numb heels, tarsal tunnel?

8 replies to this topic
  • NY T100

Posted January 14, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Last summer I noticed that my heels started to feel numb at the back of both heels. I walk on concrete floors at work and spend a lot of time on my feet. Prior to this summer I wore custom orthotics to help with pain from high rigid arches in both feet. The orthotics I had (not true orthotics, but feet stabilizers from a chiroprator) were uncomfortable and hard so I stopped wearing them at the advice of my podiatrist.

I have been going to a podiatrist for cortisone injections into my ankles and for custom orthotics for the past 8 months. So far no relief and it has been a struggle to have orthotics made that actuallly fit and feel comfortable.

Does anyone know how or why tarsal tunnel starts and what is the most effective treatment for it?

Thanks.

• NY T100

Posted January 17, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Anyone?

• DrMark

Posted January 17, 2007 - 05:45 PM

Get an electrical test for tarsal tunnel. Tarsal tunnel is way less common than carpal tunnel, but its worth looking for.

• mikerides33

Posted January 17, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Last summer I noticed that my heels started to feel numb at the back of both heels. I walk on concrete floors at work and spend a lot of time on my feet. Prior to this summer I wore custom orthotics to help with pain from high rigid arches in both feet. The orthotics I had (not true orthotics, but feet stabilizers from a chiroprator) were uncomfortable and hard so I stopped wearing them at the advice of my podiatrist.

I have been going to a podiatrist for cortisone injections into my ankles and for custom orthotics for the past 8 months. So far no relief and it has been a struggle to have orthotics made that actuallly fit and feel comfortable.

Does anyone know how or why tarsal tunnel starts and what is the most effective treatment for it?

Thanks.

I had surgery on Jan. 5 to release the tarsal tunnel from severe compaction as well as a fasciotomy on my right foot. My plantar fascia on both feet was measured via ultrasound and found to be twice as thick as normal. I am a golfcourse superintendant and have been working on my feet for 10 years now. My winters are spent on a cement shop floor working on machines and that is when there is no releif.

As I said before : Surgery was done on Jan.5. It was an outpatient procedure and I slept right through it. Procedure took 2.5 hrs. The post-op check showed a great reduction in swelling and everything looked good. Staples are coming out on Mon. I was able to put partial weight on my foot 5 days after surgery and I started walking w/out crutches on Sunday.

After 5 years and thousands spent on shoes and orthotics. After thousands spent on doctors visits and a cast on my foot last year for a falsely detected hairline fracture in my right calcaeneus I will say this:

Don't waste anymore time. Research and find the best surgeon you can. After visiting Doctor Peter Blume in New Haven CT (I am sure Dr. Mark has read about him)I was found to have nothing wrong with any part of my foot structure and that I was suffering from a soft tissue problem. I was sent to Dr. James DeJesus who specializes in the soft tissue and nerves and my eyes were completely opened.

Dr. DeJesus made an incision on the inside portion of my ankle and went to work removing the thickened fascia and releasing the nerves in my foot that were so compressed. He went to all of them and made sure that there was plenty of room around them. He said the nerves actually visibly moved back into place.

Obviously since there was no structural problems it is important to start stretching as soon as your surgery is over. Keep in mind that there is nothing structural that will have to heal but obviously there is much post op healing that will take place -especially the incision. You also have to remember that since were talking nerves there is numbness that will werar off that no one can put an exact time frame on but it could take a few months.

Foot pain leads to other pain in your legs and back. You can't even stand for 5 minutes having a conversation with someone. Your mood and attitude becomes very bad and your family suffers along with you. My little daughter was born in Sept. and I simply decided that I wanted to be able to run and play with her when the time comes. Not to mention be able to walk after I get done riding.
I am 6'1"and weigh in at 185 and I don't have an ounce of fat on me. Why did I allow so much time to go by feeling like an old man? It didn't make sense.

Research it and get it done. I feel very fortunate to read over these threads and have real information from Dr. Mark and the others. We're all here to help each other:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NY T100

Posted January 18, 2007 - 04:33 PM

Thanks very much for the advice. I am going to a sports medicine orthopedist next week and you have given me some great ideas for questions. The nerve test is a good idea.

I was worried that being on concrete floors all day would be a significant factor. I may be able to pad the areas where I stand. It also sound like some spenco insoles may be good.

Thanks.

• mikerides33

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:59 PM

You may also want to ask for a compression test. They use a tool with 2 prongs with points on it at a certain spacing. They touch you with one and then you indicate when you can feel the next one touch. Depending on how far they have to widen the two for you to feel the second one touch helps them determine if you have lost sensation. They have a certain width for your age to start with.

I failed miserably. They had to widen the points considerably before I could feel two distinct pressures. More food for thought. Good luck:ride:

• NY T100

Posted January 19, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I am going to write the suggestions down and bring them in when I visit the orthopedist.

• NY T100

Posted January 31, 2007 - 05:48 PM

I went to see the Orthopaedic Surgeon last week and he does not think I have tarsal tunnel. He suggested I see a pedorthist and have some semi-custom full length flexible orthotics made. I stopped by the store right after my appt and had some made in less than an hour. I've been wearing them for a week and they are ok so far.

My new Doc suggested I stretch the heel area with a couple of different stretches and to hold the strestches for as long as a minute so the muscles relax. I had never heard of holding a stretch that long, but I gave it a shot and feel a little less numbness in the heel.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

• mikerides33

Posted January 31, 2007 - 05:59 PM

:ride: Sweet deal man. Glad to see that is was less severe. Keep stretching and take care of those feet!:ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

Things I learned in my first two hours on a dirt bike (Long) by Scootterass

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  40 replies
Wiki
Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact - last post by Jason Raines

Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Slam Dunk by dturk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  41 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.