WR400 Cam Sprockets

1 reply to this topic
  • chinesespaceman

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hi Guys,

Following from my queries regarding cam timing I have checked the tensioner and seems to be okay. It's not overly strong, but returns quickly and smoothly.

The chain wasn't sitting neatly on the sprockets, so I figured to replace it anyway and inspect the crank sprocket and cam sprockets. Not go to the crank sprocket yet as need to make a tool to hold the flywheel, but take a look at the wear on the teeth:cry: :lol:

I take it that this is heavy wear and not normal.

So what are my options. If I want minimum downtime, do I reassemble with new chain, adjusting the valve clearances whilst I am in there and order some new cams?

Assuming the cams need replacing, what are the best?
Are the hotcams good alternative to OEM?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jekel

Posted January 19, 2007 - 06:42 PM

What year WR?
Are the teeth pitted and uneven?
Whatever route you go I would be sure to get the automatic decompression cam.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.