric start on the '84, but unless you find an '85/'86 donor, it's probably not worth the effort or money. I'd be more tempted to find an '85/'86 model for cheap and resurrect the newer bike from all the parts with an electric starter.

Sounds interesting, does anyone think it would be possible to install the KACR into the '84? I haven't seen the device, but I kno9w it stands for Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release...

• Cold Snail

Posted June 27, 2008 - 05:56 AM

Sounds interesting, does anyone think it would be possible to install the KACR into the '84? I haven't seen the device, but I kno9w it stands for Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release...

They have the decompresser fitted as standard.

If it's a bugger to start, check the valve clearances and the clean the air filter and carb (set the mixture screw out two turns).

• TNC

Posted June 28, 2008 - 06:46 PM

They have the decompresser fitted as standard.

If it's a bugger to start, check the valve clearances and the clean the air filter and carb (set the mixture screw out two turns).

Snail...I think there may be a model issue with the '84 that has something else going on rather than just the lack of an electric start. Every '84 I've seen...and I saw a few come through the shop I worked at...were absolute bears to start, even when everything was spot on. I think Kawa must have done some tweak to the electrical/ignition or something on the '85/'86 models, because they started quite decently with the kickstarter. Mainly just mentioning this as a historical curiosity, not an argument.

• Cold Snail

Posted June 29, 2008 - 02:24 AM

When the engine is a little worn, I agree, they can be a challenge to start.
I used to set my bike up to start from hot as stalling on a muddy off road section was a possibility, from cold I used to bump start it down the hill.

In the end, the head gasket blew and I put new piston rings while I was at it, when the bike was half assembled I thought 'why not give it a try' and it sputtered on the second kick and fired up on the fifth.

It's been fine ever since.

• rushingj

Posted July 02, 2008 - 10:59 AM

Sorry to hear your 84 is hard to start. I have an 84 KLR 600, starts within 3 kicks every time. When I bought it it would not start at all, no spark and no fule. It had been sitting for some time, but after I went through the carb and put a new plug in it...3 Kicks and she is going cold or hot. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2008 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2008
  • * * * * -
  • 5 reviews
  • Last review by b1pig
  • On September 15, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2003 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2003
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Cynictis
  • On May 31, 2014
Forums
Photo

Klx 650 c Trailtech speedo installation help by CantleyCustoms

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX/KLR 600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2006 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2006
  • * * * * -
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by Happsen
  • On September 02, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2009 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2009
  • * * * * -
  • 1 review
  • Last review by fl08
  • On August 06, 2013

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.