2007 WR450 Throttle Stop Mod..Do you have to drop the shock?

5 replies to this topic
  • Martman

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:28 PM

I just got my WR and am ready to ride. I went to do the throttle stop mod prior to riding and the new aluminum frame seems to be in the way. Do I need to just break the bike in and then drop the wheel and shock to get to the carb and do all the FREE mods at the same time? Thanks for your time.
Marty

• SXP

Posted January 13, 2007 - 02:37 PM

I just got my WR and am ready to ride. I went to do the throttle stop mod prior to riding and the new aluminum frame seems to be in the way. Do I need to just break the bike in and then drop the wheel and shock to get to the carb and do all the FREE mods at the same time? Thanks for your time.
Marty

If you are a patient guy and want to break the motor in gently, then ride the bike as is - the throttle stop will severely hampers the "fun factor" - and then do all the mods when you have all the parts collected to do the mods. I say this 'cause it's a PITA getting to the carb and for this reason you might want to minimize the number of time you have to tear into it. And yes, you do have to swing the subframe up and remove the shock for easy access to the carb. If you do your homework here on the WR forum, you should have a pretty good idea of what you need to buy/collect and there's a good chance you will get it right the first time and only have to tear into the bike once.

• Martman

Posted January 14, 2007 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the info. Just got back from 25 miles...what a blast. I know I need to do the mods to unleash the beast but man it was fun compared to the DR 650! Off to do the oil change and wait for parts. Thank for the help!
Marty

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crackjacker

Posted July 18, 2007 - 07:46 PM

I actually pulled the throttle stop screw by taking a 1/2 drive socket wrench, putting a 6" extension onto it, a 1/2 to 1/4 adapter to a 4" 1/4 extension, to a 3" 1/4 extension to a 1/4 socket with a 4mm allen head driver tip on the end, went between the tire and the swing arm, all the way up. I know this sounds retarded, but it worked, and was a lot easier than pulling the carb or dropping the shock.

• ccoates445

Posted July 18, 2007 - 08:43 PM

I actually pulled the throttle stop screw by taking a 1/2 drive socket wrench, putting a 6" extension onto it, a 1/2 to 1/4 adapter to a 4" 1/4 extension, to a 3" 1/4 extension to a 1/4 socket with a 4mm allen head driver tip on the end, went between the tire and the swing arm, all the way up. I know this sounds retarded, but it worked, and was a lot easier than pulling the carb or dropping the shock.

Or just get an extra long 1/4" extension, but the McGyver approach works too. But really, a more agressive break-in is in order for better long term results. Just be careful not to go long on WOT until after 50 miles. Then no sustained speeds longer than a miniute or 2. Good strong pulls up and down the range. Do make sure your jetting is correct for your riding environment. Oh yeah, have fun!

• face_plant

Posted July 19, 2007 - 11:44 AM

i just looseded the carb boots and spun it a little took off the squarish cover and took it out. cut inserted and vroom

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.