how loud is my stock 450 ( 06)

11 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:22 AM

hey guys im going to be racing a GNCC in about 6 weeks and i have to go into tech with my bike, now i have the stock exhaust on it and im just wondering if im going to pass tech...

thanks guys

• RAMARION

Posted January 14, 2007 - 02:15 PM

96 db = stock exhaust

• RAMARION

Posted January 14, 2007 - 03:01 PM

my bad....stock exhaust will meet 98 db, not 96

• mxpro125

Posted January 14, 2007 - 04:02 PM

My buddies 06 YZ450F is way louder then my 07. Kinda strange

• SurvivorMan

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:12 PM

my 06 450 came in at 100 db. the 07 was made quieter from factory. try Pro Moto Billet end cap with the silent insert, you will be gauranteed a pass with this and it is cost effective and looks trick.
I have a fmf Q2 for sale

• NorCal

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:56 PM

my 06 450 came in at 100 db. the 07 was made quieter from factory. try Pro Moto Billet end cap with the silent insert, you will be gauranteed a pass with this and it is cost effective and looks trick.
I have a fmf Q2 for sale

How was the 07 quieter from the factory? Is it a different muffler?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted January 14, 2007 - 10:28 PM

How was the 07 quieter from the factory? Is it a different muffler?

The main difference is a 10mm reduction in core diameter. The stock end cap opening is also visably smaller and I believe the can is longer as well. The 2007 stock muffler is supposed to come in at 96 db w/out a quiet insert.

• NorCal

Posted January 15, 2007 - 09:38 AM

The main difference is a 10mm reduction in core diameter. The stock end cap opening is also visably smaller and I believe the can is longer as well. The 2007 stock muffler is supposed to come in at 96 db w/out a quiet insert.

Hmmm.:lol: I have a 2007 muffler on my 2006 YZ450. I was going to get the quiet insert until I read this thread. It makes me wonder if that would fly with the ranger. I would hate to get a ticket for not meeting the 96 dB limit.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 15, 2007 - 11:17 PM

Hmmm.:lol: I have a 2007 muffler on my 2006 YZ450. I was going to get the quiet insert until I read this thread. It makes me wonder if that would fly with the ranger. I would hate to get a ticket for not meeting the 96 dB limit.

You're up in sac right?

The best thing for you to do is to go to prarie shitty or mammoth bar and request a courtesy sound check. Also make sure the ranger sets the vibrometer for the correct RPM. You can find RPM testing data at http://ohv.parks.ca....sed_2-17-06.pdf. By doing the courtesy test like that, you won't get a ticket.

BTW there is a 1.5 db margin of error with the test. My bike with old packing blew 97 and change and I still got the "sound check" sticker or whatever. With the new packing its right around 96 db. :confused:

• NorCal

Posted January 16, 2007 - 09:06 PM

You're up in sac right?

The best thing for you to do is to go to prarie shitty or mammoth bar and request a courtesy sound check. Also make sure the ranger sets the vibrometer for the correct RPM. You can find RPM testing data at http://ohv.parks.ca....sed_2-17-06.pdf. By doing the courtesy test like that, you won't get a ticket.

BTW there is a 1.5 db margin of error with the test. My bike with old packing blew 97 and change and I still got the "sound check" sticker or whatever. With the new packing its right around 96 db. :confused:

Yeah... I was thinking about doing the courtesy check thing. Last time I was at Stonyford the Rangers tested all 3 of us. It really took a lot of time out of our day. I'm really not too concerned about failing with this 07 muffler though. If I do happen to fail, I'll just get the PMB insert and be done.:lol:

• red7

Posted January 16, 2007 - 09:45 PM

Man, I never would have guessed that my '06 450 was pushing 100db stock. It's louder then my WR450 but still not that loud. It could be 200db here in Mexico and nobody would care but I will have to be careful when I'm riding in the States during the summer.

• jdog53

Posted January 18, 2007 - 09:36 PM

How much do you want for the q2?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.