air filter ?

1 reply to this topic
  • xr-jorger

Posted January 13, 2007 - 09:28 PM

any body try running an open filter, im thinking of trying to lose the airbox and get crf450 side panels, just wondering if any1 has had any issues with a filter straight off the carb?????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motopsycho650

Posted January 14, 2007 - 08:06 AM

I've never thought of that, so I'm just thinking here. It might be hard to get it to fit in the frame. You'll also have to figure out how to support the carb, since it just hangs between the engine & airbox. I filter will get dirty & clogged very quickly, even while trailering it down a dirt road. And lastly, if a backfire happened, there would be nothing to contain the explosion.

Massive power gain though. I'd get a twin air powerflow kit or a Uni filter if you can. If not, try to cut out the backfire screen out of the filter cage. Be carefull not to leave and metal that could come loose. See if you can cut/drill some holes in the sides of the airbox, for better flow. Every bike I've ever done this too experienced a very noticale power gain, provided the jetting is correct.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 1 reply

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.