I need some help, PLEASE!!! 2003 YZ 450

9 replies to this topic
  • KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:15 AM

My brothers YZ 450 was leaking oil around the clutch side crankcase cover. I replaced the gasket and put everything to gether.

The problem I ran into was, there was oil leaking out of the oil sopply line that bolts on to the bottom of the crankcase cover. I took it apart and cleaned it best I could and reinstalled the hose and bolt. I didn't have a torque wrench with me and when tightening the bolt, I broke it off.

My brother had done this before on a differant bolt, but fortunately it was a crankcase cover bolt and we were able to take the cover off and access the bolt with a pair of needle nose pliers. This bolt is in the crankcase it's self and has no access.

I'm thinking tap any dye is about the only way to get the bolt out. Any other suggestions? Does anyone have a used clutch side crankcase cover for sale? Help please.

Here is a link to the OEM fiche of the parts. The part I need is number 10.
http://oem.thumperta...casecover1.aspx

• j753301

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:19 AM

i would use left hand drill bits and an easy out,that works most of the time for me.just make sure it good stuff like snap-on or similar quality

• FFRacing79

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Left hand drill bit will probably spin it right out. What can happen with these fittings is after repeated torqueing, the boss at the end of the oil line can warp and not seal properly. Another common mistake, especially after a complete tear down, is that the wrong dowel is used. There are other dowels with this motor that are only 2mm longer and if used at the oil pipe junction, will not allow the boss to seat. Tdub

• KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, it was the right bolt. I always put my bolts down in a circle representing the place they go in the case. I'd say it was a warped boss.

• KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:59 AM

I'm just going to tap and helicoil. I have some 7mm helicoils in the garage. That would work, right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • j753301

Posted January 14, 2007 - 11:04 AM

since you broke it tightening it its prob not crossthreaded or anything so it should come right out with a left hand drill bit,drill and heli coil only as a last resort.

• qkenuf4u

Posted January 14, 2007 - 11:08 AM

try the left hand drill bit first cause like said unless it was cross threaded it should roll right out. you could even try a normal drill bit in reverse to see if it will grab it and roll it out.

• KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 11:42 AM

Bad news,
He already started drilling the hole out for the helicoil. What should I do?

• qkenuf4u

Posted January 14, 2007 - 12:37 PM

if ya didnt drill to much then do the process above and rethread the hole with a tap, should be ok

• KVO-TN1-2beat

Posted January 14, 2007 - 02:22 PM

He got about a quarter inch into the case. I was able to use an easyout to back the bolt out. But what should I do now? I was thinking just drill and helicoil, because he used a bigger drill bit than the bolt. He also drilled it off center, so I would have to use the existing bolt holt to center it up. Suggestions?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.