High compression question

42 replies to this topic
  • virus619

Posted January 20, 2007 - 10:12 AM

Well, yeah it will.. Detonate, run hot, wear out faster.. If the factory thought it would be a better bike they would've ran that piston. Why do you think they did'nt.. Cause they would have to run it so rich for pump gas so it wont detonate. Just go ahead and do it and getcha a barrel of race fuel and mix it 50.50 when you fill up.. Your good to go.. That barrel will last a couple months its only 350.00 shoot it might last you 6 months. Maybe even a year.. Why are you so against running the right fuel? If your so concerned about doing the right thing cause you cant afford it then go back stock... I've told you all I can on this subject and that should be enough, make your decision and follow through with it, let me know how it works. Good Luck

I never said I had a problem with running the right fuel or if I had a problem with the money. Its unpractical to run race gas in a bike that I need to drive to work.... It would be a complete waste of money. I wont have to time to drive all the way home when I need to fill up. That would be why I asked because if I can run it with pump gas then great, but if I can't then im not going to bother putting it in and and having to buy 350 $ of race gas a month...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BIG HAL

Posted January 21, 2007 - 09:42 AM

I never said I had a problem with running the right fuel or if I had a problem with the money. Its unpractical to run race gas in a bike that I need to drive to work.... It would be a complete waste of money. I wont have to time to drive all the way home when I need to fill up. That would be why I asked because if I can run it with pump gas then great, but if I can't then im not going to bother putting it in and and having to buy 350 $ of race gas a month...

I agree with you.. I dont think it will be 350.00 a month though.. But no, its not practical!! Like I said do it stock and you'll be fine..

• FASK

Posted March 02, 2007 - 11:13 PM

Just to clear somthing up.. you guys are right with the higher octane fuel being more resistant to predetonation.
However,
Lower octane fuel does not make more power because it burns faster, it actually has a higher caloric value.
Nasa talk...
There is some excellent literature available regarding the theory and building of race engines. I highly suggest 4-stroke performance by Graham Bell.

If Yamaha made the engine perfect from the factory, it would be impossible to extract any extra horsepower out of it. Im sure this engine could be pushed to 60rwhp... that guy with the 'pimped' 03 is probably getting close to it but like he said, it becomes top end power.

I'm sure you and the boys do great at the track Hal, but you should know better than anyone else, racing is not all about hp. I would much rather have 'pimped out' suspension on my race bike than a 'pimped out engine'. On the other hand, a guy riding a 450cc single down a highway on his way to work, he might want more power.

Virus,
If these other guys are running the 13:1 piston with good results on pump gas, it should work out for you, but you already knew that. If you can still run the stock springs with the hotcam, i would suggest that instead as it would be less strain on your engine, at the expense of lower fuel eficiency.

I just had to get this stuff off my chest after reading this post:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.