santa rosa ca...606?

4 replies to this topic
  • thumpin hard

Posted January 13, 2007 - 10:35 PM

i still am looking for riders nearby to hit the hills with..anybody near here? and i am thinking of running a mt 21 front and i 606 rear..i need more grip on the front and i eat rear tires pretty quick in the dirt(rocky,loose).anybody running this combo?:lol:

• tirebiter

Posted January 14, 2007 - 05:40 AM

I'm in your area (Crockett) and ride a 650L.
I've tried both the 606's & 21's front & rear. Found that both rears have about the same traction characteristics in the dirt, but the 21 is way less squirmy on the road. As for the fronts, 21 is worlds better. I was following a guy on the trail yesterday that was running a 606 front, he face-planted his DRZ twice due to that 606. And he is a very experienced rider.
During the wet months I run an IRC M5b in the rear, Pirelli MT18hd front. Pure dirt tires- great combo for the dirt, terrible on the street. In the summer I slap the MT21's on and call it done.
The trick to getting the 21's to hook up is air pressure- 12~14 psi for the dirt, 18~22 on the street. Tire gauge & small bicycle pump & yer all set. :lol:

Here's a Northbay website with a growing group of dirt riders.

Lots of N.Cal rides organized on this site..

Hope to see ya on the trail sometime,

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpin hard

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:52 PM

thanks Dan,i usually run 10-12 in the dirt i have a new 606 i want to put on for the rear...everybody in the shops here say the mt 21 is not very good in the dirt..they keep saying run the i am not surprised as to the 606 being more squirmy and the street with the smaller knobs..just seems it would do better in the dirt. thanks for the input i will check out the irc m5b. used to be michelin was the bomb..nobody says anything about them anymore.. by the way,i love to ride a nice any suggestions nearby?

• tirebiter

Posted January 15, 2007 - 03:21 AM

I like the Michelin s12's on my KTM 250, but found that the heavier, higher powered bikes eat it alive.

Here's the M5B, beefy sucker..:lol:
I'm currently running the 130 width on the L, but ran the 140 on my 650R..Doubt if the 140 would fit the L without cutting some plastic out of the way here & there..
Posted Image

• AngryShawn

Posted January 16, 2007 - 12:24 AM

I'm just south of you in Rohnert Park. I'd love to go ride sometime, send me a pm or email: shawn at poolrider dot com. In fact I may be going to Upper Lake/CC camp this weekend.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.