anybody ride on ice?

7 replies to this topic
  • TL426

Posted January 14, 2007 - 02:03 PM

i got my fourwheeler out earlier on about 2 inches of solid ice, but it broke through and i flipped the damn thing over. got a good sized gash on my side and bent handlebars now. anyone ever ride their 426's on solid ice? im wondering how stupid i am for thinking about it.

• jroon

Posted January 14, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Your not stupid, just inexperienced, and maybe a little wacky. I would look for at least 4 inches of ice, and thats because it is not neccessarily uniform. We ride up here all winter (Manitoba) and as long as your safe, it's a blast. You should try some 1/2 inch Kold Kutters in your tires, you won't believe the traction...

• woodworker_dog

Posted January 14, 2007 - 04:26 PM

Do it all the time here in WI. What a blast. A lot like road racing only on ice. Setup the cones and go!:lol:

• TL426

Posted January 14, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Your not stupid, just inexperienced, and maybe a little wacky. I would look for at least 4 inches of ice, and thats because it is not neccessarily uniform. We ride up here all winter (Manitoba) and as long as your safe, it's a blast. You should try some 1/2 inch Kold Kutters in your tires, you won't believe the traction...

inexperienced, very, wacky, definitely. well here in missouri we havent had ice like this for years and it usually only sticks around for a couple days, so i was curious how insane it would be. im definitely going to have to get out tomorrow and try it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TL426

Posted January 15, 2007 - 02:33 PM

so yea, not a great plan... rode around the neighborhood in 1st gear where its been cleared, not so bad. as soon as i hit my backyard the front end washed out and im down. so i pick the bike back up and im stuck there for a couple minutes. so i pushed it out to the road, drove around and put her up. ill try again when theres a little snow on top.

• Jekel

Posted January 20, 2007 - 08:57 PM

Try to stay a gear high without stalling. It is fun around here in the snow and ice. Just have to watch turns and for stuff to slide into. Las ttime I rode in the ice was years ago on hte trails. It was a challenge.:lol:

• jimmyg

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:02 AM

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/jimmyg/tires/Hpim0032.jpg[/IMG]
Posted Image
Posted Image

we drag race here on the ice extend the swingarms spray nitrous run alchohol.run what you brung.

• robg

Posted January 21, 2007 - 03:52 PM

yea lots, try the aeira.com . 6 hr indurance and the worlds longest ice race the 24 hr numb bum. it's in Canada though. also check out a ice thickness table before you head onto the ice it might keep you dryier. have fun ice is cool.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.