WR400 - Good Bike?

16 replies to this topic
  • TenBitKLR

Posted January 13, 2007 - 08:05 PM

I've been riding in the dirt a good deal on my KLR250 and I need to get a dedicated dirt bike. I've seen a number of WR400's on ebay/cl for a reasonable price. I'd like to get an e-start bike, but will have to wait.

Are these good bikes? What are the pro's and con's for the 1999-2000 years?

If it matters, I'm 5'10 and 185. I can flat foot a WR250 just fine, just never sat on the WR400.

• steve lemley

Posted January 13, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Im 5 10 and can barely touch the ground on mine with the sag set right but riding that way has made me a much better rider. I love my wr400f if you look at the reviews for around this year when they first came out, they were the next best thing to sliced bread. Buy it, you wont have to get the suspenstion done because of your weight. Its a bulletproof bike that will run forever with no major work being done.

• TenBitKLR

Posted January 13, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Steve.

• SXP

Posted January 14, 2007 - 07:51 AM

Are these good bikes?

Hell yes :confused: :crazy: I hope that helped - but then I'm very biased :lol:

• ash105

Posted January 15, 2007 - 11:03 PM

I changed to a WRF400 a couple of months ago from a KLX300 and what a difference. A lot more usable torque and a hell of a lot more power. It usually starts after a couple of kicks, hot or cold, so it doesn't really need a button and the kickstart stroke is a lot shorter than the KLX as well. The only drawback is the front end doesn't feel as stable and tends to wash out on corners unless you are right up on the tank.

• steve lemley

Posted January 16, 2007 - 07:33 AM

I changed to a WRF400 a couple of months ago from a KLX300 and what a difference. A lot more usable torque and a hell of a lot more power. It usually starts after a couple of kicks, hot or cold, so it doesn't really need a button and the kickstart stroke is a lot shorter than the KLX as well. The only drawback is the front end doesn't feel as stable and tends to wash out on corners unless you are right up on the tank.

I had this issue also until I had the forks revalved and springed. It felt like a new bike after that. Ive never used my 5th gear so much. It corners 500% better and I went from complaining about it to stressing the importance of this mod because of benifit is HUGE.:lol:

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted January 16, 2007 - 11:52 AM

I love mine! the ONLY thing I wish it had is an e-button:(

• kirkw

Posted January 17, 2007 - 01:25 PM

I have a 2K wr400. Best bike I have ever had. 2K had some improvments over the 98 and 99 models, mostly in the suspension area if I recall. I have ridden the newer models and they are indeed lighter and great bikes. Still, I find my trusty steed to be up to any task I ask of it. 2K an dbelow also have stainless valves vs. titanium. Some say that SS lasts longer. I have had absolutley no problems so far (peform all the recommended Maint.) and plan on riding this one for a while!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jekel

Posted January 18, 2007 - 07:25 PM

I still have my 99 which I got new and it is still strong. Do the maintenance as recommended. Make sure you get one in good shape as these are expensive to rebuild it trashed. A good 400 will make you smile for years to come.

• higgy456

Posted April 09, 2010 - 04:34 AM

i just bought one of these wrf400 and boy what a machine the power is fantastic but i am having a little trouble trying to find out what year it is , it says its a 2002 on the reg plate but wanted to find out how many years they made these bikes for and what year mine was built?

• Ebola

Posted April 09, 2010 - 06:00 AM

I have a 98 and I've only ridden it twice. It has more than enough power when I need it. I'm 6'5" and 240 lbs and it pulls me around quite nicely. I hope it lasts as long as people say. Mine was kinda neglected when I got it, but runs great now after I did some maintenance.

• teamtree

Posted April 09, 2010 - 06:54 AM

Once you learn how to start you will love it. I hated mine until someone showed me the proper way to start it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 09, 2010 - 09:34 AM

Once you learn how to start you will love it. I hated mine until someone showed me the proper way to start it.

Get an auto decompression exhaust cam and you wont have that issue :thumbsup:

We put one in my buddies 426 after owning the bike for 8 years and one would have though he'd gotten e-start or something....he was happy

• teamtree

Posted April 09, 2010 - 09:49 AM

Get an auto decompression exhaust cam and you wont have that issue :thumbsup:

We put one in my buddies 426 after owning the bike for 8 years and one would have though he'd gotten e-start or something....he was happy

I solved it by selling mine and getting an 08 WR450:p

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted April 09, 2010 - 10:00 AM

I solved it by selling mine and getting an 08 WR450:p

That works too :thumbsup: :lol: :)

• ArcticWR400

Posted April 10, 2010 - 08:19 AM

i just bought one of these wrf400 and boy what a machine the power is fantastic but i am having a little trouble trying to find out what year it is , it says its a 2002 on the reg plate but wanted to find out how many years they made these bikes for and what year mine was built?

I think (don't quote me) that after 2000 Yammy didn't make WR400's any more, I thought they were 426s and later 450s? If yours is a WR400F then it's a 98, 99, or a 2000 I believe...

• cjard

Posted April 11, 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yamaha will be happy to tell you if you phone them with the frame number (on the neck of the frame, near the handlebars, right hand side) and the engine number (on a flat section of casing under the exhaust pipe)

You can also get these numbers off the V5 reg doc

http://www.yamaha-mo...uk/contacts.jsp

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.