XR650R Fork Problem

9 replies to this topic
  • Halluci_n8

Posted January 14, 2007 - 04:12 PM

I have a slight dilemma with my fork. I broke the tab off the left fork tube that routes the brake line to the caliper. I have included a pic that shows which tab I am talking about. Its cast, and since its part of the fork tube, I am unsure of how to repair it. Tape seemed to work to get me thru the weekend when it happened, but I need a real fix here. A friend mentioned I should be able to weld it back on, but Im positive the heat will damage the fork internals.
Just looking for some ideas here, any help would be appreciated.

Posted Image

• rebelventurer

Posted January 14, 2007 - 04:40 PM

First, you can weld the tab back on TIG would be the best way, though when you weld cast aluminum it weakens the surrounding metal, and tends to break again nearby. A total disassembly of the fork leg would be required and new seals after repaired. Second, and the cheapest would be to JB weld it, when done right the stuff works. You would want to mask off the area around the repair as not to make a mess with the epoxy. Be certain to give plenty of cure time before assembling the parts. Third, watch ebay and pick up another set of forks fairly cheap. Good luck, let us know what method you use.
Oh, welcome to TT.

• porterdog

Posted January 15, 2007 - 05:10 AM

+1 JB Weld. Stuff is amazing. +1 masking, too.

• BWP Jockey

Posted January 16, 2007 - 06:31 PM

To weld it , you will have to disassemble that leg.Try the jb weld first.

• porterdog

Posted January 17, 2007 - 04:45 AM

Try the jb weld first.

Meant to say also that it's machinable, so if it goes TU you can grind it off and weld as normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Halluci_n8

Posted January 17, 2007 - 10:21 AM

JB Weld! Never even thought about it! Thanks guys, I will give that a shot and let you know how it works.
Also, I have experianced the pain of having the bolts snap where the right side STEEL peg brace mounts to the ALUMINUM frame... in sand whoops while tapped in 4th no less. I remember seeing on this site a company that offered a fix where the brace wraps around the frame, but cant remember who that company is or where to find them. Has anyone used this product on their 650's?

• porterdog

Posted January 17, 2007 - 11:57 AM

JI remember seeing on this site a company that offered a fix where the brace wraps around the frame, but cant remember who that company is or where to find them.

Never used it.

• xr650rkyle

Posted January 17, 2007 - 12:21 PM

Xr400's have a non metal white plastic clamp that holds the brake line.
If that would work, that would be an EASY FIX!
check it out on xr 400 fork legs....:lol:

• Halluci_n8

Posted February 06, 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hey guys, I used a product called cold weld, basically the same slime as JB weld, and it worked great. Time will tell if it holds up under riding, but its stuck like mad on there.
Thanks for the help! :censored:

• Boudroux

Posted February 06, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Never used it.

I have this foot peg fix and know several others who do and we are all very happy.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.