YZ426 to WR450 upgrade, should I...

Hello all,

I know you have seen this before, but I am looking at upgrading from my 02 426 to the new WR 450. I do not race but I like to go fast. My YZ has been an excellent bike for me. However, I really like the look and feel of the new WR's. I also like the magic button and kickstand. From what I have read in this forum, the WR is pretty nice. I really like the power of my 426 and it looks like I will need to tinker a little with the WR to get it to roar. I am nervious about the decision having never ridden a WR before. Opinions welcome, please!

Thanks...

40Plusmxr

I went from a '02 YZ426F myself. I liked my 426, but it felt heavy compared to the WR450F whenI rode won a few years ago. I rode a WR450F of a friends, and I was hooked from that point on. I did a few mods to my 426 also, exh. side of head was polished, FMF exh. system. Ty Davis throttle set up. K/N air filter,FMF Jet kit, PowerNow. Bike ran awesome, but no magic buttom either or kick stand for when I wanted to take a break. I've had my 450 since Aug' '06 now, I love it, I've done the free mods to it so far. The 450 feels lighter also while riding vs. the 426. It is heavier but more agressive and I feel I can throw it around much easier then my old 426. Hope this info. is helpfull. You won't be dissapointed if you switch over the the 450. Do I miss my 426, I used too.

Mark

'06 WR450F free mods for now

Hey Thumper 426,

Thanks for the info. That is the exact position I am in now! I guess my son will get my 02 426 and I will sell his 01 426 and get me a new WR450. I did a bad thing and went to the dealer and sat on one. It had a real nice feel to it! Now for the creative financing...

40Plusmxr

I pay $69.00 a month right now through Yamaha. If I don't get it paid off by end of the year, then I'll refinance through bank for 6 months. Cheaper intrest rate for a short while at least that way.

Once you ride it, you'll wish you had done it sooner, I know I did. I've been on bikes off and on for over 25 years. I'm 39 now, but on the bike, I'm a kid again.

Mark

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I have been riding since I was 10 years old. That puts me at about 40 years of riding off and on. I am not going to do the math! I still love to ride and now my kids ride with me, it's great!

Thanks for the input...

40Plusmxr (actually more now)

Well, I went to the bike shop to look at the WR450. Long story short, it's in my shop. I really like the feel of the bike. I rode down the driveway and was pleased with the bike. I will break it in and then do the throttle, gray wire and exhaust fix. I will be reading all the tech stuff now. I will say that the bike runs really good already. I just want more poop. Thanks for all the inputs guys.

40Plusmxr

Well, I went to the bike shop to look at the WR450. Long story short, it's in my shop. I really like the feel of the bike. I rode down the driveway and was pleased with the bike. I will break it in and then do the throttle, gray wire and exhaust fix. I will be reading all the tech stuff now. I will say that the bike runs really good already. I just want more poop. Thanks for all the inputs guys.

40Plusmxr

Ever heard of the mototune break in procedure? You can have some fun if you do it that way.

Right on man. From your first post, I gather its an '07 WR450F? I went and checked on the '07 I ordered back in July also yesterday,it fainally showed up, but I bought my '06 in Aug' 06. I couldn't wait, so I grabbed it vs. the '07 Wife said no to the '07 last night also, oh well, one bike is better than nothing I say. I tried, ha-ha. After you ride it a few times vs. the 426. Well, you'll know what I'm talking about, theres just no comparassion. Sad but true.

Mark

'06 WR450F free mods for now?:confused:

I wanted to ask you, what mods have you done to your 426 if any and any clutch problems ever?

Mark

Mark,

I have 2 426's, an 01 and an 02. I can say that I have not had any problems with either of them. They both are running FMF Q's, but the 02 has the bomb header. There was a noticable difference with the header. I will be selling the 01 now to help pay for my 07 WR450.

40Plsmxr

UPDATE!!

I did the free fixes last night to my 07 WR450. First, whoever said that the sub frame comes off in minutes wasn't tell the whole story. Lots of wire bundles in there! I took my seat off and noticed that I needed more tools. So I replaced the throttle stop, pulled the grey wire out of the connector and removed both baffles from the muffler. Huge, HUGE, difference in performance. The exhaust is louder for sure, but I cannot tell if it is too loud yet. I will fire up my 02 426 and compare. More to come...

40Plusmxr

Thanks for the info. on the 426. I rode mine hard, I went through three clutches in the 3.5 years I owned it. I heard the '01 426's had clutch problems is why I asked. Suppossed to have been corrected for '02. Just an FYI, I moved my magic button under the bar pad and kill switch. Fit like a glove and prevented them from being busted off again, found out the hard way one time.?

Mark

Hello...I am an 02 YZ 426er myself, but thinking I would be best served with the new WR like you guys. One more question to add to the conversation:

Any of you take your WR's to the sand dunes? I am wondering if the wide ratio tranny will make the WR a dud in the sand hill climbs. Any thoughts??

Similarly, for very slow and technical dirt riding, big boulders, tight trails does the wide ratio tranny make it difficult...create extra clutching?

Thanks!

Any of you take your WR's to the sand dunes? I am wondering if the wide ratio tranny will make the WR a dud in the sand hill climbs. Any thoughts??

Similarly, for very slow and technical dirt riding, big boulders, tight trails does the wide ratio tranny make it difficult...create extra clutching?

The wide ratio transmission was designed for both of those scenerios. You will be able to find a gear to fit any hill, and first gear is much lower than the YZF or any other MX bike for that matter. Plus, you get one more gear.

Basically from what I have experienced, 2nd gear on a WR is a little faster than 1st on an MX bike. So first will be the gear of choice in the really tight stuff with much less or no extra clutching.

2007 YZ450F 1st gear ratio -- 27/14 (1.929)

2002 WR 426F 2nd gear ratio -- 26/15 (1.733)

(higher the # the lower the gearing)

That should give you a clearer perspective of how it is geared.?

Not to high jack the thread, but my 426 did okay in sand, but my WR is much more forgiving. Handles easier but I don't feel as if it rev's as high, do to gearing and mods comapred to my 426. Trails are awesome w/the WR hands down.

Good info. from Jwar1r1t3 also.

Mark

06' WR450F free mods for now

Thanks guys, this is really helping me with the decision. I think I will keep the 2002 YZ426 for this season and snag a 2007 WR450 for next season. This was a very helpful thread!

Not to mention the fact that in CA only the WR's carry a green sticker, it's really the only choice we have unless you're a track junkie.

OK, I took the beast out for the first time yesterday. To answer my original question "should I", HELL YES! I am sooo pleased! After a little break in time riding with my daughter I went for the blast with my son. He is now riding my 02 426. I found that the power was different than the 426, but that could be in part the transmission gearing. The bike pulls like a tractor, never stops. I found myself going much faster with more control. The handling is much more controled. I felt like I could throw the bike around effortlessly. If there is anyone out there thinking about making the switch, DO IT! I can't wait until next weekend to go out again!

On another note, I found that my air cleaner had the proverbial hole in the cage. I plugged it with a set screw for now. The bike shop has since ordered the correct cage for me from Yamaha.

Thanks for all the inputs!

40Plusmxr