Shock/Fork Revalve necessary??

12 replies to this topic
  • abby

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:40 AM

I am going to beef up my suspension (2005 XR650R) with .47kg springs up front and a 12kg spring in the rear (using Bruce Borynack's suspension chart).

I don't do "major" jumping or racing, all fast trail/woods (rocky) riding and occasionally following my kids around on an MX track when I can't stand just watching.

I know revalving will allow me to better fine tune things, but with these springs, would I HAVE to revalve to get any benefit? I am worried that these springs are too stiff for the stock valving. I don't want to go from way to soft to way to hard.

Thanks.

• daddyk

Posted January 14, 2007 - 09:14 AM

Going to stiffer springs will get rid of the mushy, wallowing feeling of the stocker. I've done both. Stiffer springs are better and you enjoy ridding more not having it blow through all the travel,but a resprung and revalved set up is a LOT better.

• rebelventurer

Posted January 14, 2007 - 04:05 PM

To get the most out of your suspension revalving would be best. But without revalving, on the front you can play with the oil weight and level to tune to your liking.

• HawkGT

Posted January 14, 2007 - 05:05 PM

Would heavier fork oil add more compression and rebound damping? What does changing the level do?

• abby

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:24 AM

Looking on the Eibach site, I found a local place in PA (pro-action) who can get the springs for me for what seems to be the going price ($210.00 for front/rear). They recommended .49kg up front and 12.0kg in the rear (I'm 6"4', 300 lbs) . I am not sure whether to go with .47 or .49 up front, seems to depend on whose chart your looking at.

Anyway, he told me that upgrading the springs will make the biggest difference, but they would do the revalving if I felt I needed it. I'll just go with the springs first, playing with the oil, and go from there.

• mjlang

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I have never ridden a bike that has a factory suspension that I didn't have re-done. The Honda 650R gets a HUGE overhaul in the suspension shop; its the most expensive overhaul I've paid for (850 bucks) but it was worth it. We did some SCORE desert racing with the 650R and the suspension worked well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HawkGT

Posted January 15, 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have never ridden a bike that has a factory suspension that I didn't have re-done. The Honda 650R gets a HUGE overhaul in the suspension shop; its the most expensive overhaul I've paid for (850 bucks) but it was worth it. We did some SCORE desert racing with the 650R and the suspension worked well.

What/where did you have done?

This is a timely thread for me. As I get faster through the desert on my 02' XR650R I keep having this feeling my suspension could be better. Pretty sure it's all original fluid. :lol: I fiddled with the clickers--mostly added damping--and it's better. I don't know much about having susp revalved and I'm not sure where to start.

Can most any suspension shop do a decent re-valve job? How do I choose a shop? I'm not sure how to articulate precisely what I need my suspension to do other than describe where/how I ride.

• BWB63

Posted January 15, 2007 - 03:45 PM

The fork and shock need lighter fluid to respond as they were designed to.

I have done quite a few XR650R suspensions with a good group of them racing the Score Baja races and AMA district #37. If you have some wrench talent then this will get you like said, by a few alread....night and day difference once do right.

http://www.xr650r.bo...r650r_forks.htm

http://www.xr650r.bo...r650r_shock.htm

http://www.xr650r.bo.../suspension.htm

Posted Image
That is 55' table top without trouble and plusher/smoother on the small stuff as well. In every way 10X better then stock 190 pound ride + gear. .45kg/mm fork springs, compression valve drill from 2.65mm to 3.65mm and desert shim stack 2.5wt ultra light suspension fluid. 10kg/mm shock spring with desert shim stack, 2.5wt ultra light suspension fluid.

• abby

Posted January 15, 2007 - 04:49 PM

The fork and shock need lighter fluid to respond as they were designed to.

I have done quite a few XR650R suspensions with a good group of them racing the Score Baja races and AMA district #37. If you have some wrench talent then this will get you like said, by a few alread....night and day difference once do right.

http://www.xr650r.bo...r650r_forks.htm

http://www.xr650r.bo...r650r_shock.htm

http://www.xr650r.bo.../suspension.htm

I've read through most of your pages - not sure I'd want to tackle it myself. I found a local place (PRO-ACTION), I may hand it over next winter and just ride on the new springs for now. I was going to put lighter oil in the forks, I'll read your shock page to see if it's reasonable for me to change the shock oil.

I'm kinda confused - you have two charts with different settings - which one should I go by?

http://www.xr650r.bo.../suspension.htm says .47 kg front, 12.0 rear (300 lb).

http://www.xr650r.bo...r650r_forks.htm says .49 kg front, 12.5 rear

I ordered a 0.49 front and 12.0 rear - should I bump it up to 12.5?

• BWB63

Posted January 15, 2007 - 06:04 PM

If that is you in your avatar then you sure don't need springs that heavy. I think the reason the charts are different is because I couldn't find anyone that sold 12.5kg/mm springs. Inless you are jumping the lighter sping will be better. There comes a point where you have to cheat some. If you go to stiff, even if you weigh a lot, the ride becomes harder to control. I should put shim stacks for heavier riders on the site. The compression doesn't change as much as the rebound. It takes more rebound shims to control all that spring force.

• abby

Posted January 15, 2007 - 08:01 PM

If that is you in your avatar then you sure don't need springs that heavy. I think the reason the charts are different is because I couldn't find anyone that sold 12.5kg/mm springs. Inless you are jumping the lighter sping will be better. There comes a point where you have to cheat some. If you go to stiff, even if you weigh a lot the ride become harder to control. I should put shim stack for the heavier riders out there on the site. You compression doesn't cange as much as the rebound. It take more rebound shims to control all that spring force.

No, my avatar is my 7 year old daughter on her crf50. I do get a bit more air than that.

I'll stick with the 12's then. Thanks for the advice.

I just got the parts for uncorking, springs will be here in 3-4 days, time to start wrenching.

• BWB63

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:52 PM

I was trying to make a joke about the size of the rider. I was sure it was one of your kids. I had such a great time watching my three boyz ride, now 14,16,18 and ripping it up. It was much better when they were 8,10,12! Charish the good years.

• abby

Posted January 16, 2007 - 04:51 AM

I was trying to make a joke about the size of the rider. I was sure it was one of your kids. I had such a great time watching my three boyz ride, now 14,16,18 and ripping it up. It was much better when they were 8,10,12! Charish the good years.

This is the best time of my life. All I did in my younger days was ride. Had a street bike since I was 16, and still do. But I hurt my knee pretty bad about 12 years ago in the dirt and couldn't ride for a while. Plus got married and had kids and spent all my "riding" time with them. But when my kids were 6 and 7 (1-1/2 years ago) I got going in the dirt again with them. My wife rides a quad. It is a blast.

If I may ask a stupid question - do I want lighter or heavier oil? Most people (including you I think) go lighter, but it seems (to me) if the oil is lighter, then the higher spring force will allow the suspension to rebound with even less damping. Or would lighter oil address the suspension "locking" effect with heavier oil you spoke of in another post?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.