Piston for 06' 450

4 replies to this topic
  • ethan

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:50 AM

I am going to replace the piston in my 06 YZ450. I have used OEM and Wiseco in the past, but have had trouble with the Wiseco and never with OEM. When I changed out the piston on my 05 YZ450 I tried a Wiseco, but could not for the life of me get the oil ring and spacers into their groove on the piston. After talking to Wiseco I ended up sending it back, buying OEM and putting that in the bike, which as always, ran great. I have also had bad luck with Wiseco in two stroke motors.
Wondering what some other people's experiences have been with OEM vs Wiseco in Yamahas specifically.
Thanks

• j753301

Posted January 14, 2007 - 11:01 AM

i have the same opinion as you about wiseco,i wont buy them.but i did hear that recently they are a lot better.i always buy je myself.the quality is amazing.great customer service.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • warrior86

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Just outta my own curiosity, why are you changing the piston on an 06? Shouldnt that have a couple years more life in it? I was led to believe these yamaha motors will last forever when properly maintained.

• ethan

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:13 PM

I'll look into the JE pistons.
The YZ will run a long time, but everything has it's limits. I race my bike every weekend during the race season and after 70 hours and a season of racing, the piston should be replaced. I would feel safe going 100 hours on a YZ before I changed the valves and valve guides, but the piston has a service limit like anything else. It all depends how hard you run your bike. I race the Vet B in PA.

• 02YZ426

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:21 PM

I'll look into the JE pistons.
The YZ will run a long time, but everything has it's limits. I race my bike every weekend during the race season and after 70 hours and a season of racing, the piston should be replaced. I would feel safe going 100 hours on a YZ before I changed the valves and valve guides, but the piston has a service limit like anything else. It all depends how hard you run your bike. I race the Vet B in PA.

I just raced my YZ hard all summer, but I'm going to go another year on the piston. My 426 went almost 600hrs on it original top end. Not saying you shouldnt change your piston at 100, but you definitley shouldn't need to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.